Thread: Simmons' Defense Has "Slumped" This Year

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts

Simmons' Defense Has "Slumped" This Year

I've noticed quite a bit this year that Simmons hasn't made plays I'm accustomed to him making. Not that he's been bad, he certainly hasn't. But at the same time, he hasn't been awesome either. I thought maybe I was just imagining things, but then came across this article on fangraphs.

Link

The plays in this article are extremely difficult. But I've noticed others that easier that were not made - including that two error (one charged) game in St. Louis.

Anyways, I do hope this is just a slump, and last year was not a crazy aberration. We are certainly paying him to be a defensive wizard.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    The easy answer to this is that Simmons' 2013 defensive season was one of the best by ANYONE in MLB HISTORY. To surpass that kind of performance would require something almost inhuman, and to expect matching or surpassing is just a little unreasonable. Simmons, I think, is working on his hitting this year -- which is as it should be. His defensive reputation is intact.

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    That 2-error game was the game after he came back from his day off for "family reasons". When the errors happened, I wondered if whatever was going on with his family was distracting him a bit. Still, hard to live up to last year.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    The easy answer to this is that Simmons' 2013 defensive season was one of the best by ANYONE in MLB HISTORY. To surpass that kind of performance would require something almost inhuman, and to expect matching or surpassing is just a little unreasonable. Simmons, I think, is working on his hitting this year -- which is as it should be. His defensive reputation is intact.
    Truth.

Would also like to point out that while it's early and not as impressive to do in RF as SS, Heyward is on his way to a season like Tron's last year. We really are blessed to have 2 true gold glove lock defenders on this team.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Truth.
    Would also like to point out that while it's early and not as impressive to do in RF as SS, Heyward is on his way to a season like Tron's last year. We really are blessed to have 2 true gold glove lock defenders on this team.
    Your adoration with our light hitting, leadoff RF continues. There's no way for Heyward to have a season like Andrelton had last year. He plays RF and doesn't get anywhere near the chances. Yes, he plays great D and for that he should be in CF.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Your adoration with our light hitting, leadoff RF continues. There's no way for Heyward to have a season like Andrelton had last year. He plays RF and doesn't get anywhere near the chances. Yes, he plays great D and for that he should be in CF.
    Seems to me this part:

Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    while it's early and not as impressive to do in RF as SS, Heyward is on his way to a season like Tron's last year.
    Would agree with what you said. Comparably to other RFers, yes, it's possible. It won't have the overall impact on the team, but relative to the position, it completely makes sense. Don't let that get in the way of your hate, though. Hate on.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-22-2014)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Seems to me this part:

Would agree with what you said. Comparably to other RFers, yes, it's possible. It won't have the overall impact on the team, but relative to the position, it completely makes sense. Don't let that get in the way of your hate, though. Hate on.
    Shoot did I miss a chance to pile on hate for Heyward?

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    I had noticed the same thing as sturg, but I didn't want to say anything for fear that it was just a matter of me watching many more games this year than last (hurray Extra Innings).

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Your adoration with our light hitting, leadoff RF continues.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    You are right in that Heyward doesn't get as many chances in right as anyone playing shortstop. But what has to be accounted for is that when Andrelton makes a great play he is almost always saving a single. When Heyward is making a great play it is going to be extra bases most of the time. Those tend to add up.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (05-23-2014)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    We saw in San Fran and St. Louis, Heyward turn a few plays from a guaranteed double/triple to a long single.
    Forever Fredi