Thread: 2013 Braves Mid-Season Prospects List: 15-30

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

2013 Braves Mid-Season Prospects List: 15-30

Thnis is the first half of the first-ever Chop Country Prospects list. Not solely my opinions; thanks to thethe for putting some things into better context. Prospects 1-15 will be posted within 24 hours.

16. Carlos Salazar, RHP. Going 100 percent on potential here. Retired no one in his second pro appearance. But everyone loves his arm and the Braves paid for the honor, so here he sits for the moment.

17. Victor Caratini, 3B-C. Has seemingly settled on third as his pro position. Done more than his 4-4 debut, but the Puerto Rican is a hitting machine. He's the third and last of this year's picks to be ranked here.

18. Shae Simmons, RHP. Mainly a guy who can place his 96 mp fastball, but his potential to add another pitch. On a pace for 30 saves this year.

19. Carlos Perez, LHP. Once a top 10 guy, he fell off the face of the map in 2011. Reinvented as setup guy/LOOOGY, he has recaptured his mojo and has been unhittable in small doses this year. It's not a big leap to say he could do the job in the majors, but he's only just returned to Lynchburg.

20. Todd Cunningham, CF. On schedule to go onto the 40-man roster next year, if not sooner. A pure singles hitter, has fewer XBH than Bethancourt. But he is a switch-hitter and he has stolen 16 bases and only struck out 47 times.

21. Connor Lien, CF. The youngest player (19) on Danville's roster, he's also the team's leadoff man who has been on a hot streak (10-27 since July 5). Has all the tools except power, and is emerging as a leader as well. Should rise on this list.

22. Aaron Northcraft, RHP. Having a bad year (3-8, 4.30) while his peers are having a good year. Healthy, but looking as if he'll need a second year in Double-A. Strikeouts down, walks and home runs allowed up.

23. Wilson Rivera, RHP. Converted infielder has come into his own in 2013 (5-0, 1.99). In his pro career, Wilson is now 9-0, 2.13 in 80 games with 170 strikeouts in 127 innings. Needs to be pushed through the system from this point forward.

24. Josh Elander, LF. Concerns about his position are fading fast. He hasn't picked up in Lynchburg where he left off in Rome, however; he seemed likely to earn 100 RBis in Rome. Overall, has 37 extra base hits in 84 games, 63 RBIs and is still batting a combined .312.

25. Mark Lamm, RHP. Has continued to be steady after his surprising promotion to Gwinnett. You'll see him in the majors before you see Gearrin again. Was a starter the whole time at Vandy, and has gone through some growing pains as a closer.

26. Robby Hefflinger, LF. Placed himself solidly on the prospects lists with his double-whammy in the all-star game (MVP and HR Derby winner). Was miles ahead of everyone in the SAL, and had power with average (.286). Power followed him to AA (24 total); he just needs to string some small hits together to get on Big Boy radar.

27. Victor Reyes, OF. The mystery man, who is making his stateside debut in style: .351-0-12 in 16 games. The 6-3, 170 Venezuelan is a lefty hitter who is also 2-2 in stolen bases. He doesn't turn 19 until October, so don't expect him to be rushed along.

28. Ian Thomas, LHP. Over on his new site, Gondeee is considering Thomas a prospect now, as his conversion to starter has been as successful as his earlier relief work. A healthy left-hander with live stuff. Of course he is a prospect, and his latest start was his best.

29. Ryan Buchter, LHP. Basing this much more on his 2012 with Miss. (3-1, 4 saves, 1.31) than his initial full season in AAA -- but he has still struck out 65 in 40 innings.

30. Jesus Jones, RHP. I refused to do this list without my new personal saver. In his second DSL season at age 18, the 6-2, 165 Domincan right-hander has pitched in eight games, worked 12 innings with no earned runs, striking out 11 and walking five. He has a streak of 10 straight shutout innings working. Opponents are managing only a .146 average against him.

Just missed: Joe Leonard, 3B. Can play third (or first) in the majors right now. Bat will be his Waterloo.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

Chico (07-15-2013), Gary82 (07-15-2013), jpx7 (07-15-2013), The Chosen One (07-15-2013), thethe (07-15-2013), weso1 (07-15-2013)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    This is great, thanks!

30. Jesus Jones, RHP

I know what his walkup music is going to be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Looking forward to seeing the rest of the list. There are two in 16-30 list I would have put in the Top 15: Caratini and Victor Reyes. I know guys in the short-season leagues are long ways from the majors. But those two are doing very well and show an advanced hitting approach. Plus they each have pretty good pedigrees: Caratini as a 2nd round pick and Reyes as our biggest bonus international signing in 2011. Reyes also turned in a strong season in the DSL last year at age 17. Those two along with Peraza make up the new wave of hitting prospects. A case could be made for Camargo too. I'm surprised he isn't somewhere on the 16-30 list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Also interested to see Simmons, Lamm, Rivera and Buchter make the list. We have a number of interesting bullpen arms in the minors. I would have rated Jaime, Harper, Hoyt and Cornely above those four. Carlos Perez I agree on. I also agree on Thomas and would have had him a bit higher.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Looking forward to seeing the rest of the list. There are two in 16-30 list I would have put in the Top 15: Caratini and Victor Reyes. I know guys in the short-season leagues are long ways from the majors. But those two are doing very well and show an advanced hitting approach. Plus they each have pretty good pedigrees: Caratini as a 2nd round pick and Reyes as our biggest bonus international signing in 2011. Reyes also turned in a strong season in the DSL last year at age 17. Those two along with Peraza make up the new wave of hitting prospects. A case could be made for Camargo too. I'm surprised he isn't somewhere on the 16-30 list.
    There is definitely room for debate with a list like this which is why it was so great for Rico to prepare one. I think one aspect to consider is proximity to the majors. The further you are the more that can go wrong. Those two you mentioned (Caratini and Reyes) are solid young players but have a long ways to go. Once the whole list is presented it will be fun to see who puts who where between the greater poster base on this board and the national publications.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    There is definitely room for debate with a list like this which is why it was so great for Rico to prepare one. I think one aspect to consider is proximity to the majors.
    Yeah. These lists generate great debate, which I find a lot of fun. With respect to your second point, I think Salazar is a little high at 15. If I was to put an 18 year old pitcher on the list, it would be his GCL teammate Nelson Leon, who has been pitching well this year and had a good season in the DSL last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Yeah. These lists generate great debate, which I find a lot of fun. With respect to your second point, I think Salazar is a little high at 15. If I was to put an 18 year old pitcher on the list, it would be his GCL teammate Nelson Leon, who has been pitching well this year and had a good season in the DSL last year.
    Has Leon's velocity improved? From what I remember he was in the mid 80's when he was signed in 2011. Salazar I think was clocked in the low 90's I believe. Velocity isn't everything but I think there was more projection needed for Leon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Has Leon's velocity improved? From what I remember he was in the mid 80's when he was signed in 2011. Salazar I think was clocked in the low 90's I believe. Velocity isn't everything but I think there was more projection needed for Leon.
    I don't have any new velocity update on Leon. But for most kids, there is an increase from age 16 to 18. Hopefully, someone who has seen him this year can provide some information. The fact he is second in innings pitched on the GCL team suggests someone within the Braves hierarchy thinks it is worth making the investment in PT in him. He is the youngest player on the GCL team. That also says something.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 07-15-2013 at 12:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    I think Elander could be higher. He raked in A ball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    This is great, thanks!

30. Jesus Jones, RHP

I know what his walkup music is going to be.
    The sound of hammer and nail? Maybe a skill saw?
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    510 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    The sound of hammer and nail? Maybe a skill saw?

SMH

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I hope he makes it, if for no other reason than so I can call him Big Baby Jesus.

/RIP Dirt McGirt

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drewdat View Post

SMH
    Holy cow. Did you think I missed that reference?
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    510 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Holy cow. Did you think I missed that reference?
    Yep. Whoops.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Love the inclusion of Reyes everyone seems to be overlooking him but he has been hitting very well! Another guy that's been overlooked is Johan Camargo I love this kids bat and he's very versatile defensively, he can play SS, 2B and 3B snd play them all very well. He started out slow but is hitting pretty well in Danville(skipped the GCL). Definitely one to keep an eye on.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    I too am anxious to see 1-15. Interested to see where y'all rank Salcedo, Peraza, Hursh, and Cabrera mostly. The reports on Cabrera are glowing. Glad to see Caratini off to a good start; I know a lot was mentioned about taking him a little too early when we did, but he's off to a great beginning to his career. The guy I can see really jumping up the list by the off-season is Hefflinger, but he's not off to a great start in AA.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    There is definitely room for debate with a list like this which is why it was so great for Rico to prepare one. I think one aspect to consider is proximity to the majors. The further you are the more that can go wrong. Those two you mentioned (Caratini and Reyes) are solid young players but have a long ways to go. Once the whole list is presented it will be fun to see who puts who where between the greater poster base on this board and the national publications.
    Some of these lists simply ignore a player's actual level and rate him on raw potential. I weigh proximity to the majors as part of my complicated formula that requires two calulators and a PhD on 5-hour Energy to compute. Victor will rises rapidly in both these lists and in actuality.

I really wanted to put Ryne Harper somewhere, but could not argue him against any other pitcher on the list.