Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Part-time Worker Society

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMAJAH25 View Post
    I dont understand why its ok for Corporations to earn the same, if not more...but workers are the ones who must sacrifice? Corps are probably extremely excited that they can increase their greed and have someone to blame for screwing the bones of the company.
    Maybe the best way to view things is to see all of us as being greedy and screw-ups and work upon the presumption that individuals - those operating corporations and those running government and those that are looking for jobs, receiving wages or government assistance are all sinners and be a bit suspicious of all - especially suspicious of ourselves?

Seems like libertarians fail to appreciate sufficiently the fallenness of the individual.

Seems like liberals fail to appreciate sufficiently the fallenness of those pulling the levers of government.

And it seems like conservatives fail to appreciate sufficiently the fallenness of those running businesses.

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    Yes, it is not fully implemented but can't the legislation generate problems before full implementation? Maybe it has long-term benefits, but at this rate, will the legislation actually ever get there? Or might the better option be to go in the more radical direction that I believe you favor? Or scrapping as much of the current legislation as feasible and start over?
    The bulk of the central instruments of the PPACA (the exchanges, the mandate, medicare expansion) have not come into effect yet. It seems incredibly premature to make any judgements about the efficacy of the legislation at this point.

True, I would much rather have a single payer system, but I don't see a PPACA failure as making that more likely. I'm willing to at least give this setup a chance. In theory, it could work.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    good

maybe we will become a nation that works to live

instead of the pathetic society of living to work

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    Which part of the ACA made that happen?
    The new legislation forced my company to offer a "basic" package for employees who work for home or who didn't want to pay for the regular insurance. This was subsidized via us. Not to mention - we did significantly reduce contractor and part time hours to comply with the bar.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Meta, why exactly is the administration talking about delaying the employer mandate? Is it not because of the very sort of thing that the original article link suggested? As companies gear towards being able to comply with ACA regulations they are moving toward a more PT labor force model?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    The new legislation forced my company to offer a "basic" package for employees who work for home or who didn't want to pay for the regular insurance. This was subsidized via us. Not to mention - we did significantly reduce contractor and part time hours to comply with the bar.
    How big is your company?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    How big is your company?
    About 20,000 employees globally. Private company

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    Meta, why exactly is the administration talking about delaying the employer mandate? Is it not because of the very sort of thing that the original article link suggested? As companies gear towards being able to comply with ACA regulations they are moving toward a more PT labor force model?
    I dunno.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    So . . . scrap the ACA and replace it with what, exactly?

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts

The drop off is even worse from 2000-2008. How come you guys conveniently ignore that? Wait...who was the president from 2000-2008 anyway? I think we should vote in one of his buddies! Yeah he'll save us and bring higher paying manufacturing jobs back to America alright!

When you guys get it through your thick skulls that neither party gives two craps about you, maybe we'll actually vote in someone worth a damn for once. Instead you waste your time picking and choosing statistics while turning a blind eye to the fact that your beloved party that you think cares so much about you had completely screwed us over the same way the idiot we currently have in office is doing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    ACA is going to be debilitating to large companies with low skilled labor forces. The reason ACA mandates are being pushed back is because no one is ready. They aren't ready for the fines (which some are prepared to pay vs the health care costs), the regs, or any of it. They just know they have to be under 50 EEs or 30 hours to designate part time labor. Most of your young workers have been cut back to part time along with much of the hospitality industry.

If you think inflation has been bad in the past 5 years or so, don't cry when you see what this bill does to farm expenses and the price of your food. It is gonna hit everyone in their wallet everytime you go buy something in my opinion.

The price of insurance goes up as you get older and have health problems. I'm sorry, but thats just underwriting. They aren't in business to lose money.

Also, I saw some asanine post earlier about limiting what corporations can make from a profit standpoint... Thats pure UnAmerican Freedom hating at its finest. No one, government, neighbor, or mayor should be able to put a cap on the amount of money my company can generate. That is crazy talk, and you need crazy pills.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    So . . . scrap the ACA and replace it with what, exactly?
    Nothing?