Thread: Nothing about the UCSB tragedy?

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts

Nothing about the UCSB tragedy?

Sort of surprised.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    i really can't bring myself to be surprised by gun deaths anymore

this country is weird when it comes to it

i mean, if sandy hook killings can't get anything done to change our problem with ease of access to weapons and health issues that sometimes goes along with this tragedy

there is no hope for change in this country and it should just be accepted that we are going to let people getting killed for no real good reason

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Sad enough. Guy wasn't catching the breaks so he wanted to get famous and now the media gets to play the blame game for the next three weeks. There was a writer for the Washington Post blaming Seth Rogan and Judd Apatow. I found that interesting since we started blaming Ice cube just a few years ago. I keep seeing a lack of coping ability (lack of social skills ? ) popping up in these cases.

Hate it. Seems very senseless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    there is no hope for change in this country and it should just be accepted that we are going to let people getting killed for no real good reason
    And in that spirit:

According to Bolden, by 2045 NASA plans to begin sending residents to inhabit pressurized lunar housing pods on the Mare Tranquillitatis and the Ptolemaeus crater. By 2047, Bolden said, the colony’s paranoid and unhinged members should begin stewing over their perceived persecution, authoring barely comprehensible manifestos, and amassing massive stockpiles of ammunition.

NASA officials also laid out long-term plans to grow their initial settlement by constructing universities, office buildings, places of worship, and shopping centers across the lunar surface, any one of which, they noted, could serve as both the blood-spattered, body-strewn location of the moon’s first grisly shooting rampage as well as the eventual memorial site for those lost.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

i mean, if sandy hook killings can't get anything done to change our problem with ease of access to weapons and health issues that sometimes goes along with this tragedy

I don't know how you manage to get out of bed in the morning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I don't know how you manage to get out of bed in the morning.
    usually on the left side of the bed (and that isn't a political pun or anything)

the right side of the bed is close to the wall

if i don't want to wake up the lady friend, i sometimes step over the end of the bed though to get out of bed to start breakfast etc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    One of many useful pieces of coverage:

In her book Between Men, Eve Sedgwick dissects this kind of thinking: Men typically route their feelings toward and competition with one another through women, she says. Women become tools through which men show their power and worth to other men. Success with women is also an important part of men’s self-image—that’s a big part of what it means to “be a man.” This seems to be the kind of thinking at work when Rodger says he feels like women are "treat[ing] me like scum" when they have boyfriends who aren't him. To him, women aren't people; they're markers of who is and who is not a man. If a woman chooses someone else, the thinking goes, that means Rodger and others like him are not men.

[...]

Misogyny shaped Rodger's view of women. But it also shaped his self-loathing view of himself and his masculinity, or lack thereof. The stigma against male virgins is something that men like Rodger—and men like me—internalize, and is, in itself, a form of misogyny. As Julia Serano writes in her book, Whipping Girl, that misogyny is directed not only against women, but against femininity—against anyone who fails to be that ideal, powerful, alpha superman. As long as masculinity is based in hatred of and fear of femininity, it will be expressed in violence—against men, against gay people, and against the marginalized. And most of all, it will continue to motivate violence against women.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (05-27-2014)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts

He stabbed 3 people too. What should be done about the ease of access to knives pandemic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ESP47 View Post
    He stabbed 3 people too. What should be done about the ease of access to knives pandemic?
    Cali is considered the tightest state when it comes to gun access as well.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    My thinking is if Joe the Plummer was a fan of Chocolate Milk I'd reconsider -Chocolate Milk.
    this from Twitter

John Fugelsang ‏@JohnFugelsang 15m
    Joe the Plumber reminds you that your kids' lives aren't as important as govt not taking his guns, which govt has never ever tried to do.
    Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

John Fugelsang ‏@JohnFugelsang 17m
    Joe the Plumber. Because sometimes the NRA gets the spokesmen they deserve.
    Last edited by 57Brave; 05-27-2014 at 03:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    ah, yes. the knife retort

brilliant

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Cali is considered the tightest state when it comes to gun access as well.
    So maybe we table the access issue—since arguing it seems to drive sides further from consensus—and discuss the broader, systemic cultural issues that not just permit the actions but foster the mindsets of people like Elliot Rodger?

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (05-29-2014), Hawk (05-27-2014), Tapate50 (05-28-2014)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    ah, yes. the knife retort

brilliant
    It's not a retort, it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    So maybe we table the access issue—since arguing it seems to drive sides further from consensus—and discuss the broader, systemic cultural issues that not just permit the actions but foster the mindsets of people like Elliot Rodger?
    Have you read the manifesto? I'm in the middle of it right now..

http://www.scribd.com/doc/225960813/...orld-manifesto

I don't know what issues can really be discussed. This is the stuff people have been battling since the beginning of time. Everyone wants to be rich, be liked and to be able to bang out good looking women. It doesn't matter what culture or what part of the world you come from. Chances are these are 3 very important things to you, especially at that age. He just put himself into this spiraling groundhogs day type of life where everyday was just filled with disappointments. He would go for a walk and hope and pray the entire time that some girl would come up to him and talk to him. He did this almost every day for a few years. Getting denied always sucks but he was basically getting denied every single day in his head. He went to multiple high schools and multiple colleges and every one of them turned out the same. He just sat around waiting for something to happen instead of going out and making it happen himself. You'll spend a lifetime alone if you just sit around waiting for that movie scene to happen where you randomly bump into your soul mate on the beach and live happily ever ever.

Eventually the same frustrations a lot of us feel ended up boiling over for him. The main difference was that he was a sociopath who vented his anger specifically at other people who lived the life that he wanted to live.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    I don't know what issues can really be discussed. This is the stuff people have been battling since the beginning of time.
    This reminds me of this:

‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

ISLA VISTA, CA—In the days following a violent rampage in southern California in which a lone attacker killed seven individuals, including himself, and seriously injured over a dozen others, citizens living in the only country where this kind of mass killing routinely occurs reportedly concluded Tuesday that there was no way to prevent the massacre from taking place. “This was a terrible tragedy, but sometimes these things just happen and there’s nothing anyone can do to stop them,” said North Carolina resident Samuel Wipper, echoing sentiments expressed by tens of millions of individuals who reside in a nation where over half of the world’s deadliest mass shootings have occurred in the past 50 years and whose citizens are 20 times more likely to die of gun violence than those of other developed nations. “It’s a shame, but what can we do? There really wasn’t anything that was going to keep this guy from snapping and killing a lot of people if that’s what he really wanted.” At press time, residents of the only economically advanced nation in the world where roughly two mass shootings have occurred every month for the past five years were referring to themselves and their situation as “helpless.”

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

yeezus (05-28-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I think that's pretty much the only way to curb this. Obviously something more is happening. Unless it's the last resort of desperate people just to be "somebody". But everybody has demons, what's changed in the past 10 years to make this the thing to do?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I'm actually to the left of you on this one, but it might just be because you've given up. I think guns can and should be further regulated. The problem is that liberals take it way too far wanting to ban some guns that don't need to be banned rather than just try to keep all guns out of the hands of the mentally ill or the sociopath. But certainly think mental illness is something this country fails at and something the federal government needs to spend more money on. I'd much rather federal funds go to help truly helpless people in the US and the world than go to folks who can take care of themselves.

Now with that in mind I'm not sure I buy into this misogynist angle being played by the feminists. Sounds like something they want to be true so they can trumpet their cause.
    thank you weso1!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-28-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    It's not a retort, it happened.
    i am not saying some people didn't die from a knife in this situation

what i am "laughing" at is trying to compare a knife to a gun etc

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    i am not saying some people didn't die from a knife in this situation

what i am "laughing" at is trying to compare a knife to a gun etc
    Guess I just get irritated when people use tragedies like this to voice their own delusional agendas.

Like the father of one of the victims has blamed politicians and the NRA. Blame them all you want but the fact is that this was the perfect storm for a tragedy. The kid was a sociopath, seemed like he had Asperger's syndrome, got zero female attention and lost all his friends. He was very intelligent and if he couldn't get access to a gun, he probably would have just built a bomb. In his manifesto he talked about driving an SUV through this huge block party and just running everyone over that he could. The weapon didn't matter here.

There are so many layers to this story but the only thing people like you can think about are guns because you already have an anti gun agenda. 3 were killed by knives, 4 were killed by guns. Yet only guns are bad because you enjoy using knives to prepare your gluten free tofu and kale summer salads.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ESP47 For This Useful Post:

sturg33 (05-28-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Guess I just get irritated when people use tragedies like this to voice their own delusional agendas.

Like the father of one of the victims has blamed politicians and the NRA. Blame them all you want but the fact is that this was the perfect storm for a tragedy..
    just so you know

i stopped reading here

at least for the night

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts

Like the father of one of the victims has blamed politicians and the NRA. Blame them all you want but the fact is that this was the perfect storm for a tragedy. The kid was a sociopath, seemed like he had Asperger's syndrome, got zero female attention and lost all his friends. He was very intelligent and if he couldn't get access to a gun, he probably would have just built a bomb. In his manifesto he talked about driving an SUV through this huge block party and just running everyone over that he could. The weapon didn't matter here.

There are so many layers to this story but the only thing people like you can think about are guns because you already have an anti gun agenda. 3 were killed by knives, 4 were killed by guns. Yet only guns are bad because you enjoy using knives to prepare your gluten free tofu and kale summer salads.
    The problem in the US isn't guns because other countries have gun access but not the shootings like us. We need to figure out where the issue is occurring psychologically. Personally my bet is that the fear based news/advertisements play a healthy role in it.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

26. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (05-28-2014)