Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens...

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens...

‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

ISLA VISTA, CA—In the days following a violent rampage in southern California in which a lone attacker killed seven individuals, including himself, and seriously injured over a dozen others, citizens living in the only country where this kind of mass killing routinely occurs reportedly concluded Tuesday that there was no way to prevent the massacre from taking place. “This was a terrible tragedy, but sometimes these things just happen and there’s nothing anyone can do to stop them,” said North Carolina resident Samuel Wipper, echoing sentiments expressed by tens of millions of individuals who reside in a nation where over half of the world’s deadliest mass shootings have occurred in the past 50 years and whose citizens are 20 times more likely to die of gun violence than those of other developed nations. “It’s a shame, but what can we do? There really wasn’t anything that was going to keep this guy from snapping and killing a lot of people if that’s what he really wanted.” At press time, residents of the only economically advanced nation in the world where roughly two mass shootings have occurred every month for the past five years were referring to themselves and their situation as “helpless.”

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

57Brave (05-28-2014), jpx7 (05-28-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    "Go shopping"

wow, speaks volumes -- huh?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    We definitely can do something, but just disagree on the methods. I agree with JPX's approach on it.
    thank you weso1!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

mossy (05-29-2014)

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    There are numerous things that can be done. Unfortunately, most people try to make situations like this benefit them politically and only advocate one of those things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Mindsets take generations to change. Yes, JP makes sense -- if we had generations to solve this problem.
    My mind says we don't have time to institute the policies and trainings and committees. You forget our system of enacting policy is like turning an ocean liner around in the backyard pool

tell me this -- hasn't every one of these shooters suffered from different issues (my vocabulary sucks) that manifested themselves in these ......... shootings?
    So which issue do we concentrate on first?

I agree with everyone's suggestions but, they are complicated long term societal -- we need something that will impact the problem , yesterday -a year and a half ago.

God forbid but it is going to happen. One of our fellow Braves fans here will be effected by this problem sooner than later. Then we will see a change in the attitudes of the people here. I remember a poster that became unemployed and had to resort to Unemployment Compensation. Funny thing (not ha-ha funny) weas it changed his mind about those that take help when there is help available. Something about a mile in another s moccasins

Name me one family of a victim that supports long term solutions over immediate steps that are as plain as the nose on your face. Name one
    Thought so

Where does everyone stand on ACA and the mental health stipulations included there. Which are far more improved than the ones in place 5 years ago. Or in fact non existant 5 years ago. I know, " ACA is a lousy policy and should be scrapped for reasons ABC&D..." But those are the only attempts a comprehensive MH Care enacted in years and years. 95% of the posters here that squeel Mental Health or Family solutions here are against any and all initiatives we have tried to make in the past 25 years.
    That beng the case, calls from the Fist Shakers about Family and Mental Health ring hollow
    Last edited by 57Brave; 05-28-2014 at 06:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    There are numerous things that can be done. Unfortunately, most people try to make situations like this benefit them politically and only advocate one of those things.
    Of course it is political. That is how civilizations solve societal problems
    sheeesh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Of course it is political. That is how civilizations solve societal problems
    sheeesh
    Certainly seems to work well for our country. What I mean is people who try to single out one specific thing on something like this usually are speaking to their own self interests. From making it more difficult to obtain multiple rounds of ammo to investing in education and communities to strong mental health services to examining our culture as a whole (entertainment, family values, etc.), there are things that can be done. The problem will never be completely fixed, but there are things we can try at the very least.

Sheesh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    What self interests?

My self interest is I don't want to see see people randomly shot. Whether the problem is Chicago gangs,TV,rap Music,video games or some frustrated guy that is still a virgin.
    Or some kids at school that were bullied or... or ... or... or ...

there is a simple starting point. Should our elected officials have the stones to pull the proverbial trigger

I personally have nothing to politically gain from that. So please spare me the Fox/ NRA talking point

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    What self interests?

My self interest is I don't want to see see people randomly shot. Whether the problem is Chicago gangs,TV,rap Music,video games or some frustrated guy that is still a virgin.
    Or some kids at school that were bullied or... or ... or... or ...

there is a simple starting point. Should our elected officials have the stones to pull the proverbial trigger

I personally have nothing to politically gain from that. So please spare me the Fox/ NRA talking point
    I'm sorry I must have missed the part where I called you out/joined the NRA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    never said you did. but, their language has so permeated the issue.

And most solutions in circulation are right out of NRA PR. First and foremost "mental health entertainment" second "we can never solve this"
    You can look it up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Of course. I've watched a ton of violent TV. Never occurred to me to go take out a church. As more and more of these happen, I become more and more in favor of different weapons bans. And that'd be a first step. But you'll still have people doing terrible things to other people. And at that point, there are a lot of other factors to consider that quite frankly, I don't think anyone in power wants to honestly talk about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    "Cain slew Abel"
    But, Cain didn't take down a dozen innocents in the process

Some in power do -- not enough though

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    ‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

ISLA VISTA, CA—In the days following a violent rampage in southern California in which a lone attacker killed seven individuals, including himself, and seriously injured over a dozen others, citizens living in the only country where this kind of mass killing routinely occurs reportedly concluded Tuesday that there was no way to prevent the massacre from taking place. “This was a terrible tragedy, but sometimes these things just happen and there’s nothing anyone can do to stop them,” said North Carolina resident Samuel Wipper, echoing sentiments expressed by tens of millions of individuals who reside in a nation where over half of the world’s deadliest mass shootings have occurred in the past 50 years and whose citizens are 20 times more likely to die of gun violence than those of other developed nations. “It’s a shame, but what can we do? There really wasn’t anything that was going to keep this guy from snapping and killing a lot of people if that’s what he really wanted.” At press time, residents of the only economically advanced nation in the world where roughly two mass shootings have occurred every month for the past five years were referring to themselves and their situation as “helpless.”

The Onion
    Last edited by BedellBrave; 05-29-2014 at 05:49 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

weso1 (05-30-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    yeah

i know

i posted it

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Others might not have known.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    Others might not have known.
    not really sure how that would change the point of the article

other than trying to discredit the point is made by going "look, it's a "fake" news story"

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Why do people try to compare the US to other developed countries? What other developed countries are even remotely similar to the US? We have by far the largest population of any developed country and it's a melting pot of different cultures and races. The largest ethnic group in the US consists of merely 73 percent of the total population, which is significantly smaller than any other developed nation in the world.
    Last edited by Carp; 05-30-2014 at 02:48 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

weso1 (05-30-2014)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Why do people try to compare the US to other developed countries? What other "developed countries" are even remotely similar to the US? We have by far the largest population of any developed country and it's a melting pot of different cultures and races. The largest ethnic group in the US consists of merely 73 percent of the total population, which is significantly smaller than any other developed nation in the world.
    Well to some people in this country "melting pot" is an offensive term and everyone should assimilate to doing things the 'Murica Way or "go back to where you came from". What ever that means.
    Forever Fredi

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Jpx7 posted this on the first page of the thread about the UCSB incident (where this should have gone, anyways).

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    not really sure how that would change the point of the article

other than trying to discredit the point is made by going "look, it's a "fake" news story"

It doesn't change the point. But, while appreciating satire and hyperbole to an extent, I think it can be used and presented inappropriately. And as you full well know I have never liked your practice of never presenting links.