Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CONTEST: Guess who the Braves draft.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

CONTEST: Guess who the Braves draft.

Thanks to the signing of Ervin Santana, the Braves do not have a draft pick until No. 32 in the supplemental first round.

There are enough draftniks around here to make this a viable contest, so here goes -- A 1993 Braves media guide goes to whoever correctly guess who the Braves draft with their belated first pick on June 5th.

In the unlikely event of more than one person selecting the correct player, the tiebreaker is guessing when Kennesaw catcher Max Pentecost is selected.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (05-30-2014)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I was just doing my research today. So I'll be in. I'm guessing pitcher. Probably high school pitcher. Don't know which one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I'm guessing Kodi Medeiros. And Pentecost is chosen by the White Sox with the #3 pick.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    I'll go with Michael Gettys, Pentecost to the Mets at #10.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    I say Foster Griffin, and Pentecost goes #13.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 05-30-2014 at 03:42 PM.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Mac Marshall, Michael Gettys or Dylan Cease. My money's on Mac Marshall.

And Pentecost? 13 to the Padres.
    Last edited by Jay212033; 05-30-2014 at 12:16 AM.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Max Pentecost goes 15th

with the 32nd pick the braves select Michael Chavis
    Last edited by depley; 06-05-2014 at 02:52 PM.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Gettys looks like Francoeur 2.0

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    In two of the last three drafts, the Braves have taken someone that no one had connected them to prior to the draft. In 2013, it was Jason Hursh. In 2011, it was Sean Gilmartin. In 2012, they took Lucas Sims, who they were connected to I believe.

This year, they seem to be connected to according to Baseball America high school lefties Kodi Medeiros, Mac Marshall, Foster Griffin, and Cody Reed. When you look at the system, left handed pitching prospects at the lower levels are lacking right now. My guess is, they will go with a left handed high school pitcher, so it will probably be one of the ones they are connected with. I wouldn't be surprised if they took a college left though. Two names I think to keep in mind: Matt Imhoff from Cal Poly and Jacob Lindgren from Mississippi State.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    In two of the last three drafts, the Braves have taken someone that no one had connected them to prior to the draft. In 2013, it was Jason Hursh. In 2011, it was Sean Gilmartin. In 2012, they took Lucas Sims, who they were connected to I believe.

This year, they seem to be connected to according to Baseball America high school lefties Kodi Medeiros, Mac Marshall, Foster Griffin, and Cody Reed. When you look at the system, left handed pitching prospects at the lower levels are lacking right now. My guess is, they will go with a left handed high school pitcher, so it will probably be one of the ones they are connected with. I wouldn't be surprised if they took a college left though. Two names I think to keep in mind: Matt Imhoff from Cal Poly and Jacob Lindgren from Mississippi State.
    Other than Sims, not a lot of pitching prospects at all. I still have hopes that Salazar was simply pushed too fast. Grosser has some upside as well. But we need arms and a lot of them.

Hence, I'm guessing they'll take a pitcher. Which one I don't know. I'm just hoping plus fastball or room to grow into a plus fastball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts

Just given their recent history of drafting college guys high and getting guys who are willing to sign below slot, I'm going to project they take Matt Imhof, LHP, Cal Poly SLO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Something else to consider. Tony Demacio has had 13 first round draft picks during his years as a scouting director. Of those 13 picks, 10 have been college players. There has definitely been a strong tendency for taking college guys since he has been here, particularly in the first 2-3 rounds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    John Mayo's latest mock has the Braves taking UNLV pitcher Eric Fedde, who is a hard thrower who just underwent TJ surgery.

BA has them taking Ti'quan Forbes from Columbia, MS, but mentions that they are high on RHP Spencer Adams and high school lefties. They also like Chavis, obviously.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Something else to consider. Tony Demacio has had 13 first round draft picks during his years as a scouting director. Of those 13 picks, 10 have been college players. There has definitely been a strong tendency for taking college guys since he has been here, particularly in the first 2-3 rounds.
    I thought of that. That might point to FSU RHP Luke Weaver or, as you point out, Matt Imhof.

Geez, I hope we don't take a damaged arm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,741 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    Gettys looks like Francoeur 2.0
    I would take that. Francoeur was a decent player his first few years. Could always be worse like Devall and Cody Johnsonm
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    My Guess: Ti'quan Forbes - Forbes is probably the only high school position player with enough upside for the Braves to take instead of a Pitcher unless Chavis slides.

Something tells me this is the year we take another high schooler with upside - the last few years of taking college guys to help re-stock the upper levels of the system has worked great, and we're now in a position to go after someone with louder tools than skills.

If it's a college Pitcher, I'm guessing Luke Weaver - a Huddy clone.

If it's a LHP, I'm guessing Mac Marshall - reports sure sound like Minor's around the time we "reached" for him.

My Sleeper: Jacob Bukauskas - if they want premium velocity and are willing to buy him out of Chapel Thrill, he could provide serious ROI.

Tiebreaker: Pentecost goes #14 to the Giants or #15 to the Angels.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts
    Luke weaver from FSU??? Giant MEH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    I watched MLB Network's show last night on the top 50 prospects in the draft. John Hart was really talking up Kodi Medeiros. He says he will pitch in the majors at the very least as a reliever. Good fastball and knows how to pitch. Arm action is almost like a left handed side arm pitcher.

Isn't John Hart a special assistant to Frank Wren? If he is, with the way he talked him up, it would not surprise me to see him as the Braves top target.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    Kind of funny. Back in the day, I used to joke that the answer to this question was "Any random Georgia high school pitcher." Interesting how organizations evolve.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-03-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I'm sticking with Medeiros as my pick.

I will note, however, that if a good center field prospect is available for our first pick that this is an area of need. I know you want to pick the best prospect possible. But it would be nice if a center fielder fell to us. Someone like Derek Hill or Monte Harrison. Or maybe Marcus Wilson in the second round. Several people have mentioned Gettys. Not sure if he is a first or second round talent. But he is a possibility as well.