Thread: Kyle Kubitza

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts

Kyle Kubitza

Let's start by looking at four key numbers as he has moved up: walk rate, strikeout rate, ISO and BABIP.

2012 Low A (age 21): 13.7%, 23.9%, .154, .310

2013 High A (age 22): 15.2%, 25.0%, .154, .344

2014 AA (age 23): 14.0%, 24.7%, .153, .370

A few things stand out. One is the stability of his walk rate, strikeout rate and ISO numbers as he has moved up. The walk rate is very good, but I'd like to see a little lower strikeout rate. However, if I had to choose between a player like Kubitza or a player with a 5% walk rate and 15% strikeout rate, I'd rather have the former.

His BABIP has always been high, but looks to be on the high side of what is sustainable this year.

Kubitza has played a little old at each level, while sustaining a consistent level of performance while moving up one level a year. AA is usually the level where the wheat gets separated from the chaff as far as prospects go. His success at that level has really increased his chances of having a big league career. If he continues progressing one level a year, he would reach the majors in 2016 as a 25 year old. The key question is can he maintain the kind of numbers he's put up the past three years as he moves up to AAA and hopefully the majors. There are no guarantees but I think he is becoming an intriguing prospect.

Defensively, he is supposed to be fairly athletic with a good arm, but he makes a fair number of errors at third. He has some speed with 9 stolen bases in 10 attempts this year. In past years, he's had a lower success rate stealing bases. Last year was especially bad with 8 steals and 16 caught stealings. He has played a small number of games in the outfield. With his arm and mobility, he should be able to handle both corner outfield spots. I presume he could play first as well if needed.

He has a slightly higher OPS against lefties than righties this season, which is consistent with his tendency in his minor league career to post reverse splits.

So what does my crystal ball say about Kubitza? The most likely scenario is that his performance numbers decline a bit as he moves up to AAA and the majors. This would leave him as a useful bench player who can play all the corner infield and outfield spots and can be used against both righties and lefties. But I think there is about a 25% chance that he sustains the level of performance as he moves up. And that's an .800 OPS player who hits lefties just as well as righties. In today's game, that's good enough to start in the majors, whether it be at third or one of the corner outfield spots. Even for a first baseman that would not be bad. To cite a comp, Adam LaRoche has a career OPS of .813.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-31-2014 at 09:13 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-31-2014), JohnAdcox (06-01-2014), jpx7 (05-31-2014)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Good analysis. His on-base skills are good. His defense is supposedly good, although his error numbers are high. For me, his power numbers aren't good enough given his K-rate (which looks to be down a bit this season). I didn't like the decision to extend Chris Johnson, but part of the reason probably has something to do with what the organization thinks about Salcedo and Kubitza.

He has played some OF. I'm kind of surprised that he has never played any 1B as a pro (I could have sworn he did). I've always projected Kubitza as a 250 AB to 350 AB guy who plays several positions. We'll just have to see. No question he's had a great month.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    In the recent series against Chattanooga, he seemed slow afoot and kind of clumsy around third base. Not much range, except on balls over his head. Like his bat better, but he strikes me as a first baseman playing out of position. Watching Joe Leonard when he plays third, Kubitza ought to be a little motivated.

Playing the Waiting Game BremanFan88's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    In the recent series against Chattanooga, he seemed slow afoot and kind of clumsy around third base. Not much range, except on balls over his head. Like his bat better, but he strikes me as a first baseman playing out of position. Watching Joe Leonard when he plays third, Kubitza ought to be a little motivated.
    Maybe Leonard can watch Kubitza's bat and be a little motivated at the plate.
    All you need is Hart and Cox.