Thread: Income Inequality and political polarization?

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts

Income Inequality and political polarization?

http://www.princeton.edu/~nmccarty/ineqpold.pdf

Is it just correlation or is it causation?

Personally I think it's causation because the more divided that we are made the common sense decision (like CEOs making way too damn much money, college is way too damned expensive, Citizen's United being a giant sham, etc.) becomes harder.

US is in a bad situation. We have worse income inequality than the UK who literally has an aristocracy. Let that sink in for a little bit.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (05-31-2014), jpx7 (05-31-2014)

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Oligarchies rules this land. Get use to it.

Job stagnation. But if you want more pay, they will outsource or give it to a foreigner with lower skills just to make a quick buck.

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    910 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    [url]like CEOs making way too damn much money
    I'm not really sure why this bothers anyone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    The thing is that the American consumer has the power. Even in our dying times, the middle class has the power to dictate the market. Company ships jobs overseas don't buy them. Companies like Walmart that rape American workers, don't buy from them. There needs to be a consumer revolution.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    Oligarchies rules this land. Get use to it.

Job stagnation. But if you want more pay, they will outsource or give it to a foreigner with lower skills just to make a quick buck.

A) every form of government has big divisions between the haves and have nots
    B) capitalism will always have a bigger inequality spread than others, just by definition
    C) technology is the main reason for the big income inequality in America.
    D) if any of us were ceo's we'd be doing the same things with jobs that CEOs do now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    I'm not sure why it doesn't bother everyone? Wealth is not like love, there isn't some kind of infinite well.

Throw another analogy. If you are starving on an island with 4 people and someone takes a third of the pie would you not make a stink about it?

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post

Because People are ****ing jealous. Notice how they call out CEO's for making so much but do they mention that Will Smith gets 20 million per a movie or how much athletes make? Nope. But they'll call out CEO's

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    A) every form of government has big divisions between the haves and have nots
    B) capitalism will always have a bigger inequality spread than others, just by definition
    C) technology is the main reason for the big income inequality in America.
    D) if any of us were ceo's we'd be doing the same things with jobs that CEOs do now.
    So the Germans, Japanese, Canadians, South Koreans, Norwegians, and Dutch make everything with hammer and chisel.

Playing the Waiting Game keithlaw's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    294 Posts
    Because People are ****ing jealous. Notice how they call out CEO's for making so much but do they mention that Will Smith gets 20 million per a movie or how much athletes make? Nope. But they'll call out CEO's
    The problem isn't that the super rich can buy nicer things than us common folk, but that they can buy law makers to skew the balance of power further in their favor.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to keithlaw For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-31-2014), AerchAngel (05-31-2014), jpx7 (05-31-2014)

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    So the Germans, Japanese, Canadians, South Koreans, Norwegians, and Dutch make everything with hammer and chisel.

Nope. But which of those countries have the same percent of minorities that America has?

The income equality between just whites in America is no worse than any other civilized and modern country. The overall numbers in America are skewed due to the massive amount of uneducated minorities in this country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    There is some truth to this. I get railed on about athletes making obscene amount of money but we have equal idiots that pay for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Nope. But which of those countries have the same percent of minorities that America has?

The income equality between just whites in America is no worse than any other civilized and modern country. The overall numbers in America are skewed due to the massive amount of uneducated minorities in this country.
    You are pushing it, my friend, with me.

There are reasons why this is so and I don't think you want to dance with me on that subject.

Lets just say that European blacks do educate themselves and have same and equal pay as their white equivalents, but they did not come over as slaves and conditioned to live a lifestyle inbred for 150 years.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to AerchAngel For This Useful Post:

njc108 (06-02-2014)

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    910 Posts
    If you are starving on an island with 4 people and someone takes a third of the pie would you not make a stink about it?
    The income pie isn't fixed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    So you believe there is an unlimited supply of resources?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts

I'm just gonna say it, what the flying **** does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

US had minorities in the past, and we made money and didn't have the same level of income inequality. Were minorities magically smarter back in the 60s and 70s? I mean it basically follows 2 trends in the US history, we'll see if we follow the trend again. **** gets bad, banks get out of hand, rich people shave money off, yada yada yada, then the bottom falls out and the stock market crumbles. The average joes revolt and change happens. Things go good for sometime, then the rich find a way to consolidate wealth again and so it continues. We're dealing with here a country who didn't properly invest in the future. The reason the Krauts, Japs, etc. (wanted to see if I could be as offensive as you in a post, did I succeed?) are succeeding is their determination to provide quality education. They don't do the **** that we do. They invest in the future and that's why they're the premier resources in the global market. WHen we built the best products sure there was a premium associated with it but it was worth it. We lost that skill advantage and now there is no premium associated with it.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,787 Posts
    I'm just gonna say it, what the flying **** does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

US had minorities in the past, and we made money and didn't have the same level of income inequality. Were minorities magically smarter back in the 60s and 70s? I mean it basically follows 2 trends in the US history, we'll see if we follow the trend again. **** gets bad, banks get out of hand, rich people shave money off, yada yada yada, then the bottom falls out and the stock market crumbles. The average joes revolt and change happens. Things go good for sometime, then the rich find a way to consolidate wealth again and so it continues. We're dealing with here a country who didn't properly invest in the future. The reason the Krauts, Japs, etc. (wanted to see if I could be as offensive as you in a post, did I succeed?) are succeeding is their determination to provide quality education. They don't do the **** that we do. They invest in the future and that's why they're the premier resources in the global market. WHen we built the best products sure there was a premium associated with it but it was worth it. We lost that skill advantage and now there is no premium associated with it.
    It couldn't have anything to do with the trillions of dollars the fed reserve prints and sends straight to banks could it?

No. Never

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Will Smith doesn't close up factories that employ thousands of American workers and outsource the work using slave labor in China so we can get a cheap POS inferior product for the same price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keithlaw View Post
    The problem isn't that the super rich can buy nicer things than us common folk, but that they can buy law makers to skew the balance of power further in their favor.
    Is that the CEO's fault or the lawmakers we have selected's fault?
    Ivermectin Man