Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Compleete & Ready For Debate: 1st-ever Chop Country Prospects List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Braves system is going to be underrated again this year. Like nsacpi eloquently pointed out earlier, the Braves just produce quality major leaguer after quality major leaguer. Guys like Gattis/Terdo/Martin aren't highly valued by national prospect list makers but they will all be valueable major league players. Braves will probably end up with a 21-24 ranking and the usual suspects like Law will say how Wren doesn't know how to draft. But, in the end the Braves are producing major leaugers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Braves system is going to be underrated again this year. Like nsacpi eloquently pointed out earlier, the Braves just produce quality major leaguer after quality major leaguer. Guys like Gattis/Terdo/Martin aren't highly valued by national prospect list makers but they will all be valueable major league players. Braves will probably end up with a 21-24 ranking and the usual suspects like Law will say how Wren doesn't know how to draft. But, in the end the Braves are producing major leaugers.
    Also we seem to be coming out of a dry spell in terms of getting good international signings into the system. Last year we saw the stateside debuts of Cabrera, Peraza and Merejo. This year's group includes Victor Reyes, Camargo and Leon. Those are six quality prospects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Also we seem to be coming out of a dry spell in terms of getting good international signings into the system. Last year we saw the stateside debuts of Cabrera, Peraza and Merejo. This year's group includes Victor Reyes, Camargo and Leon. Those are six quality prospects.
    I'm not worried at all about the Braves farm moving forward. There is nowhere to go at the major league level right now so these kids are going to get to develop the right way.
    Last edited by thethe; 07-16-2013 at 03:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I'm not worried at all about the Braves farm moving forward. There is nowhere to go at the major league level right now so these kids are going to get to develop the right way.
    That's a good point. Because of finances we've rushed some of our prospects. For the most part it has worked out, but I think it might be part of the reason we see some inconsistency in some our of young players. Some of the adjustments and learning that they might have gone through in AAA they are doing at the major league level. I think it is no coincidence that the steadiest of our young hitters is Freeman, who happens to be the only one who spent almost a full year in AAA. Among the pitchers, Teheran is the one who spent two years marinating in AAA. I think he clearly benefited and learned from the struggles he went through last year.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    For what it's worth, I am rapidly upgrading my worth of Victor Reyes. He is on fire. I would love to see him in person.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    For what it's worth, I am rapidly upgrading my worth of Victor Reyes. He is on fire. I would love to see him in person.
    Love Reyes and Camargo! Camargo has a very nice short swing, he has good plate discipline and he can play multiple positions.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    I wish I could have stepped up and included Alejandro Piloto. He is hitting and playing defense with a huge arm in Danville and is now playing every day. He's older, so he could climb quickly!

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    I'm curious as to why Kyle Wren is not rated any higher than he is. 22 year old center fielder in Rome, who in his first 17 games (first 5 in Danville), he is hitting .357/.408/.529/.936 and has already stolen 13 bases and has not been caught, yet he is not rated in the top 30? How is that possible?

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    I would guess because he has only played 17 games.

But from the early results he should be moving up soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Yeah, it was such a small sample and he wasn't a top draft choice. If Rico plans on doing an offseason version of this list I'm sure his name would be included somewhere. Wren has been a pleasant surprise from 13 draft.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    here is a little write up from Talking Chop

Kyle Wren | Center Fielder | Age: 22 | Rome

73 PAs, 1 HR, 13 SB, 6 BB, 7 K, .348/.403/.515

After the 2013 MLB Rule 4 Draft, few players caught the eyes of fans like 8th round pick Kyle Wren. Wren's last name made him somewhat of a known commodity; if you haven't heard by now, he's the son of Braves' GM Frank Wren. But don't let that fool you, because Wren was drafted on his merits. In fact, Baseball America ranked Wren the 210th best prospect of the 2013 draft; The Braves got him at pick #253.

On the diamond, Wren's best tool is his speed. With what two different scouts label as 70 speed, he's the fastest guy in Atlanta's system right now. That speed allows him to cover wide swaths of center field easily, making him an above-average defender at the position. That speed also plays very well on the base paths, where Wren has excellent basestealing instincts. The reads and jumps he gets are impressive and have led to him swiping 13 bases in 17 minor league games without being caught a single time. For an idea of his instincts on the base paths, check out this video of him stealing third base earlier this week.

While Wren's speed has been as good as advertised so far, the bat is what's most surprising. Through 17 games, Wren's putting up a scalding .348/.403/.515 line. The power is what's truly impressive, as he's already smacked 9 extra base hits. His speed certainly aids him in that department too. Wren will never be a big home run guy, but the hope is that he can put on a little more muscle to give him decent gap power - his speed should do the rest.

The biggest caveat with Wren right now is that he's 22 years old in Low-A. He'll have to prove himself with the bat in higher levels, and I imagine the Braves will be aggressive in promoting him, given his age and stellar results so far. But, regardless of how well his bat plays, his speed and instincts (both on the bases and in the field) should make him an asset.

- Dan Simpson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    We have four fringy centerfield prospects--Cunningham, Lipka, Wren, Lien. It will be interesting to see how they develop. Maybe one of them will surprise and develop into a regular.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    We have four fringy centerfield prospects--Cunningham, Lipka, Wren, Lien. It will be interesting to see how they develop. Maybe one of them will surprise and develop into a regular.
    I think Wren might have the highest floor of that group but Lien has the highest ceiling. You are right though. There are some CF options down the road if the Braves are forced to make a change with BJ after 2-3 years.

Overall though, the hitting is on the upswing down on the farm.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Thanks Skidlee for posting that. I'm very intrigued by Wren. Yes he is 22 in Rome, but that is simply because that is where he was placed (after an obvious promotion need after 5 games in Danville). His elite speed coupled with excellent instincts, along with great defense, profiles him to be a perfect leadoff man if he continues to develop. I would easily place him no lower than 25 now and would raise that considerably if he continue to impress as he moves up the ladder.
    Last edited by skillet; 07-20-2013 at 08:13 PM. Reason: error

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skillet View Post
    Thanks Skillet for posting that. I'm very intrigued by Wren. Yes he is 22 in Rome, but that is simply because that is where he was placed (after an obvious promotion need after 5 games in Danville). His elite speed coupled with excellent instincts, along with great defense, profiles him to be a perfect leadoff man if he continues to develop. I would easily place him no lower than 25 now and would raise that considerably if he continue to impress as he moves up the ladder.
    Thats fair. This list was created to generate this kind of debate. You know its a great site when people are debating who should be listed in the 20-30 range of top prospects. Please continue to share your opinions. It will only make this community better.

And don't forget to drink some of our kool-aid on the way out!

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    I think Wren might have the highest floor of that group but Lien has the highest ceiling. You are right though. There are some CF options down the road if the Braves are forced to make a change with BJ after 2-3 years.

Overall though, the hitting is on the upswing down on the farm.
    thethe, I agree that Lien might have the highest ceiling. I think he has the potential to be really good, but Wren brings the potential of an excellent leadoff hitter that we don't have in the system other than perhaps Lipka, but Wren could be much better.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    By the way guys, I was mdcd4 on the old Braves board but this site wouldn't allow me to register with it. Good to be on this site and back with great Braves posters like ya'll.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to skillet For This Useful Post:

weso1 (07-20-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skillet View Post
    By the way guys, I was mdcd4 on the old Braves board but this site wouldn't allow me to register with it. Good to be on this site and back with great Braves posters like ya'll.
    What the heck took you so long? Its great to have you back in the mix!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    It would be great if Wren and Peraza developed in genuine top of the order guys.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    I will post this also

Connor Lien | Center Fielder | Age: 19 | Danville

96 PAs, 4 HR, 4 SB, 7 BB, 34 K, .258/.316/.528

A 12th round pick in 2012 out of Windermere, Florida, Lien possesses massive sleeper potential due to a broad assortment of tools that could make an impact at the highest level. The 6’3”, 205 pound outfielder possesses a large frame with room for upper- and lower-body development, currently resembling a Division-I wide receiver in a baseball uniform. As of now, he’s a center fielder and projects to stay there in the near future thanks in part to his plus speed. His future defensive home is still up in the air and will be determined by how his body develops down the line. At the plate, Lien is quite raw, but has all the ingredients for a good hitter with plenty of power are present. At the moment, his swing is geared for hard line drives to the gaps, but the hope is that as he continues to physically mature and add loft to his swing, the power will start to manifest itself in the form of over-the-fence pop.

Lien showed a great eye with very little power in his professional debut last season. In a small sample so far in 2013, the outfielder has shown quite the opposite, posting a .518 slugging percentage — good for sixth best in the Appalachian League — despite walking in only 5.6 percent of his plate appearances. It’s fewer than 100 plate appearances, but it’s a trend worth noticing. Another issue is the propensity for swing-and-miss (35.6 percent this season), but it’s way too early to write him off completely based on this fact. The potential is there for plus power, so striking out at this level while making the necessary swing adjustments can be overlooked to a certain extent. Batters at this stage of the game are of the see-ball, hit-ball mentality, so the fact that he’s driving the ball with authority when he hits it is a definite positive; look for the other skills to develop later. He’s a ways away, but Lien may very well be worth the wait.

- Ethan Purser