Thread: Compleete & Ready For Debate: 1st-ever Chop Country Prospects List

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Shae Simmons | Right-Handed Pitcher | Age: 22 | Rome

38.0 IP, 14 BB, 59 K, 1.000 WHIP, 1.86 ERA

Shae Simmons was drafted by the Braves in the 22nd round of the 2012 MLB Draft out of Southeast Missouri State. The 5’9” right-hander whips his arm through at a ¾ slot, sitting mid-90’s with his fastball and ability to touch 97. He also offers a hard mid-to-low 80’s slider as a secondary pitch, something that will need improved command as he advances levels. Simmons is a bit old for Southern League prospect standards, but expect him to get promoted soon considering how well he’s performed this season. In 37 innings, he has sported a 1.70 ERA and 1.31 FIP to go along with a 59:13 strikeout-to-walk ratio. Simmons also benefits from keeping the ball on the ground – he has yet to give up a home run in 2013. The obvious player comp many will probably throw out, because he is short in stature, is Craig Kimbrel. While even in a perfect world he will never reach this level, he could turn into a solid back end arm. If he can improve his secondary stuff, look for him to progress rather quickly. You can check him out for yourself here (courtesy of Nathaniel Stoltz).

- Andrew Sisson

----------------------------------

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Victor Reyes | Left Fielder | Age: 18 | Gulf Coast League

88 PAs, 0 HR, 3 SB, 10 BB, 13 K, .365/.437/.473

Signed on the July 2, 2011 international signing day for $362,000, Victor Reyes is a talented 18-year-old outfielder from Venezuela. If I was Ethan, I would go on and on about his 6' 3"/180 frame that oozes projection with broad shoulders and lithe limbs. Reyes has some current speed, but as he fills out, he’ll likely slow down a touch. The Braves have already moved him to the corners during his stay in the GCL, and that’s where he’s likely to end up. The hope with Reyes is that he turns into a solid defensive outfielder with a good batting average and at least solid secondary skills, but he’s, of course, a long way away. But he’s off to an amazing professional start, and he’s doing well in the GCL, especially looking at the .353/.432/.471 line and 10/13 BB/K ratio. Again, it’s early, but he could very well start popping up on prospect lists in the next year or so.

- Mark Smith

----------------------------------

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skillet View Post
    By the way guys, I was mdcd4 on the old Braves board but this site wouldn't allow me to register with it. Good to be on this site and back with great Braves posters like ya'll.
    You were on of the better posters so I'm glad you're here!

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Thanks thethe and Jay212033. For some reason I had trouble getting registered for this site but it finally worked. So glad to find ya'll here as the other site has diminished so badly. Overall I think Rico did a really nice job with this list. I would just have Wren and Reyes in the Salazar/Caratini range.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Kyle Wren continues to tear up Rome with a 3 for 5 night upping his slash line to .358/.404/.509/.913. He also has 14 stolen bases in only 18 games and still has not been caught.

Jose Peraza also with a 3 for 5 night upping his batting average to .281 with 40 stolen bases in 74 games.

One of my personal favorites Tommy La Stella, batting 3rd for AA Mississippi, also 3 for 5 and his slash line is now up to .329/.395/.438/.833 with 15 walks to only 13 strike outs. For his minor league career, he has an excellent batting average of .322 with an elite OBP of .404 with 89 walks to just 67 strike outs. He is an on base machine, something the big league club lacks.
    Last edited by skillet; 07-21-2013 at 10:14 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skillet View Post
    Kyle Wren continues to tear up Rome with a 3 for 5 night upping his slash line to .358/.404/.509/.913. He also has 14 stolen bases in only 18 games and still has not been caught.

Jose Peraza also with a 3 for 5 night upping his batting average to .281 with 40 stolen bases in 74 games.

One of my personal favorites Tommy La Stella, batting 3rd for AA Mississippi, also 3 for 5 and his slash line is now up to .329/.395/.438/.833 with 15 walks to only 13 strike outs. For his minor league career, he has an elite OBP of .404 with 89 walks to just 67 strike outs. He is an on base machine, something the big league club lacks.
    I find it interesting that Wren, Peraza and La Stella have skills that really complement the major league group very well. It will be interesting to see how it all fits together over the next few years. Putting a major league roster together is like fitting a jigsaw puzzle.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    It think La Stella is going to be the future at 2b, Looks like a very good player. You HAVE to love the OBP. The eye alone will get him to the majors.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Been busy with work and unable to take the time to post. Thanks for the list rico. Looks like you put a lot of thought into it.

I'm probably first chair in those who are on the pessimistic side of the farm system. There's no question we've graduated a bunch of guys in the past couple of seasons and that has weakened the system at the upper reaches, but it's more than a national perception. We just don't have a lot of quality guys above A right now. I think there are contributors and those are always helpful, but I just don't see a lot of "shake."

Only addition I would make is putting Elmer Reyes in somewhere between 25 and 30. Kid likely won't hit, but he can pick it and may project as a Ramiro Pena type.

As for Wren (and I'll admit I didn't like the pick but am not rooting for him to fail), he should be tearing it up in Rome. It's a lower level of competition than college D-1. We'll see how he proceeds. Again, he's probably a cog in the machine and it's always good to have solid cogs, but I doubt he's got much of a top end.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 07-24-2013 at 08:43 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Been busy with work and unable to take the time to post. Thanks for the list rico. Looks like you put a lot of thought into it.

I'm probably first chair in those who are on the pessimistic side of the farm system. There's no question we've graduated a bunch of guys in the past couple of seasons and that has weakened the system at the upper reaches, but it's more than a national perception. We just don't have a lot of quality guys above A right now. I think there are contributors and those are always helpful, but I just don't see a lot of "shake."

Only addition I would make is putting Elmer Reyes in somewhere between 25 and 30. Kid likely won't hit, but he can pick it and may project as a Ramiro Pena type.

As for Wren (and I'll admit I didn't like the pick but am not rooting for him to fail), he should be tearing it up in Rome. It's a lower level of competition than college D-1. We'll see how he proceeds. Again, he's probably a cog in the machine and it's always good to have solid cogs, but I doubt he's got much of a top end.
    Good points all around. Our better prospects are in Rome or rookie ball. The guys in the higher levels project mostly as useful bench/pen players. Alex Wood being the big exception.

I was also going to say something about Reyes. He could be the Janish/Pena type infield backup in a few years. I was surprised at how athletic he was in the spring training games.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Bethancourts defense is legit. It is the real deal.
    Maybe he can be our Molina. Hell Yadier couldn't hit for a while and now look at him

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FUEagle View Post
    Maybe he can be our Molina. Hell Yadier couldn't hit for a while and now look at him
    The guy is starting to hit right now as well. The scouting reports were always that he had power and showed it in BP but couldn't translate that to the games. Maybe that is starting now.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Was Andrelton Simmons on our list, or was he one of those under the radar guys that just popped out of nowhere?

I don't recall seeing him on our prospects lists.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyStark View Post
    Was Andrelton Simmons on our list, or was he one of those under the radar guys that just popped out of nowhere?

He was a top 10 guy but always very underrated because he didn't show any power.

Zito, famously said being arguably the best defensive SS in the minor leagues means nothing.

Either way, Braves prospects are always underrated now. Terdo is going to b a good one.

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    He was a top 10 guy but always very underrated because he didn't show any power.

Zito, famously said being arguably the best defensive SS in the minor leagues means nothing.

Either way, Braves prospects are always underrated now. Terdo is going to b a good one.
    It was said he didn't have much of a bat despite having won the batting title in the Carolina League. Um.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chipchildress View Post
    It was said he didn't have much of a bat despite having won the batting title in the Carolina League. Um.
    He is going to hit 15 homeruns a year consistently. Guy has some pop and will develop more in a year or so.

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    I just don't know how you win a batting title and people say you can't hit...power or not. But what do I know...

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chipchildress View Post
    I just don't know how you win a batting title and people say you can't hit...power or not. But what do I know...
    I think you do that when your name is Bill Shanks and you think everything you write is gosphel.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Bethancourt continuing to hit. His slash line in 64 games at AA Mississippi is now up to a respectable .280/.309/.436/.745. Christian still won't turn 22 for another 34 days which is young for the Southern League.

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    I know la Stella can hit but how is his defense? Lipka and betancourt should be higher on the list and Gilmarten should be lower, IMO.

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyStark View Post

I think he was rated the 3rd best brave prospect a couple of years ago.