Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Compleete & Ready For Debate: 1st-ever Chop Country Prospects List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Rico,

If you had it to do over based on updated stats and how players are trending... what would be different?
    Ivermectin Man

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    Gilmartin is hardly a prospect for me. Ceiling of a #5, probably a swingman. He's not one of our top 20 prospects. My top 10 right now would go as

1. Sims- performance speaks for itself
    2. Wood- stuff is good enough to be a #2 or #3. mechanics leave concern for improvement in command and staying healthy.
    3. Cabrera- he's a lottery ticket right now but id rather hold this ticket than the rest of the starters who dont have near the promise.
    4. Graham- he's at least a late inning reliever, though the injury isnt helping the skepticism surrounding his starting capabilities.
    5. Martin- Looks like a #4 starter. Command needs to sharpen if he is gonna be that in the majors. Undervalued the past couple years.
    6. Peraza- Speed looks good and he will take some walks. No present power, right now he looks like a utility guy with potential to be more.
    7. Bethancourt- Strides with the bat look promising. His plate discipline is still terrible even with a slight increase in walks. Still skeptical.
    8. Caratini- The bat I am most encouraged about in the low minors. Like the K/BB rate. He's a lottery ticket but again the lack of upside in the other bats put him this high.
    9. La Stella- Always loved his K/BB rates. He's a super sub at least but he needs to stay healthy. He's a potential leadoff or #2 hole guy due to his OBP skills.
    10. Hursh- All we have is his college scouting reports. But conservatively speaking, he's a late inning reliever in the bullpen.

We have a lot of high floor guys who will make the majors. Low on impact talents, but that happens when you graduate so much talent. Because of the lack of impact talents, Cabrera and Caratini are ranked higher than where others might rank them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to atl717 For This Useful Post:

yeezus (08-05-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Wes Parsons is rising fast.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I still don't consider Betancourt much of a prospect. He is no longer "super young for his level", so that argument can no longer be used. He's not having a bad season with the bat, but it's nothing really of any note either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I still don't consider Betancourt much of a prospect. He is no longer "super young for his level", so that argument can no longer be used. He's not having a bad season with the bat, but it's nothing really of any note either.
    He is a catcher with ELITE defensive skills. He doesn't need to hit a lot to be considered a prospect at all. now that he is a hitting a little bit he is absolutely a prospect.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Lol off Bethancourt not a prospect. BTW, there are only 11 players in that league that are 21 or younger (3 at 20). He is almost a virtual lock to be a major league starting catcher based on his defensive skills. Also on a good note he has improved his offensive product while repeating the league.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    How old is Bethancourt?

21-22?

Wasn't Julio around the same age and a prospect, and others. Hit hitting has improved this year.

It's all about if he can hold his own offensively. He'd be a top 3-5 defensive catcher if he was in the majors, his defense is that good.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Bethancourt isn't amazing. But he and Salcedo are about the only high upside guys we have in AA or high.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Whoa! Hold yer damn horses, people. Some bad intel on this page. I'll try to sort some things out, but I won't revise my top 30 until September.

Gilmartin was hurt and tried pitching that way too long. He rehabbed and is (as you'd hope) blowimg away the young-uns in the GCL: 9 innings, one hit, zero walks, 11 strikeouts, 0.00 ERA. He'll be fine -- if only as trade bait.

Bethancourt is fine and on track. The bright lights of Evan Gattis have put him back in the shadows a little -- which is just fine. His power is developing, his team is 10 games over .500 for the year, he still just 21.

We have a lot more on Hursh now than his college scouting reports. He has worked in six games for a total of 18 professional innings and has given up zilch. To be specific, he's allowed nine hits, seven walks, struck out 14 and not allowed a run of any kind.

I'm having a hard time leaving Graham up there (as others have) beause so many pitchers are showing top shelf talent while Graham sits and and sits.

Trying not to go apeshi* over Victor Reyes. He has just been promoted to Danville, but he has yet to hit a home run.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    You have to think that Wes Parsons has pole vaulted his place in the organization. Top 20? Top 10?

What do you all think?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    You have to think that Wes Parsons has pole vaulted his place in the organization. Top 20? Top 10?

What do you all think?
    He had another excellent outing tonight, 7 innings, allowed only 2 hits, no runs, no walks, 8 strike outs. ERA down to 2.75. I think he might be considered somewhere in the 20-25 range at this point. Shae Simmons has also been really impressive, ERA of 1.40 for the year, striking out 14.2/9.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Yeah. Parsons is rising fast.

My current top 10:

1. Sims
    2. Peraza
    3. Bethancourt
    4. Cabrera
    5. Salcedo
    6. Hursh
    7. Parsons
    8. Graham
    9. Martin
    10. Victor Reyes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Yeah. Parsons is rising fast.

My current top 10:

1. Sims
    2. Peraza
    3. Bethancourt
    4. Cabrera
    5. Salcedo
    6. Hursh
    7. Parsons
    8. Graham
    9. Martin
    10. Victor Reyes
    Really such a shame that Graham got hurt. Guy would be near or at the top of the list otherwise.

What is the update on him at this point? Is he projected that throw again this year?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Also, I know he is on the outside of the top 10 looking in but Kubitza is really in the mix. His bat rebounded after a tough year in Rome last year and his above average defense will take him far. Wish he hit for a higher average and didn't strike out as much because that worries me that he will get exposed as he ascends in the organization but for now he is another interesting guy for next year. That Miss team will need it. Aside from a couple of pitchers I don't think they will be very good at the start of the year next year.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Also Nscapi....not thinking about putting Caratini in that top 10? Tough decision IMO between he and Reyes.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Also Nscapi....not thinking about putting Caratini in that top 10? Tough decision IMO between he and Reyes.
    I have Gilmartin at 11 and Caratini at 12.

Caratini definitely deserves consideration for the Top 10.

And so does Gilmartin. People have prematurely written him off. He was pitching with an injured shoulder most of this year.

One nice thing about some of our hitting prospects (Caratini, Reyes, Wren, Peraza, La Stella) is that they seem to have very good approaches. They keep the strikeouts down, walk a fair amount and use the entire field. Reyes is going to add some power as he fills out. Caratini too is eventually going to turn some of those doubles into home runs.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 08-10-2013 at 08:28 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Can't agree with you anymore. Gilmartin will be a back end starter in the big leagues for a few years. Nothing special but when you make hte big leagues thats impressive.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Can't agree with you anymore. Gilmartin will be a back end starter in the big leagues for a few years. Nothing special but when you make hte big leagues thats impressive.
    Well I have Martin ahead of him, and Martin to me is a back end of the rotation starter at best. I'm not saying Gilmartin is going to be an ace by any means, but even guys in our Top 10 don't project as aces. Even Sims doesn't project as an ace. I'd be happy if he was a solid #3 in a major league rotation. Obviously, he is younger and has a bit more upside than guys like Martin and Gilmartin, but aces are far and few between. Probably no one in our system--major or minor leagues--is going to be an ace. A few guys have a chance. Imo Teheran has the best chance, but even with him I'd put the odds of his becoming one of the 20 best starters in the majors (roughly my definition of an ace since not every team has an ace) at less than 50%.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 08-10-2013 at 08:34 AM.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Minor did not project as an ace. Beachy did not project as an ace. Was Medlen an "ace" when he was the best pitcher in te NL last September. Guess someone thought Wainwright didn't project as one, either. PRojections are, by and large, crapshots if not just crap.

Kids mature physically when adulthood arrives. Arms worn out in high school/college/summer ball get rested or repaired. Mechanics get fixed or go to hell. Not saying you're right or wrong, but you keep citing "projections" I tend to lose interest. Who does the projecting? Who watches the Watchmen?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Minor did not project as an ace. Beachy did not project as an ace. Was Medlen an "ace" when he was the best pitcher in te NL last September. Guess someone thought Wainwright didn't project as one, either. PRojections are, by and large, crapshots if not just crap.

Kids mature physically when adulthood arrives. Arms worn out in high school/college/summer ball get rested or repaired. Mechanics get fixed or go to hell. Not saying you're right or wrong, but you keep citing "projections" I tend to lose interest. Who does the projecting? Who watches the Watchmen?
    rico killing these niggas on that prospect ****, mayonnaise colored Benz he push miracle whips.