Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Compleete & Ready For Debate: 1st-ever Chop Country Prospects List

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

Compleete & Ready For Debate: 1st-ever Chop Country Prospects List

Here's my full list, for better or worse. Again, thanks to thethe for his comments – and thank you for yours. Unlike Shanks, I will not defend this list to the death, nor will I question the IQ of those who differ. It's a LIST, a starting point, a basis for discussion. So go discuss and cuss.

1. Alex Wood, LHP. On the list by defaut; he has proven he sdbelongs in majors, but he is ',back to AAA to stretch his arm back out as a starter. He blew through the farm system in record time for a Braves pitching draftee.Seems apparent the Braves will be trading a starter sometime soon.

2. Luke Sims, RHP. Last year's No. 1 pick doesn't turn 20 until next May, but he has a sub-2.00 ERA in Rome since April. The hometown boy (Lawrenceville) is holding SAL hitters to a .183 average. Slowly but surely is working just fine for Sims, as he had eight relief appearance before joining the Rome rotation (3-2, 2.27 as starter).

3. Mauricio Cabrera, RHP. Sims' Rome teammate turns 20 in September, but has been stretched out to a career high number of innings already and was clocked at over 100 mph in his last start, against A-Rod and Charleston. .At 6-2, 180, he looks like a veteran but is probably feeling the fatigue of his workload.

4. Jose Peraza, SS. The reins have been taken off the 6-0 shortstop from Venzuela, and the results have been spectacular. Since the SAL all-star game, he's 16-16 in stolen bases and has 10 steals in nine games in July. He's stolen 36 total bases in 2013, including four in one game. But he has 21 errors at shortstop this year. He's hitting .273 -- .400 in July.

5. Cody Martin, RHP. With injuries to Graham and Gilmartin, Martin (who has rebounded from a broken foot late last year) has because the next starter in line for promotion. Since moving up to Gwinnett, he won his first two starts while holding IL hitters to a .222 average over five starts (2-1, 2.73). Big and strong (6-2, 225, he turns 24 in September, so he's right on track.

6. Jason Hursh, RHP. So far, so good. Two short outings without a run allowed for this year's No. 1 pick -- the expectation is he moves through the system as quickly as Minor or Gilmartin, if not Wood. But he will be on a pitch count for a while after sitting idle for two months.

7. J.R. Graham, RHP. His "minor" shoulder problem has him shelved for two months after a slow start. His last game action was May 13th, and no rehab schedule has been announced. Shoulders are much bigger concerns that elbows, and the Braves have every right to be concerned.

8. Tommy La Stella, 2B. The smooth swing of La Stella would likely have him already in Gwinnett if not for a serious series of injuries, including a beaning and hamstring problems. It's doubtful we've seen 100 percent of La Stella over an extended period of time. If his defense measures up, he's Uggla's successor.

9. Gus Schlosser, RHP. Every list I've seen has underrated Schosser, but all he's done is dominate every league he's been placed in. Since being signed in 2011, he's 21-9 with eight saves and a sub-.3.00 ERA (including 2.36 this season at Mississippi). He gonna win someone a lot of games one day.

10. Christian Bethancourt, C. Why has he every dropped out of the top 10? He's still only 21, and is hitting a respectable .262 in the Soutfhern League, where only four players are over .300. He has five homers and 14 doubles, so the power is slowly finding itself. He also has seven stolen bases and defense to die for

11. Sean Gilmartin, LHP. The former No. 1 hit the wall at Gwinnett this year even before his injury. In his last 10 starts, he was 2-7, 7.04 and hasn't thrown since June 16. He4, too, has a shoulder problem (they're calling it tendinitis for now).

12. Edward Salcedo, 3B. One aspect of Salcedo has emerged this year at AA -- leadership. He has been the constant in the lineup, his errors are down and he will set personal bests in every offensive category. He is, lest we forget, 21 (22 in two weeks). He is slumping in July, had a superb May.

13. Matt Lipka, CF. Another guy who should have never slipped on the prospect board. Injuries fouled his progress, but he has been a first-rate CF this year and his bat (.287) is starting to measure up to his speed (19 SBs) and glove as a tool. Already has career high in homers, within two doubles and three RBIs of matching those highs.

14. Joey Terdoslavich, RF. Worried (until Saturday afternoon) that he'd flop this audition and never get another chance. This guy is a born AL DH, and has trade value right now.

15. David Hale, RHP. After an all-star season for Mississippi, an caused him to miss a month. But he's pitched well, if in bad luck, for Gwinnett since his return. See Friday night's game for merely the latest example. See him as bullpen candidate in 2014.

16. Carlos Salazar, RHP. Going 100 percent on potential here. Retired no one in his second pro appearance. But everyone loves his arm and the Braves paid for the honor, so here he sits for the moment.

17. Victor Caratini, 3B-C. Has seemingly settled on third as his pro position. Done more than his 4-4 debut, but the Puerto Rican is a hitting machine. He's the third and last of this year's picks to be ranked here.

18. Shae Simmons, RHP. Mainly a guy who can place his 96 mp fastball, but his potential to add another pitch. On a pace for 30 saves this year.

19. Carlos Perez, LHP. Once a top 10 guy, he fell off the face of the map in 2011. Reinvented as setup guy/LOOOGY, he has recaptured his mojo and has been unhittable in small doses this year. It's not a big leap to say he could do the job in the majors, but he's only just returned to Lynchburg.

20. Todd Cunningham, CF. On schedule to go onto the 40-man roster next year, if not sooner. A pure singles hitter, has fewer XBH than Bethancourt. But he is a switch-hitter and he has stolen 16 bases and only struck out 47 times.

21. Connor Lien, CF. The youngest player (19) on Danville's roster, he's also the team's leadoff man who has been on a hot streak (10-27 since July 5). Has all the tools except power, and is emerging as a leader as well. Should rise on this list.

22. Aaron Northcraft, RHP. Having a bad year (3-8, 4.30) while his peers are having a good year. Healthy, but looking as if he'll need a second year in Double-A. Strikeouts down, walks and home runs allowed up.

23. Wilson Rivera, RHP. Converted infielder has come into his own in 2013 (5-0, 1.99). In his pro career, Wilson is now 9-0, 2.13 in 80 games with 170 strikeouts in 127 innings. Needs to be pushed through the system from this point forward.

24. Josh Elander, LF. Concerns about his position are fading fast. He hasn't picked up in Lynchburg where he left off in Rome, however; he seemed likely to earn 100 RBis in Rome. Overall, has 37 extra base hits in 84 games, 63 RBIs and is still batting a combined .312.

25. Mark Lamm, RHP. Has continued to be steady after his surprising promotion to Gwinnett. You'll see him in the majors before you see Gearrin again. Was a starter the whole time at Vandy, and has gone through some growing pains as a closer.

26. Robby Hefflinger, LF. Placed himself solidly on the prospects lists with his double-whammy in the all-star game (MVP and HR Derby winner). Was miles ahead of everyone in the SAL, and had power with average (.286). Power followed him to AA (24 total); he just needs to string some small hits together to get on Big Boy radar.

27. Victor Reyes, OF. The mystery man, who is making his stateside debut in style: .351-0-12 in 16 games. The 6-3, 170 Venezuelan is a lefty hitter who is also 2-2 in stolen bases. He doesn't turn 19 until October, so don't expect him to be rushed along.

Over on his new site, Gondeee is considering Thomas a prospect now, as his conversion to starter has been as successful as his earlier relief work. A healthy left-hander with live stuff. Of course28. Ian Thomas, LHP. he is a prospect, and his latest start was his best.

29. Ryan Buchter, LHP. Basing this much more on his 2012 with Miss. (3-1, 4 saves, 1.31) than his initial full season in AAA -- but he has still struck out 65 in 40 innings.

30. Jesus Jones, RHP. I refused to do this list without my new personal saver. In his second DSL season at age 18, the 6-2, 165 Domincan right-hander has pitched in eight games, worked 12 innings with no earned runs, striking out 11 and walking five. He has a streak of 10 straight shutout innings working. Opponents are managing only a .146 average against him.

Just missed: Joe Leonard, 3B. Can play third (or first) in the majors right now. Bat will be his Waterloo.
    Last edited by rico43; 07-16-2013 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Fixed Sims' age

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (07-24-2013), Aussiechop (07-31-2013), BRule (07-16-2013), Chico (07-16-2013), Dalyn (07-16-2013), Elvislovedthebraves (07-24-2013), Heyward (07-20-2013), Horsehide Harry (07-29-2013), IowaBrave14 (07-17-2013), jgriff3029 (07-16-2013), jpx7 (07-16-2013), Mrs. Meta (07-16-2013), parkvadawg (07-16-2013), Pugfan (08-06-2013), Tapate50 (07-16-2013), The Chosen One (07-16-2013), thethe (07-16-2013), TXBravesFan (07-17-2013), weso1 (07-16-2013)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I would probably put La Stella and Salcedo a little higher. But good list overall. Personally I'd put Sims 1 and WOod 2 but given how much closer Wood is to the majors, obviously I'm OK with him being higher.

I really hope Lipka keeps developing, would be nice to have a speedy option to use in a future OF.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I think the most underrated or unoticed story of the farm this year is Bethancourt is showing some power. Guy is still young and in AA. He doesn' tneed to hit a lot ot be a valueable major league player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Bravo on a nicely put together list sure to stimulate discussion.

The Top 4 I don't think there should be much disagreement on.

There are several young pitchers I would have included on the list: Parsons, Merejo, Leon. Others I would have included: Wren, Camargo, Jaime, Ryne Harper.

The ones I would not have included to make room for the seven above: Jesus (sorry), Buchter, Lamm, Rivera, Lien, Simmons, Salazar

I think Schlosser should be in the Top 30, but much lower on the list. I would push up Victor Reyes a bit.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

rico43 (07-16-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I don't think Lien should be bumped out honestly. He has been said to be an extremely toolsy player and while his BB/K numbers are rough he is doing a nice job in Danville this year.

I think the other points are fair and it should be fun to see how these kids progress in the system. I am a big fan of Wren. Hope he continues to do what he is doing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    With a weaker system, it's sad to see Salcedo so low....Also with Zito as thinking Sims > Wood.

Also, crazy how many names I don't know....where did the farm go? Anyone know where our system ranked with BA and the like? I assume somewhere in the 20's

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Sims by the way is 19. Will turn 20 next May.

Birthdate 5/10/94

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BRule View Post
    With a weaker system, it's sad to see Salcedo so low....Also with Zito as thinking Sims > Wood.

Also, crazy how many names I don't know....where did the farm go? Anyone know where our system ranked with BA and the like? I assume somewhere in the 20's
    Assuming Wood is not elligible (which he won't be) it will be in the upper 20's but if he were eligible I think it would be in the low teens. There is a lot of talent but its lower in the system. The Braves farm ranking is going to suffer from guys making quick ascents (Simmons/Gattis/Wood). If those guys were all still in the minors then it woud look a hell of a lot better but who cares since they are at the major league level.

The top 4-5 is solid. After that there becomes a lot of maybes....

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Do you really think Terdo has trade value? Like for what type of player?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Dan Kolbb

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    What is the knock on Terdo? Nobody is expecting him to be a star but why do you seem so certain that he may not even be a bench player?

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    What is the knock on Terdo? Nobody is expecting him to be a star but why do you seem so certain that he may not even be a bench player?
    I don't understand the "why do you seem so certain that he may not be a bench player" That doesn't make sense to me.

Terdo has a decent stick. He could possibly stick around and fill in for some teams. Maybe he comes out of nowhere and becomes a starter. Chances are he's an Eric Hinske type pinch hitter, hope to not use him in the field guy.

Those guys don't have much trade value.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I don't think Lien should be bumped out honestly. He has been said to be an extremely toolsy player and while his BB/K numbers are rough he is doing a nice job in Danville this year.

I think the other points are fair and it should be fun to see how these kids progress in the system. I am a big fan of Wren. Hope he continues to do what he is doing.
    Keep in mind that Lien is the youngest player on Danville's roster, but is playing center and batting leadoff. Add to to that his recent numbers and we see a guys with speed, range and leadership qualities coming of age a little bit. Lien won't be going away.
    ha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Bravo on a nicely put together list sure to stimulate discussion.

The Top 4 I don't think there should be much disagreement on.

There are several young pitchers I would have included on the list: Parsons, Merejo, Leon. Others I would have included: Wren, Camargo, Jaime, Ryne Harper.

The ones I would not have included to make room for the seven above: Jesus (sorry), Buchter, Lamm, Rivera, Lien, Simmons, Salazar

I think Schlosser should be in the Top 30, but much lower on the list. I would push up Victor Reyes a bit.
    Merejo is obviously a guy that could be included, and a re-think would likely have him somewhere. Parsons is such a wild card, just need to see more from him. Leon's lack of velocity is the old argument against him. Wren is 23 playing with children, but everything points to a good opportunity for him to stick around a while. Jaime not looking like the guy we've seen before and Harper is always going to be an underdog due to his draft position.

Camargo has a lot of defenders, but the way I see it, he's around 32-33 on my list.

Frankly, I'm surprised no one has reacted to Graham and Gilmartin's devaluation and the total disappearance of Navrery Moore.
    Last edited by rico43; 07-16-2013 at 12:38 PM.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I don't know much about Moore, but Graham has a shoulder injury that's concerning, and I wasn't overly high on Gilmartin anyway, add shoulder questions and I'm fine with his ranking.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Just how good is Betancourt's defense?

I think defense is a very underrated part of McCann's game. His value of framing pitches alone gives him plenty of value (that's more K's and changes the way at-bats are taken). He may not throw guys out like Rossy was doing, but he's still very valuable.
    Forever Fredi

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Frankly, I'm surprised no one has reacted to Graham and Gilmartin's devaluation and the total disappearance of Navrery Moore.
    Well, for Graham, the shoulder is a legitimate and large concern.

As for Gilmartin: I was personally never too hopeful with respect to his chances for long-term success, and this season his walks are up nearly a full BB per 9 compared to his AAA stint last season, and almost two BB per 9 when compared to his AA numbers, which is something a low-K guy with his stuff can't really afford. He also permits too many homeruns, further narrowing his margins. He'll have plenty of time in AAA to work, but he doesn't have stuff on his side à la Teheran (for instance), so one can't really ignore the 100 terrible innings with Gwinnett. Honestly, I'm not even sure he still belongs in the top-fifteen, but there aren't many clearly better players to push him down the list, and at least he's still only 23.
    Last edited by jpx7; 07-17-2013 at 03:02 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Bethancourts defense is legit. It is the real deal.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Great list. I am really starting to think we may have a special prospect in Peraza. For a guy that's so young and doing real well in A ball he may move quick. Obviously still years away. Simmons/Peraza up the middle sure sounds good.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to emk418 For This Useful Post:

rico43 (07-16-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    Great list. I am really starting to think we may have a special prospect in Peraza. For a guy that's so young and doing real well in A ball he may move quick. Obviously still years away. Simmons/Peraza up the middle sure sounds good.
    It will be a few years, but Peraza sure would fill our need for a leadoff guy. With Simmons at short, I imagine he will get moved to center or second.