Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: GDT #69. 6/16 7:10 PM (EDT) Phillies(Hamels) @ Braves(Teheran)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    So Deck Chairs on the Titanic will be our theme this season. To be used ironically by those like me who think this team is pretty good and just needs some slight tinkering. And to be used with heartfelt sincerity by those who think it is doomed, utterly doomed.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I don't think the team is doomed, but it is a team that has to play more flawlessly than other teams to be successful and that becomes even more difficult with this set of players (some of whom have pretty noticeable flaws). I think KB21's post sums up a lot of my feelings, although I didn't have any trouble with the Santana signing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Third. At some point, you have to question the structure of the team and evaluate Frank Wren for some of the poor free agent decisions he made. Dan Uggla, BJ Upton, the Chris Johnson extension, giving up a 1st round pick for Ervin Santana. This team owes Dan Uggla $24 million and is getting nothing out of him. Soon, they will be owing BJ Upton a lot of money to only get minimal production out of him. Honestly, the players that are keeping this team afloat right now are Jason Heyward, Freddie Freeman, Evan Gattis, and Julio Teheran.
    We have been over the FA stuff to death. In what world is it his fault players don't play up to their career norms ?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    We have been over the FA stuff to death. In what world is it his fault players don't play up to their career norms ?
    I think Uggla was an accident waiting to happen. You just don't extend a guy that limited athletically to a contract that long. Tools aren't everything, but they still matter some. My gripe on B.J. Upton is the 5th year and the approximate $1.5 M - $2.0 M he appeared to go over market on him. That said, a CF was needed. But neither of these guys are what I would call a core player. The core guys we have now are Freeman, Heyward, and Upton the Younger (who, in fairness to Wren, was acquired at a bargain rate after he had forked over all that coin to Upton the Elder).

Let's play a mental exercise. Does Wren sign Upton the Elder to the contract he signed him to if he gets Upton the Younger before signing a CF? One problem I have with Wren is that many of his moves look good in isolation, but they don't make sense when viewed as part of the larger task. I think the Chris Johnson extension is going to fit into that category as well as the signing of B.J. Upton. Even if our budget is going to get bigger (and it looks like it will), that doesn't mean you simply spend money. You still have to spend it wisely and I don't think Wren always does.

On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List PurpleBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    So Deck Chairs on the Titanic will be our theme this season. To be used ironically by those like me who think this team is pretty good and just needs some slight tinkering. And to be used with heartfelt sincerity by those who think it is doomed, utterly doomed.
    Are we too stubborn to make that tinkering though? Like batting BJ Upton 2nd every day...In hopes of what? He'll turn it around? Everyone with half a brain knows the Braves needed a change at 2b and help at the top of the order. It seems that we may have both in one player but he's always buried batting 7th, arguably the least important spot in the order. Can we entertain the idea of batting Heyward somewhere else besides lead off?

Do I believe we can tinker and improve? Yes...it's possible, but Gonzalez and Wren haven't shown a lot of willingness to do so. Outside of batting the pitcher 8th at least...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBrave View Post
    Are we too stubborn to make that tinkering though? Like batting BJ Upton 2nd every day...In hopes of what? He'll turn it around? Everyone with half a brain knows the Braves needed a change at 2b and help at the top of the order. It seems that we may have both in one player but he's always buried batting 7th, arguably the least important spot in the order. Can we entertain the idea of batting Heyward somewhere else besides lead off?

Do I believe we can tinker and improve? Yes...it's possible, but Gonzalez and Wren haven't shown a lot of willingness to do so. Outside of batting the pitcher 8th at least...
    They've done the most obvious things that had to be done. Drop Uggla. Start increasing Gattis' playing time (four straight games yesterday). Those were the most important and obvious changes that had to be made imo.

La Stella to #2 in the lineup would be a good move too.

Picking up some bullpen help, presumably a lefty, would help as well.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    The plan was probably to break TLS in by hitting him in a low pressure spot for a while. He now has 70 MLB PAs, and while I'm sure we can all agree he isn't really a .387/.449/.419 hitter, it is beyond obvious he needs to be in the top half of this lineup (either 1, 2, or 5) with BJ dropped down to the bottom half.

Lineup optimizer says the top 5 should be TLS, Justin, Heyward, Gattis, Freeman, and I agree. The order isn't super important, but I would definitely try to use Justin and Gattis to split up the 3 LHers as much as possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The plan was probably to break TLS in by hitting him in a low pressure spot for a while. He now has 70 MLB PAs, and while I'm sure we can all agree he isn't really a .387/.449/.419 hitter, it is beyond obvious he needs to be in the top half of this lineup (either 1, 2, or 5) with BJ dropped down to the bottom half.

Lineup optimizer says the top 5 should be TLS, Justin, Heyward, Gattis, Freeman, and I agree. The order isn't super important, but I would definitely try to use Justin and Gattis to split up the 3 LHers as much as possible.
    I would go with:

Jason
    La Stella
    Justin
    Gattis
    Freeman
    CJ
    BJ
    Simmons

Move each of the bottom 4 up a spot and bat Laird 8th when Gattis rests.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I would go with:

Jason
    La Stella
    Justin
    Gattis
    Freeman
    CJ
    BJ
    Simmons

Move each of the bottom 4 up a spot and bat Laird 8th when Gattis rests.
    Can't have Freddie that low. JMO.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Why do you guys want our best hitter hitting 5th?
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I think Uggla was an accident waiting to happen. You just don't extend a guy that limited athletically to a contract that long. Tools aren't everything, but they still matter some. My gripe on B.J. Upton is the 5th year and the approximate $1.5 M - $2.0 M he appeared to go over market on him. That said, a CF was needed. But neither of these guys are what I would call a core player. The core guys we have now are Freeman, Heyward, and Upton the Younger (who, in fairness to Wren, was acquired at a bargain rate after he had forked over all that coin to Upton the Elder).

Let's play a mental exercise. Does Wren sign Upton the Elder to the contract he signed him to if he gets Upton the Younger before signing a CF? One problem I have with Wren is that many of his moves look good in isolation, but they don't make sense when viewed as part of the larger task. I think the Chris Johnson extension is going to fit into that category as well as the signing of B.J. Upton. Even if our budget is going to get bigger (and it looks like it will), that doesn't mean you simply spend money. You still have to spend it wisely and I don't think Wren always does.
    Uggla was off years simply beating us by himself. He was fresh off a 877 OPS campaign playing 159 games and was a huge position of need (RH Power at the 2b spot). There isn't a ton of RH Power just floating around at that spot. At the time, he was hitting homers in Turner field like it was his home park anyway. While there were a few naysayers at the length of the extenstion, he literally dropped off a cliff. A drop in production so severe Nostadamus would have been shocked to see. Most every FA\Extension transaction goes longer than it should. It is just the nature of the game of FA\Extensions these days. I expect they figured at the end of the extension they would have an overpaid vet on their hands, but not for the last 3 full years of the contract. That is squarely on Uggla.

Beej is\was overpaid, just like every FA signed in the initial parts of FA is. This is the danger of playing in the FA pool really. It is on him to actually perform up to at the very least career norms. Everything we read was saying how having them together was going to bolster both of their play. He went out and got the best defensive CF available with the highest offensive potential. I personally thought Victorino was a better choice (because he wasn't going to require the commitment that BJ did in both $ and years) but he has been pretty far from healthy the last few seasons. We were also coming of Druw years where we saw the value in a CF that can go and get it. I think that had a little to do with them wanting to have that CF that can stop a rally in its tracks, but that judgement seems to be misplaced.

Both guys were huge needs. Apparently Turner is where FAs go to pull their best Wile E. Coyote impression. With the exception of bargain bin pitchers that is.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Why do you guys want our best hitter hitting 5th?
    wOBA numbers for 2014:

Gattis .399
    Justin .379
    Freddie .379

I don't think it matters much in which order these 3 bat, except I would try to avoid having 3 consecutive lefty hitters at the top of our lineup.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    wOBA numbers for 2014:

Gattis .399
    Justin .379
    Freddie .379

I don't think it matters much in which order these 3 bat, except I would try to avoid having 3 consecutive lefty hitters at the top of our lineup.
    sample size.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    sample size.
    Career wOBA

Freeman .360
    Gattis .354
    Justin .360

15. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (06-17-2014)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Career wOBA

Freeman .360
    Gattis .354
    Justin .360
    *Too big of sample

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I don't disagree that Freeman is our best hitter. But the margin is not big.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Career wOBA

Freeman .360
    Gattis .354
    Justin .360
    So Freeman best?

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    wRC+

Freeman 129
    Upton 121
    Gattis 126

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    wRC+

Freeman 129
    Upton 121
    Gattis 126
    is wRC+ a counting stat?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    So Freeman best?
    As I said I don't disagree that Freeman is our best hitter. My point is that there is not much separating him, Upton and Gattis. So there isn't much to choose from in terms of which one hits where. Secondary factors such as separating same-handed hitters come into consideration.

I would try to avoid hitting Heyward, La Stella, Freeman 1-2-3.