Thread: Buchter Called Up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

Buchter Called Up

Gives us a second lefty in the pen.

Wood won't be needed until the 25th. At that point I guess they will send Buchter or Jaime back down. I'd rather keep two lefties in the pen.

Interesting that Thomas has not been called up while Beato, Jaime and Buchter have. I don't think it is because the team is down on Thomas. I think the plan is to stretch him out as a starter in case of need.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (06-20-2014), cajunrevenge (06-20-2014), thethe (06-20-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I hate it that Floyd was hurt, esp. since that likely means no trading Harang. We might try to flip him after he has a few more terrible games, but I figure by then the return if anything won't be worth mentioning. Personally, I'd still try to trade him now before his next start and call up someone for his next start. And I'd get either Hale or Thomas ready to take that spot in the rotation. Of course I like Hale a lot more than most around here too.

Given the off day, we could just use Wood until the DH while we stretch out Hale or Thomas to replace Harang. I know they won't do that though, just saying I would. But I'd also traded Harang as soon as he was able to be traded too.

PS: I can see a fly ball pitcher like Harang getting hammered by the Astros of all people in their little bandbox. Of course if he pitches like he did against Philly he'd get hammered by anyone.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 06-20-2014 at 03:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Good point about the off-day. It will allow Wood to make one more start in AAA.

I don't think we were going to get much for Harang under any circumstances. And with Floyd probably out for the season, I have a feeling some of our backup options in AAA will come into play--Thomas or Martin being the most likely. I like Hale too, but at this point it looks like he's going to be our long man for the rest of the season. I could see him being given a shot at a rotation spot next spring.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Good point about the off-day. It will allow Wood to make one more start in AAA.

I don't think we were going to get much for Harang under any circumstances. And with Floyd probably out for the season, I have a feeling some of our backup options in AAA will come into play--Thomas or Martin being the most likely. I like Hale too, but at this point it look like he's going to be our long man for the rest of the season. I could see him being given a shot at a rotation spot next spring.
    I never thought we'd get a lot for Harang, but better to get a decent bullpen arm than nothing (or almost nothing) by waiting too long. Also, if our back-up options come into play I'd expect Hale to be in consideration. Plus it's not like Fredi has made good use of him out of the bullpen (outside of recently using him in a manner that even he said could lead to injury). Further, I am fine with giving Thomas a shot too but I am not as high on Martin as others here.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    It's already been announced Wood will start Wednesday in Floyd's place

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tvsportscaster For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (06-20-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tvsportscaster View Post
    It's already been announced Wood will start Wednesday in Floyd's place
    I figured that would be the case and I trust Wood of course. It is just tough losing Floyd who was pitching so well because we really need to cut bait with Harang.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Martin is more of a fly ball pitcher. There is always more uncertainty about how those types of pitchers adapt to the majors. I think at some point he will be given a shot. Maybe not with the Braves though.