Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts

MLB Trade Deadline Discussion

Figured we should have a thread to discuss all things related to the deadline which is a little over a month away. Mods please feel free to merge if you deem necessary. However I urge you not to.

Price is going to be the biggest name on the market. Samardzija will also be rumored in a ton of deals as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Lefty reliever is our most obvious need. I think we'll try to get someone we can have under contractual control for several years. Options among teams that are likely to be sellers: Ramos and McGee from the Rays, Torres and Erlin (if his arm his healthy) from the Padres.

We are likely to deal from our surplus of near major league ready right-handed starting pitchers who project as fifth starter types: Hale, Martin, Northcraft, Schlosser, Williams Perez. We also have a bit of a surplus of fourth outfielder types: Schafer, Cunningham, Constanza, Mycal Jones, Hunter. They're a pretty interchangeable group.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-25-2014 at 03:07 PM.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    The Diamondbacks have some relief arms I like. Ziegler, Thatcher and Perez come to mind. Perez is in the first year of a two-year contract, so that might take him out of consideration, and considering how much of a hissy fit Joe Simpson threw when Ollie faced two hitters against us he might not be a "Braves" pitcher, and the Diamondbacks acquired Thatcher just last year, so they might not be in a mood to trade him. But just throwing some names out there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    The Diamondbacks have some relief arms I like. Ziegler, Thatcher and Perez come to mind. Perez is in the first year of a two-year contract, so that might take him out of consideration, and considering how much of a hissy fit Joe Simpson threw when Ollie faced two hitters against us he might not be a "Braves" pitcher, and the Diamondbacks acquired Thatcher just last year, so they might not be in a mood to trade him. But just throwing some names out there.
    For a variety of reasons I think we are more likely to go for a younger guy who is under contractual control for at least another year. Of the guys you listed I think Perez is the most plausible. He isn't young, but is signed through 2015. I think a righty like Ziegler is unlikely to be targeted, given we have Kimbrel, Walden, Carpenter, Varvaro, Simmons, Hale and Jaime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Can't wait for the Mike Deveraux special from the Braves this year.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I'd look at Benoit honestly. Not sure we should push Simmons this year.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    I have always wanted Glenn Perkins. Surprised he hasn't been traded by the Twins in recent years. Local Minnesota guy his whole life. He would definitely solve our issues in the bullpen. However he's owed something like 22 million over the next few years with a club option in 2018.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    For a variety of reasons I think we are more likely to go for a younger guy who is under contractual control for at least another year. Of the guys you listed I think Perez is the most plausible. He isn't young, but is signed through 2015. I think a righty like Ziegler is unlikely to be targeted, given we have Kimbrel, Walden, Carpenter, Varvaro, Simmons, Hale and Jaime.
    I would agree that a lefty is (and should be) our priority. But I tend to prioritize quality bullpen arms over specific handedness, and I think we have enough question marks out there that you can justify acquiring a solid righty. Can we rely on Carpenter? I'm not at all confident in Hale as anything other than a long man. And as impressive as Jaime's arm undeniably is, it's too early to pencil him into the pecking order.

One more name that comes to mind: Chad Qualls. Cheap, eminently available, solid stuff, veteran with big game experience. Actually, I thought last year he was someone we might look at during the waiver trade period.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

Hawk (06-25-2014), Julio3000 (06-25-2014)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    I look for Toronto to add at least one starting pitcher. My money is on Jason Hammel.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    If the Phillies realize they're not going to win anything this year, I wonder if they'll make Bastardo available. I've always liked him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    If the Phillies realize they're not going to win anything this year, I wonder if they'll make Bastardo available. I've always liked him.
    No thanks. Loses control too much. Rather go after someone more established. Maybe we could turn him around.
    The Phillies should be selling right now, but Amaro is such a moron he thinks they might be able to compete. I hope to god they go out and try and buy a piece. Delay their inevitable rebuild one more year.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    No thanks. Loses control too much. Rather go after someone more established. Maybe we could turn him around.
    The Phillies should be selling right now, but Amaro is such a moron he thinks they might be able to compete. I hope to god they go out and try and buy a piece. Delay their inevitable rebuild one more year.
    As we just saw Bastardo can get too wild at times. No thanks.

This team does need a good LOOGY though and a bench bat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Lucky for us most of the teams who are likely to be sellers have some decent lefties in their pens. Should be a buyers market. The Rays have Ramos and McGee. The Astros have Sipp and Downs. The Cubs have Russell and Wright. The Diamondbacks have Perez and Thatcher. The Padres have Torres. The Rockies have Brothers and Morales.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Was looking at possible outfielders and a good fit I think would be Dexter Fowler of the Astros. He kind of had that Coors field stigma attached to him before this year but he is doing just fine in the AL with the Astros. He doesnt hit a lot of homers or steal a ton of bases but he does get on base. I cant think of a better idea than replacing BJ with a strong OBP guy who is a switch hitter that can solve our top of the batting order problems. Fowler literally gets on base 1 out of every 10 times up MORE than BJ. He can play center but Heyward would be much better so Fowler could go to a corner spot. I would love to see Heyward/Fowler/Freeman/Gattis/Justin/La Stella/CJ/Simmons. That lineup will score runs.

Fowler is a 1.5 year rental so I dont think it would cost the moon. I think Hale could be the centerpiece of the trade. He is a decent/young/cheap #4 starter. Maybe some more marginal prospect types that are close to the majors.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Probably wont happen, i'd take McGee from the Rays as the lefty.

Not sure what it would cost though.

If we can get a setup type, Benoit would be perfect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Dbacks sending Mcarthey to Nyy

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    McCarthy has a good arm. Yankees need pitching badly. Makes sense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    McCarthy has a good arm. Yankees need pitching badly. Makes sense.
    Yeah. I like this trade for the Yankees. Nuno is probably not going to amount to much.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Mike Gonzalez (former brave) looks to be available, he was granted his release from Nats minor league team. He was pitching pretty well in minors too. Would not cost a player to sign him and at least give him a try as a lefty out of the pen.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    I wouldn't trade Simmons just to get rid of Uggla. I would however use Simmons in a package deal to get a big fish like Price or Beltre.