Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The next time anyone...

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts

The next time anyone...

Suggests Alex Wood to the bullpen, they need fired on the spot. The young man was masterful tonight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    I wasn't a fan of the idea at first, but I'm just glad he's back now and should be good the rest of the year.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    We have problems, big ones but one has to wonder how much better our record would be over the last six weeks or so. I am betting 4 games or better.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    He was only moved to limit his innings. He pitched 139 2/3 innings last year. You would want something in the 170 range this year. To this point he's pitched 76 innings. With 85 games left that would leave him with 16-17 more starts in the regular season assuming he makes every one. Averaging 6 inngs per start would put him at 96-102 more innings in the regular season. That would max him out for the year. So I see the team limiting his starts still some the rest of the way. Take advantage of off days and the ability to restart the rotation at the ASB. I suspect he will get 14 more starts the rest of this season with the hopes of pitching in the playoffs to max his innings totals out.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

CJC (06-26-2014), Julio3000 (06-26-2014), The Chosen One (06-26-2014)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    We have problems, big ones but one has to wonder how much better our record would be over the last six weeks or so. I am betting 4 games or better.
    With our offensive problems I doubt it. He's pitched a ton of great games this year with nothing to show for it due to lack of runs.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    He was only moved to limit his innings. He pitched 139 2/3 innings last year. You would want something in the 170 range this year. To this point he's pitched 76 innings. With 85 games left that would leave him with 16-17 more starts in the regular season assuming he makes every one. Averaging 6 inngs per start would put him at 96-102 more innings in the regular season. That would max him out for the year. So I see the team limiting his starts still some the rest of the way. Take advantage of off days and the ability to restart the rotation at the ASB. I suspect he will get 14 more starts the rest of this season with the hopes of pitching in the playoffs to max his innings totals out.
    I am against limiting innings anyway. I think saving innings is just an action taken by teams to make it look like they are doing something about something they really can't do anything about in the first place. The problem is all those youth ball innings and they have already been pitched and can't be undone.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    I am against limiting innings anyway.
    I would agree to an extent, but in this case I take exception to the fact Alex has already had TJ once so I'm completely fine with the Braves taking whatever extra steps they find necessary to protect his arm.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I am against limiting innings anyway. I think saving innings is just an action taken by teams to make it look like they are doing something about something they really can't do anything about in the first place. The problem is all those youth ball innings and they have already been pitched and can't be undone.
    I keep seeing this thrown around recently. There really isn't a strong basis for this opinion. Players get injured all the time. Pitching simply isn't a natural motion, and some mechanics are simply harder on the arm than others. It's likely most of these same players would be looking at surgery regardless of how many innngs they pitched when they were 12. Also, if this were true, you would probably have seen a higher injury rate for Latino players since they play basically year round from the time they are old enough to walk.

Which is not to say that it couldn't be related. It certainly could be. But it just seems like people have been taking Dr. Andrews statement and lazily been throwing it around as fact.
    Last edited by Carp; 06-26-2014 at 03:45 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I doubt Medlen and Beachy pitched that many youth baseball innings. Not that such a small sample settles anything. The rash of TJ surgeries is the product of many factors, including random variation.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (06-26-2014)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Alex Wood is a trainwreck waiting to happen health wise, might as well enjoy him while he lasts .
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I doubt Medlen and Beachy pitched that many youth baseball innings. Not that such a small sample settles anything. The rash of TJ surgeries is the product of many factors, including random variation.
    In the case of those 2 it was mechanics. Medlen is short so had to compensate which added stress to his arm, Beachy did not generate much power from his legs so he was basically all arm.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    I think if TJ Is going to happen it's going to happen. But pushing someone from 130 innings to 200+ in a year is just asking for it to happen. You can't really stop TJ from happening. But you can sure make sure it happens due to overuse.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (06-26-2014)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I keep seeing this thrown around recently. There really isn't a strong basis for this opinion. Players get injured all the time. Pitching simply isn't a natural motion, and some mechanics are simply harder on the arm than others. It's likely most of these same players would be looking at surgery regardless of how many innngs they pitched when they were 12. Also, if this were true, you would probably have seen a higher injury rate for Latino players since they play basically year round from the time they are old enough to walk.

Which is not to say that it couldn't be related. It certainly could be. But it just seems like people have been taking Dr. Andrews statement and lazily been throwing it around as fact.
    Hang around a bunch of 11-12 year olds for long enough and you might feel differently. Three or four kids on my son's team playing elite or travel ball and subject to double innings pitching, catching too, and pitching competitively at times I was playing basketball or soccer. Kids are talked into believing they need to specialize year-round to be seen and get scholarships. It's become a rich kid's sport, too. These programs are routinely $1500-3000/yr. So you better believe they're max effort.

I think he's right on the money.
    Last edited by GovClintonTyree; 06-26-2014 at 07:43 AM.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (06-27-2014), Julio3000 (06-26-2014), UNCBlue012 (06-26-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Alex Wood is a trainwreck waiting to happen health wise, might as well enjoy him while he lasts .
    God, with the mechanics. Give it a rest, won't you? Next you'll be saying Medlen's short and Beachy's all arm with an inverted W.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    In the case of those 2 it was mechanics. Medlen is short so had to compensate which added stress to his arm, Beachy did not generate much power from his legs so he was basically all arm.
    Oops. Hadn't scrolled down far enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Suggests Alex Wood to the bullpen, they need fired on the spot. The young man was masterful tonight.
    Back to the original premise: I understand the idea, but it was like eating your vegetables. I'm just glad it's over now. He might be the best of the litter.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (06-26-2014)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    God, with the mechanics. Give it a rest, won't you? Next you'll be saying Medlen's short and Beachy's all arm with an inverted W.
    Hey, lay off of N Rotated 90 Deg Clockwise.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Hang around a bunch of 11-12 year olds for long enough and you might feel differently. Three or four kids on my son's team playing elite or travel ball and subject to double innings pitching, catching too, and pitching competitively at times I was playing basketball or soccer. Kids are talked into believing they need to specialize year-round to be seen and get scholarships. It's become a rich kid's sport, too. These programs are routinely $1500-3000/yr. So you better believe they're max effort.

I think he's right on the money.
    Didn't someone post an article from the sports medicine industry here a bit ago that purported this being the #1 problem? Seems I remember reading a link someone posted to that effect.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Well I agree that Wood should have never left the rotation. Who would he have replaced though? Harang or Floyd? Santana? No starting pitcher was pitching bad enough to get replaced. Harang has done what was expected from him..if not more. Floyd was pitching way over his head and Santana wasn't getting moved simply because of his price tag.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    What's even more sad is that if Floyd doesn't get injured, Wood probably doesn't get put back into the rotation for quite sometime. He may have pitched in the double header, but that's it.