Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Official It's Better for Everyone That Dan Uggla's Done Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    I know you don't think I know what I am talking about but I have never seen a Brave done like this. Hell he cut Glavine for goodness sake.
    Maybe they should have stopped playing more terrible players in the past then? If this is the first time a player that poor had stopped playing for a while, that's a problem.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomahawkCult View Post
    Someone with a better knowledge of roster business please chime in, but IIRC, when a player is DFA, he is no longer on the roster. Uggla was suspended, so he had to be on the roster, so DFA can't have started. The Uggla Endgame may have, but not DFA.
    I wasn't speaking in terms of him being released. I was speaking in terms of sending him somewhere to get at bats with no pressure. Hoping he would get straightened out a bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    I wasn't speaking in terms of him being released. I was speaking in terms of sending him somewhere to get at bats with no pressure. Hoping he would get straightened out a bit.
    Like where? He would never accept an assignment. I wish they got rid of him months ago, but as long as they're paying him it's their call.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

TomahawkCult (07-13-2014)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    As yeezus says above, he could refuse to be sent down due to his time served.
    Last edited by TomahawkCult; 07-13-2014 at 09:13 PM. Reason: I refer the Honourable Gentleman to the reply that was given some moments ago.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Maybe they should have stopped playing more terrible players in the past then? If this is the first time a player that poor had stopped playing for a while, that's a problem.
    Reggie Sanders, BJ Surhoff, Raul Mondesi, Brian Jordan 2nd stint all come to mind as players that fit that bill and all got better treatment than Uggs has gotten.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomahawkCult View Post
    As yeezus says above, he could refuse to be sent down due to his time served.
    And I assume that is what happened, but it must have been nasty behind closed doors because of the way he has been used.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Reggie Sanders, BJ Surhoff, Raul Mondesi, Brian Jordan 2nd stint all come to mind as players that fit that bill and all got better treatment than Uggs has gotten.
    Um, how so?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Um, how so?
    They were given a way out rather than pushed to the end of the bench and not used.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,763 Posts
    I think all of those guys made combined what Uggla makes this year.
    Forever Fredi

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    I think all of those guys made combined what Uggla makes this year.
    I get that but this has been odd to say the least.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,976 Posts
    As bad as all of those guys played in the stints relevant to this situation, none of them played as poorly as Uggla has since the middle of last season (Mondesi is very close). The other thing is that Sanders and Jordan could still play good defense.

Uggla is a one-tool player and he never was a very good fastball hitter. His plus in addition to his impressive power was that he could fight enough stuff off to draw walks and hit mistakes 400-plus feet. But when he could no longer hit average fastballs, there was no reason to throw him anything else.

But he plays one position (which he plays poorly) and he can't run. To have any value, he has to be a starter and it's obvious he's not a big-league starter anymore.

PS--There's very little difference between DFA and outright waivers in this instance. If they waive Uggla, he won't accept an assignment to Gwinnett if he clears waivers and as a result he'll simply be released. Given his salary, no one is going to claim him so the Braves will be on the hook for the remainder of his contract.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 07-13-2014 at 09:42 PM.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    They were given a way out rather than pushed to the end of the bench and not used.
    BJ was underwhelming but not the gaping vortex of suck that Uggla is. Sanders was given a chance to play through his struggles because of, if nothing else, lack of internal options. He was Uggla 2013-bad, which is less than half as bad as 2014 Uggla. Mondesi was signed for $1M and Jordan for $700K, so cutting them was not an issue, as it is with a guy who's owed $25M.

So, no, none of those situations were more than superficially comparable.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    And I assume that is what happened, but it must have been nasty behind closed doors because of the way he has been used.
    That process can't start until he's DFA.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    The facts seem to be that Uggla did not arrive at Saturday's game until about one hour before the first pitch. Don't know if he had an excuse, because he was not allowed to be at the park Sunday -- even though his jersey was still in his locker.

Good point someone made that he wasn't even in full uniform in the dugout recently (no jersey under his jacket). Fredi said he expected him to be back on Friday, but it's not Fredi's call -- and he tried to diplomatically point that out after the game Sunday. DOB has hinted that Liberty was more than a little aware of the bind his contract was putting the team in, but this is why businessmen should have little or no say in roster decisions.

Speaking of Liberty, I noticed where the Braves drafted three Colorado high school kids who had no shot of signing and may not have been real prospects. Did they throw a bone to some Liberty daddies?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    567 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tvsportscaster View Post
    I'm still not convinced Wren will admit his mistake and DFA Uggla, but for everyone concerned it's the right move. It's not fair to keep handicapping Fredi G with a 24-man roster. And its not fair to Dan, give him a chance to have a fresh start someone else.
    You know what Dan's #s were before the trade and extension?

In the 2010 season, the year prior before coming to Atlanta, Dan had the following #s..

Batting Avg: .287
    OBP: .369
    OPS: .508
    HRs: 33
    RBI: 105
    Runs: 100
    2B: 31

He avg around 30 to 33 HRs up to that season and was about a .265 to .270 hitter...and more importantly, he was a 2B...

Please tell me how in the hell was this a mistake trading and signing this guy to extension at the time this took place? You think Frank Wren could have foreseen the outcome of his tenure in Atlanta before all of this and signed him anyway? At the time this took place, he fulfilled a HUGE need for this ball club, POWER. I am just a little confused on how you and some others want to tag this as a "Wren Mistake" when Frank, the players, the fan base, and hell even Dan himself never saw this huge drop off coming. Come on man.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jsebe10 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (07-14-2014), yeezus (07-13-2014), zedsdead (07-14-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    NO ONE could see the Uggla-level drop-off coming. Maybe heavy decline, but not among the worst hitters in the league.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

jsebe10 (07-13-2014)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,976 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    The facts seem to be that Uggla did not arrive at Saturday's game until about one hour before the first pitch. Don't know if he had an excuse, because he was not allowed to be at the park Sunday -- even though his jersey was still in his locker.

Good point someone made that he wasn't even in full uniform in the dugout recently (no jersey under his jacket). Fredi said he expected him to be back on Friday, but it's not Fredi's call -- and he tried to diplomatically point that out after the game Sunday. DOB has hinted that Liberty was more than a little aware of the bind his contract was putting the team in, but this is why businessmen should have little or no say in roster decisions.

Speaking of Liberty, I noticed where the Braves drafted three Colorado high school kids who had no shot of signing and may not have been real prospects. Did they throw a bone to some Liberty daddies?
    Probably more of a bone thrown to the Colorado regional scout. All of those kids are signed to play college ball.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Poor Danny Uggla getting treated bad. Him and his millions will be in my prayers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    So is this the unofficial thread now?
    thank you weso1!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (07-14-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,997 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsebe10 View Post
    You know what Dan's #s were before the trade and extension?

In the 2010 season, the year prior before coming to Atlanta, Dan had the following #s..

Batting Avg: .287
    OBP: .369
    OPS: .508
    HRs: 33
    RBI: 105
    Runs: 100
    2B: 31

He avg around 30 to 33 HRs up to that season and was about a .265 to .270 hitter...and more importantly, he was a 2B...

Please tell me how in the hell was this a mistake trading and signing this guy to extension at the time this took place? You think Frank Wren could have foreseen the outcome of his tenure in Atlanta before all of this and signed him anyway? At the time this took place, he fulfilled a HUGE need for this ball club, POWER. I am just a little confused on how you and some others want to tag this as a "Wren Mistake" when Frank, the players, the fan base, and hell even Dan himself never saw this huge drop off coming. Come on man.

When this trade happened, I was so happy it wasn't even funny. I thought we were investing in a guy that could take our primarily contact driven team, add power and turn it into a true contender. Boy, he did not.