Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soccer Life After the World Cup... What to do now?

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts

Soccer Life After the World Cup... What to do now?

The final whistle blows. A new World Cup champion is crowned after today. For the last month, sports fanatics in the USA have been exposed to some of the World's best football, and thanks to our own Team USA, the Football Fever kicked into high gear with record breaking ratings and spurred many huge gatherings to watch games all over the country.

For those who follow soccer primarily during the world cup and are maybe interested in learning some more, Zeets and I here are here to tell you there's plenty of life after soccer.

You can go find yourself a club, either local or international.

• MLS is going to be aired weekly on ESPN and Fox Sports.

• NBC just won several awards for their coverage of this past season's Barclay's Premier League coverage. It was the first time US fans were allowed to get EPL coverage wall to wall (ESPN used to air one or two games a week) and it was absolutely fantastic. Very refreshing from the cliche American sports pre-game/post-game/half-time and daily coverage. Generally, NBC airs 3-4 games on a normal Saturday morning (EST here is going to be primetime there local). 7:45am game, a 9:45am game, a 12:45 game and sometimes a 2:30 game. Remember that Saturday's in England, are the equivalent to NFL Sunday's here. And Sunday's in England are sort of like Monday Night here. Sunday's usually have 2 games max but are generally marquee games featuring the topside squads in the league. During the midpoint of the season, the EPL schedule generally starts having games fall on a Tuesday-Thursday-Wednesday etc so some teams can play up to 3 games in a week's span. That's where the men are separated from the boys when the schedule gets brutal.

• Keep in mind there are also 2 other simultaneous single elimination tournaments going on during the EPL season that are independent of the EPL season. You have the FA Cup (Football Association) which comprises of teams from nearly all the leagues in England (the lower tiers which we consider minor leagues). You can see some of the big squads get knocked off by lesser known teams or neighborhood teams. You also have the League Cup which is historically known as the Carling Cup.

Here is a list of the current notable teams in the Premier League:

Manchester United aka Man U, United, Fergies Boys, Biggest Bandwagon in The World - The Cardinals of the BPL.

Zito says: Great team, big spenders, but living under a shadow of a great coach retired. Key players, Wayne Rooney (England), Nani (Portugal), Juan Mata (Spain) oh and they hate being called Man U

SAV says: Cunts, lots of winning in the last two decades and you can’t take that away from them. Alex Ferguson is the most successful manager in premier league history… can be seen as maybe the Phil Jackson of the EPL. Doesn’t disqualify the fact they’re cunts. They play at “Old Trafford”. Same owner as Tampa Bay Bucs.

--

Manchester City aka Man City, City, Etihads.-

Zito says: The Dodgers of the BPL. New money has gone wild bringing in big name players with constant big money transfers. Key players Vincent Kompany (Belgium), Sergio Aguero (Argentina), David Silva (Spain) and Yaya Toure (Ivory Coast).

SAV says: The Dodgers. New ownership a few years ago and they’ve been spending and buying championships. They’ve been the best team in Manchester the last few years. They play at the “Etihad Stadium”. They can score at will most of the time.

--

Chelsea - Josie's Boys

Zito Says: Yankees of the BPL. Spend big bucks all the time to compete, team you hate unless you love. Notable players, Cesc Fabregas (Spain), Eden Hazard (Belgium), and Oscar (Brazil)

SAV says: Not as big of cunts as Man U, but because Jose Mourinho is their manager, they’re slotted in that category as well. They’ve been big spenders for a decade now when they became relevant in EPL play yearly. They’ve had some notable players over the years, John Terry, Frank Lampard, Didier Drogba… for all you USMNT fans, our buddy Eden Hazard of Belgium plays for them.

--

Liverpool aka Pool

Zeets say: Pirates of the BPL. Used to be a storied Franchise, after years of toiling are seeming finding form. Notable players Luis "The Cannibal" Suarez (Transylvania), Steven Gerrard (England), and Daniel Sturridge (England)

SAV says: Pirates, Notre Dame. All of their glory days happened decades ago. The Cannibal is no longer with them, which is going to make them competing for the title next year a bit more difficult. The image of Suarez on his knees crying after choking a 3-0 lead to Crystal Palace which would’ve been a virtual clinch of the title still makes me giggle.

--
    Arsenal – The Gunners or native pronunciation of “Gooners”.

Zeets say: Phillies of the BPL. Were great some time ago, now fans hold lofty goals of what to expect Notable players Mesut Ozil (Germany) Jack Wilshere (England) and a cast of former players they were too cheap to retain (that they don't share with the Phillies)

SAV say: The natural team any Atlanta Braves fan should gravitate towards. Have always been fiscally sound since their current manager, Arsene Wenger, took over almost 2 decades ago. Model their organization more on player development and scouting over purchasing power like Man U or Chelsea. Have the ability to sign a great player but can have the reputation for being somewhat cheap. Built a new stadium in 2004, which the debt is almost done being paid off, which will give them even more purchasing power soon. Have always had a reputation for beautiful football on the pitch. Because they’re like the Braves with long-time organization stability and player development, they’ve also admittedly choked a bunch in the clutch… Finally won a trophy for the first time in almost a decade a few months ago. Wenger is the futbol version of our own Bobby Cox. A player’s manager that never badmouths his guys publicly even when they are underperforming. Player loyalty as well, sometimes giving weaker players too much playing time. He probably just signed his last new contract which will hopefully see him ride off into the sunset with some new trophies.

Everton -

Zeets says: A's of the BPL. Team that's seemingly always in the hunt despite comparatively low pay. Notable players, Timmy Howard (USA!) Leighton Baines (England) and Kevin Mirallas (Belgium)

SAV says: I’d agree. Our own Landycakes spent a few tours playing for Everton. Hard to root against them really… just a blue collar team.

Tottenham – aka Totten****, Spurs, Spuds.

Zeets says: Reds of the BPL. Always pretty good. Hovering around the top but never quite getting there. Notable players Hugo Lloris (France) Jan Vertonghen (Belgium), Paulinho (Brazil)

SAV says: This is gilesfan’s favorite team. Is there anything else to say? Oh their biggest rival is Arsenal, and pretty much everyone outside of Tottenham’s fanbase knows who owns North London. I’m trying to come up with an analogous American Pro Sports team to compare them to but all I can think of is feces.

We’ll ignore the rest of the BPL but there are lots of cool little clubs to root for further down the list: Newcastle, Aston Villa, Sunderland (Altidore’s current team), Fulham (Dempsey’s team that just got relegated).

---
    Other Notable European Clubs
    Barcelona [La Liga] - Big spenders with lots of big players. Messi (Argentina) Xavi (Spain) Iniesta (Spain) Neymar (Brazil), Ivan Rakitic (Croatia) and many many more. Just sold Alexis Sanchez to Arsenal, and bought Suarez from Liverpool.

Real Madrid [La Liga] - Biggest spenders. Ronaldo (Portugal), Luka Modric (Croatia), Xabi Alonso (Spain), Karim Benzema (France), Marcelo (Brazil), Gilesfan’s biggest ex-loverboy Gareth Bale, and more.

Paris Saint-Germain [Ligue 1]- The newest big spending team in the world. Notable players Edinson Cavani (Uruguay), David Luiz (Brazil), Thiago Silva (Brazil), and my one non-world cup participant as he's heavily talked about Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Sweden)

Bayern Munich [Bundesliga] - Big spending german club. Notable players Robben (Netherlands), Shaqiri (Swiss), Mario Gotze (Germany), Thomas Muller (Germany), Toni Kroos (Germany) and many more Germans.

Borussia Dortmund [Bundesliga] - Been fighting Bayern for top spot for quite some time. Not many players heavily featured in the World Cup. Only ones are Mats hummels (Germany) and Sokratis (Greece)

AC Milan [ Serie A ] - Notable players such as Balotelli, Kaka, etc.

----
    Forever Fredi

2. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Hawk (07-14-2014)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    UEFA Champions League

What is the Champions League? It's a competition of Europe's best teams that takes place throughout the club season, and the champions league final is generally the last European futbol match played on the calendar season.

Champions league takes the best teams from the Premier League, Liga, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, Serie A, etc. and puts them in a round robin format similar to world cup, except you're required to play a home and away series against each team set in your draw/group. Some leagues like the Premier and Liga get 4 automatic qualifying teams because of the strength of their leagues. The qualifications are based on last year's Top 4 teams in the standings, or Top 3 plus the Europa League winner. Europa is basically a similar style tournament that has the Top 5-6 teams from those leagues and they fight it out to make it to the Champions league. Manchester United's streak of playing in Champions League ended after they failed to make the Top 4 in the EPL or win the Champions League this past year.

Champions League matches take precedence over domestic and league cups on the schedule. Those matches get moved to a different opening in the week. This past year's Champion's League winner was Real Madrid, who beat Atletico Madrid... who beat Real a week previously to win the La Liga Title.

Champions League television rights are owned by FOX Sports in the USA. They've done an ok job broadcasting games live simultaneously on Fox Sports, Fox Sports 1, and Fox Sports 2. Coverage is meh, but it's better than nothing.

Keep in mind that domestic club leagues do not have playoffs for their regular season records. The single-elimination format tournaments are throughout the year and are independent of club/league results. The winner of the Liga, EPL, Sliga are all whomever is atop alone in the standings on the last day of the season.

Champions League is as close to playoffs as you are going to get unless you watch MLS.

Also, European Leagues use a "relegation" format. In the EPL, the bottom 3 teams on the table (standings), are relegated to the League Championship (which is the league tier below the Premier League). When those 3 teams are relegated, this year it's Cardiff City, Norwich, and Fulham, 3 new teams are promoted from the Championship to join the big boys. This helps ensure that teams aren't throwing away games at the end of the year, and that they fight to keep their spot in the premier league, because $$$. Imagine basically the Cleveland Browns being relegated to AFL/Arena/UFL until they earn their spot back in the NFL 32. Or the Bucks being relegated to the NBDL and an NBDL team is promoted to the NBA, etc.

Forever Fredi

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Small correction SAV, Kaka will be a member of OCSC. I'm guessing he'll stay in INter for the fall, but as of next February when OCSC opens their doors, Kaka will be joining Lampard as former European greats making their debut on MLS side.Though I heard he was being loaned to Sao Paolo to join another former intriguing Brazilian in Alexandre Pato.

Gilesfan feel free to add your opinions. This isn't exclusionary. Just something SAV wanted to work on and we did joint contributions.

I want to add though, if you have a local MLS team check them out. If you have a chance to see the US national team go. Soccer is cool on TV but it's awesome in person. I'd equate it to college sports fandom. It's much more active cheering than other US sports so it's probably not for everyone. But if I was still near civilization, I'd still be an American Outlaw that was fun. Only got to do one game with them but I thoroughly enjoyed it (USA/Mexico)
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

5. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

Hawk (07-14-2014)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    A Note from Zito on the USMNT:

I personally follow the USMNT players and the squads they play on.

So on that note. This is where some key US players play their games locally and internationally

Tim Howard (Everton)
    Brad Guzan (Aston Villa)
    Deandre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders)
    Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy)
    Matt Besler (Sporting KC)
    John Brooks (Hertha Berlin)
    Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt)
    Fabian Johnson (Borussia Monchengladbach)
    Michael Bradley (Toronto FC)
    Mix Diskerud (Rosenburg)
    Jermaine Jones (Bestikes)
    Julian Green (Bayern Munich, hoefully more on the senior squad this year)
    Graham Zusi (Sporting KC)
    Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders)
    Aron Johannson (AZ Alkmaar)
    Jozy Altidore (Sunderland)

Some US players not on the WC roster but could be next go around.

Bill Hamid (DC United)
    Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire)
    Cody Cropper (Southampton)
    Joe Corona (Tijuana)
    Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake)
    Brek Shea (Stoke City)
    Danny WIlliams (Reading)
    Josh Gatt (Molde)
    Terrance Boyd (RB Leipzig)
    Juan Agudelo (unattached, supposedly close to Steve Cherundolo's old team Hannover 96)
    Bobby Wood (1860 Munich)
    Jack Mcinerney (Montreal Impact)

And if we land Klinsmann's next target Zelalem, we add an Arsenal Youth to our squad.

Or if you don't want to follow that much. US has a handful of matches played every year in the friendlies. Klinsmann has done his work getting big name matches as well. We've gotten the Germans, Italians, Mexicans, and more. For other US competitions, we have the Gold Cup coming up next year, which if the US wins they'll get automatic birth into the COnfederations cup, which basically a mini-World CUp the year before the World Cup.

Also cannot recommend enough, go to a match. It's super fun, especially as a local supporter (aka sit in the US supporter section)
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Small correction SAV, Kaka will be a member of OCSC. I'm guessing he'll stay in INter for the fall, but as of next February when OCSC opens their doors, Kaka will be joining Lampard as former European greats making their debut on MLS side.Though I heard he was being loaned to Sao Paolo to join another former intriguing Brazilian in Alexandre Pato.

Gilesfan feel free to add your opinions. This isn't exclusionary. Just something SAV wanted to work on and we did joint contributions.

I want to add though, if you have a local MLS team check them out. If you have a chance to see the US national team go. Soccer is cool on TV but it's awesome in person. I'd equate it to college sports fandom. It's much more active cheering than other US sports so it's probably not for everyone. But if I was still near civilization, I'd still be an American Outlaw that was fun. Only got to do one game with them but I thoroughly enjoyed it (USA/Mexico)
    Forgot. I didn't read in a few weeks if Kaka was confirmed to go to Orlando, just read a rumor it was virtually a lock since the owner is Brazilian. I was just making up an AC Milan thing since YOU neglected to do so.
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Also another few notes:

Club football is generally higher quality than World Cup football. Teams have better chemistry as they play together for 8 months out of the year, and it's the best of the best, not best of a country. IMO the atmosphere of a big club match can rival if not be better than a world cup environment. The Arsenal-Man U, Arsenal-Tottenham matches have amazing atmosphere to it.

Common Vocabulary:

Fixtures = Schedule
    Table = Standings
    Draw = Tie
    On the Pitch = On the Field
    Manager = Head Coach+GM (Generally makes Personnel Moves)
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Also don't be daunted by the language. as someone on another message board I post on says arguing about pitch vs field is stupid and those who do it are usually hipster douches.

Also tomorrow night 10 PM Sounders/Timbers should be fantastic and will be on ESPN.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    I'm no hipster but I was pointing it out incase some people are confused when players or managers say it in interviews.

Besides the purist in me loves saying on the pitch for some reason.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    I'm no hipster but I was pointing it out incase some people are confused when players or managers say it in interviews.

Besides the purist in me loves saying on the pitch for some reason.
    I don't think the ones listed above are that difficult.

People like myself who played soccer growing up called it a field. Cause that's the American terminology. Like why we call it soccer not football. I call it field/pitch pretty indiscriminately. Field from growing up pitch from watching too much BPL.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (07-13-2014)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Following MLS is fun, but following Premier league is a must. Just so much coverage available in the US.

I would take time picking a squad. Just watch as many matches as you can and a team will fall to you.

Have some more thoughts later
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    I plan on going to some Union games now (MLS).
    And for the record calling it a pitch is cool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    I plan on going to some Union games now (MLS).
    And for the record calling it a pitch is cool.
    I have 2 friends who're Sons of Ben. Cool supporters group. Union just suck right now but that's the nice thing about soccer supporters usually show up no matter the record.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    I have 2 friends who're Sons of Ben. Cool supporters group. Union just suck right now but that's the nice thing about soccer supporters usually show up no matter the record.
    I also hear their stadium is really cool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    It is I only went once but really liked it. Don't know if it's changed but it used to be kinda sketchy there. May want to consider going by public tranny

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    My ex wife and eldest child threw a party on their World Cup win. When they party, they really party, heck my now wife wish she were there with them.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    My ex wife and eldest child threw a party on their World Cup win. When they party, they really party, heck my now wife wish she were there with them.
    Are you the father of Jermaine Jones?

Ummmm, is he from Germany and born in the late 80's to early 90's?

My daughter is on the World Cup reserve team, or in the NFL they call it "Practice Squad"
    Forever Fredi

20. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

zitothebrave (07-13-2014)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Early life[edit]

Jones grew up in Frankfurt-Bonames. His father is an African American U.S. Army soldier who was stationed in West Germany. As a child, Jones lived in Chicago, Illinois and Greenwood, Mississippi, before his parents divorced and he returned to Germany with his mother.[3]
    Forever Fredi

22. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (07-14-2014)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Great thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    It is I only went once but really liked it. Don't know if it's changed but it used to be kinda sketchy there. May want to consider going by public tranny
    I love trannies.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    I'm guessing everyone will go back to not giving a **** until about 2018.