Thread: MINORS FINAL 7/15: Kubitza's idol; Lipka, Thomas rehab A-OK

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

MINORS FINAL 7/15: Kubitza's idol; Lipka, Thomas rehab A-OK

Kubitza winning over fans with his superb 2014.

From MiLB.com
    Paul Goldschmidt is the reigning National League Most Valuable Player and a two-time All-Star. The Arizona first baseman isn't, however, the highest drafted player from Texas State University. That distinction belongs to former teammate Kyle Kubitza. The Mississippi Braves third baseman -- Atlanta's No. 9 prospect -- was taken in the third round of the 2011 Draft. Goldschmidt wasn't selected by Arizona until the eighth round in 2009.

"He should've gone a lot earlier," said Kubitza, a freshman when Goldschmidt was a junior. "If the scouts would've been with him every day, they would've been able to see just how good he was. I'm not surprised at all with what he's done."
    Now Kubitza is trying to work his way to the Major Leagues using Goldschmidt as an example of what it takes.
    "It was eye-opening to see how hard he worked and the way he prepared," Kubitza said. "He inspired me to follow the way he did things and to play the game right."
    The Braves obviously liked what they saw, and Kubitza has done nothing since to make them think they made a bad choice. The native of Texas has had some ups and downs, like most players. This has been a breakout season, though, for the left-handed hitter. Kubitza ranks in the Southern League's Top 10 in a majority of hitting categories, including batting average (.310), on-base percentage (.408), slugging (.480), OPS (.888), runs scored (52), doubles (24), triples (seven), total bases (141), walks (47) and steals (17). Impressive numbers indeed, especially considering he got off to a slow start that saw him hitting .221 at the end of April.
    For Kubitza, it was all about learning what his home ballpark would and wouldn't allow him to do. Trustmark Park is hardly a haven for power hitters.
    "Taking batting practice there can be humbling," Kubitza said. "At first, I was trying to hit home runs, and you just can't do that. It took me a while, but then I was able to make adjustments. Actually, I think it has made my swing more pure. You have to get hits any way you can."
    Kubitza, who turned 24 on July 15, has done just that. He has hit well over .300 each month since April and had a .357 average in the second half through 23 games.
    That, in part, is a carryover from his success in the Arizona Fall League, where Kubitza batted .305.
    "Hitting well there definitely was a confidence boost," he said. "You were facing pitchers with great stuff every game."
    Kubitza also got to work with John Moses, now his hitting coach at Mississippi.
    "That's been very helpful," he said.
    While Kubitza's homer total of four is down, his stolen base success is way up -- to 17. He hit 12 homers for Class A Advanced Lynchburg last season but was caught 16 times in 24 steal attempts.
    "No, it isn't a typo," said Kubitza, who's been caught just twice this season. "I wasn't comfortable last year. There was doubt in my mind. Now I have my confidence back."
    Kubitza's confidence at the plate has never wavered, nor has his ability to work the count.
    "I think I've always had a good eye," he said. "I learned the patient approach in college."
    Kubitza is still somewhat of a work in progress defensively, although he has a strong arm and soft hands.
    "I have to be more consistent," said Kubitza, who's made 20 errors.
    ------------

TUESDAY GAMES LINK

------------

CLASS AAA

Gwinnett, idle

CLASS AA

Mississippi, idle

ADVANCED CLASS A

Lynchburg, idle

CLASS A

Greenville 9, Rome 4

LP: Gil (5-5) 2 IP, 10 H, 5 ER, 0 BB, 0 K.
    Kreitemeier 2-4. (.350)
    Camargo 2-4, 2B, 3B, 2 R, RBI, BB.
    Chin 1-3, RBI.
    V. Reyes 1-5, RBI.

SHORT-SEASON

Danville, idle

GCL Blue Jays 6, GCL Braves 3

SP: Ian Thomas 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K.
    LP: Gonzalez () 3 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 1 BB, 3 K.
    Dettman 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K.
    Lipka 3-4, 2 2B, R.
    Didder 1-3, 3 RBIs.
    Albies 0-2, R, CS.
    Austin 0-2, 2 K. (C) (debut)
    Nevarez 1-2. (C) (.571)

DSL Blue Jays 2, DSL Braves 1

SP: Mejia 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 9 K. (0.86)
    LP: Laguna (1-3) 1.2 IP, 1 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 2 K.
    Willems 1-4, 2B, RBI.
    T. Josephina 0-3, R.

MOVES: P Cody Fassold from Miss. to Lynchburg; P Brady Feigl from Rome to Lynchburg.
    FA signee Cody Emmons assigned to Danville. Joseph Daris promoted from GCL to Danville.
    Last edited by rico43; 07-15-2014 at 09:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Nice outing from Mejia, wow

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Nice outing from Mejia, wow
    I wish they would bring the kid stateside now instead of letting him was blow out his arm in the DSL. It seems like all of the really good young pitchers that do well in the DSL end up having TJ or get injured once they come stateside Leon, Falcon, Caicedo the list goes on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    I wish they would bring the kid stateside now instead of letting him was blow out his arm in the DSL. It seems like all of the really good young pitchers that do well in the DSL end up having TJ or get injured once they come stateside Leon, Falcon, Caicedo the list goes on.
    Add Merejo and Otero to the list. We've had awful luck with promising young lefties signed on the international market hurting their arms. Some of the injuries happen in the Dominican Republic, some stateside. Hopefully Mejia breaks the jinx. He is doing extremely well in the DSL, especially considering he is our youngest player there.