Thread: Adoption is too pricey

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts

Adoption is too pricey

We are thinking of adopting and we can afford it but the price they are stating is ridiculous.

Options

African children is 30k or more, American mix are 20k, American black or white are 15k. Why is it that mix and black children are more?

WTF? I told the wife no at this point. She is up there in age even though my cousin at 42 had a very healthy boy but we do not want to take a chance on issues with a baby at her age.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,911 Posts
    It ran my buddy and his wife over 30k. Easily. You do get a tax credit I believe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    We are thinking of adopting and we can afford it but the price they are stating is ridiculous.

Options

African children is 30k or more, American mix are 20k, American black or white are 15k. Why is it that mix and black children are more?

WTF? I told the wife no at this point. She is up there in age even though my cousin at 42 had a very healthy boy but we do not want to take a chance on issues with a baby at her age.
    I feel like it should be pretty close to free if you are potential decent parents. Why is this not the case?
    thank you weso1!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (07-19-2014), goldfly (07-22-2014), Metaphysicist (07-20-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,911 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    I feel like it should be pretty close to free if you are potential decent parents. Why is this not the case?
    Cuz lawyers?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (07-19-2014)

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    441 Posts
    Why are African babies 2x the cost of American ones? Is it the cool thing to do or something?

How much are Asians? 2X Americans too? Wouldn't be shocked if Asians were the most expensive since they have the greatest upside and highest floor of all ethnicities in america
    Last edited by Krgrecw; 07-20-2014 at 01:01 AM.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory BlackwaterPark's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    This....also why not just adopt an American kid, always wondered why we seem to struggle to take care of our own and always want to take care of other countries while neglecting ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Why are African babies 2x the cost of American ones? Is it the cool thing to do or something?

How much are Asians? 2X Americans too? Wouldn't be shocked if Asians were the most expensive since they have the greatest upside and highest floor of all ethnicities in america

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    IMO it's safer, quicker, and less expensive to adopt domestically. There are fewer potential legal entanglements and fewer possible ethical concerns. Of course, I respect peoples' choices to do otherwise.

I've adopted twice, and I am pretty clear-headed about the fact that you'll run into people who are, if not unethical, at least more than willing to get their hands in the pockets of emotionally vulnerable people. If you decide to do it, just focus on the end result and not the money.

Like Tapate said, there is a significant tax credit which can be carried over for a couple of years. You can end up getting most if not all of your expenses covered that way.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (07-20-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    If I allow it, I will adopt a mixed baby because it is natural. We will talk about it more in the near future.

I have a room filled to the brim in toys I need to get rid of, any suggestions?

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    441 Posts
    If I allow it, I will adopt a mixed baby because it is natural. We will talk about it more in the near future.

I have a room filled to the brim in toys I need to get rid of, any suggestions?

Does your city/town have a 'for sale, wanted, or free' page on Facebook? I'd list it on that. It's a local deal and you can see the people post from Thier FB profile so it's not shady craigslist type deal.

Those 'FSWF' pages are popping up on Facebook. Like them better than blind selling on craigslist and backpage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    We talked about it again, right now, around 24k out of pocket that we cannot get back. I do not know why they make it hard for you to adopt even for overseas babies. We rather have domestic, but finding the child we want is really hard. There has to be a lot mix babies out there, but wanting between 30 to 40 k is ridiculous, what they hell are we paying for?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,911 Posts
    We talked about it again, right now, around 24k out of pocket that we cannot get back. I do not know why they make it hard for you to adopt even for overseas babies. We rather have domestic, but finding the child we want is really hard. There has to be a lot mix babies out there, but wanting between 30 to 40 k is ridiculous, what they hell are we paying for?
    Lawyers probably.

If it's already hard then take a deep breath. You haven't even started and the process can take a long long time. It can be very taxing.

I've been told Florida is a good state to adopt in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Her sister adopted a child 4 years ago and it cost them 35k and they got 17k back in taxes, but it took a year, which I heard is pretty good time wise, but since I am black and my wife is white, do you think it would take a longer time? I heard cases that they make it harder if you are a mix couple.

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    You could adopt from foster care.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    You could adopt from foster care.
    We want a baby, preferably less than a year old. Newborns would be better, but the price is astronomical right now, close to 50k.

We can provide a family for a child, but this is ****ing ridiculous making it almost impossible. And the crap they put you through is almost as worst.