Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    It is really tough to eat healthy and maintain a positive integer in your bank account.

Just a moderate exercise and eating a healthy diet can make a ton of difference though.
    It really isn't that expensive to eat healthy.

Eating healthy requires you to eat less portions anyways. You get more "value" eating bad because it just comes in bulk.
    Forever Fredi

2. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

keithlaw (07-22-2014)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    I buy a lot of fresh vegetables at a local produce store down the street from me. Big bundle of asparagus is $3.50, Brussels sprouts $2.50, avocados $1 each, peppers, potatoes, onions, etc. I try and get to the gym 3-4 times a week and do the typical things: chest, back, legs, shoulders and 20-25 minutes of cardio at the end. Squats are the worst but are unfortunately necessary so I make myself do them weekly. Legs in general suck. The other parts I enjoy a lot.

I've found the best way to control my weight is to not eat late at night. I eat dinner between 6 and 7 and don't eat any more after. I've also pretty much completely cut out snacking at work unless it's a banana or an apple. I don't really drink anything during the week except coffee and water. The weekend is a different story though.
    I have always heard that it's not advised to lift weights and do cardio on the same day. I don't think it's necessarily "bad" either though.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    It really isn't that expensive to eat healthy.

Eating healthy requires you to eat less portions anyways. You get more "value" eating bad because it just comes in bulk.
    Well I mean the healthier foods seem to be more expensive though.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    I have always heard that it's not advised to lift weights and do cardio on the same day. I don't think it's necessarily "bad" either though.
    Bullocks.

I've played 3-4 hours of tennis in the scorching heat, then 4-5 hours later lifted heavy.

Now would I play tennis that long, then do legs? Probably not.

---

Also, again healthy food is going to be a bit more expensive only because you don't feel like you're getting the value you get when you buy junk food. If healthy food were cheaper than junk food, then almost everyone would just buy the healthy food by default. People buy junk food because it's cheaper in bulk and you get more volume.

Eating healthy though, you don't eat as many portions of food you do with junk food. You eat one salad and that's it, you generally don't go for seconds. So financially it really isn't THAT expensive. The $6 tub of spinach I bought can make me 4-5 salads depending on how much I portion it. Throw in half of an avocado, a hard boiled egg, and some honey mustard dressing and I really didn't spend that much to eat one salad, and it will probably fill me up in 20 minutes just as junk food would.

Something interesting I read as to why people who try to convert to salads have a hard time doing it, is because when you eat bad, you usually eat a lot so you train your stomach to expand. When your stomach keeps eating, it acts as a muscle so it won't tap out and tell you it's full until you've stuffed it enough. You don't have to do that with salads but if you eat a decent sized salad, then wait 10 minutes you will no longer be hungry. The urge to keep stuffing until your stomach stops, is the big difference. Eventually your stomach will adapt to only having to process the salad instead of a huge plate of mac n cheese. You'll get full faster.
    Forever Fredi

6. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (07-23-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Bullocks.

I've played 3-4 hours of tennis in the scorching heat, then 4-5 hours later lifted heavy.

---
    Bro, do you even lift?
    Natural Immunity Croc

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Bro, do you even lift?
    Lift or get lifted.
    Forever Fredi

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Ran the same route today as I did yesterday. About 15 degrees warmer today too.

Clocked in at 10:20 which was better than yesterday.

Also I forgot to add yesterday. After I ran the 1.25 miles I walked about a quarter mile and then sprinted up this incline. It's about 320 feet and it's all up hill. Did that yesterday in 27 seconds and today was 25.56

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I don't lift, because I despise gyms.

30 miles cycling 4 times a week
    5K meters rowing each day (Concept2)
    60 full situps/ 20 pushups each day

Easy 3 mile walk each night.

My diet: no red meat, celebratory alcohol, lots of fresh fruits/vegetables.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

keithlaw (07-22-2014)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Total myth. Or as SAV meant to say Bollocks. Though there usually are in most exercise routines just cardio days.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Playing the Waiting Game keithlaw's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Total myth. Or as SAV meant to say Bollocks. Though there usually are in most exercise routines just cardio days.
    He was making a Deadwood allusion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    294 Posts
    That's cool man. I have never been a good distance runner. More of a speed guy I guess. Had a high 4.5 40 yard dash when I was 19. Unofficial of course.

I am probably good for 2 miles right now and I definitely couldn't give 100 percent either.

How are you getting ready for your 13 mile run?
    I'm using Hal Higdon's training plan. I'm also eating 3500 calories a day, with at least 150 g protein and 30 g fiber and as many veggies as I can shove down my pie hole. No beer though so its the worst diet

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    294 Posts
    Anyone watch any fitness youtube channels? I really like Scooby

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Bullocks.

---

Also, again healthy food is going to be a bit more expensive only because you don't feel like you're getting the value you get when you buy junk food. If healthy food were cheaper than junk food, then almost everyone would just buy the healthy food by default. People buy junk food because it's cheaper in bulk and you get more volume.

Eating healthy though, you don't eat as many portions of food you do with junk food. You eat one salad and that's it, you generally don't go for seconds. So financially it really isn't THAT expensive. The $6 tub of spinach I bought can make me 4-5 salads depending on how much I portion it. Throw in half of an avocado, a hard boiled egg, and some honey mustard dressing and I really didn't spend that much to eat one salad, and it will probably fill me up in 20 minutes just as junk food would.

Something interesting I read as to why people who try to convert to salads have a hard time doing it, is because when you eat bad, you usually eat a lot so you train your stomach to expand. When your stomach keeps eating, it acts as a muscle so it won't tap out and tell you it's full until you've stuffed it enough. You don't have to do that with salads but if you eat a decent sized salad, then wait 10 minutes you will no longer be hungry. The urge to keep stuffing until your stomach stops, is the big difference. Eventually your stomach will adapt to only having to process the salad instead of a huge plate of mac n cheese. You'll get full faster.
    One of your best posts ever in explaining something. I heard of this train of thought as well and it makes a lot of sense.

I do crave salad a lot and eat it almost daily but I am not losing weight because my body is trained to not to, so I have to trick it some how. So what I do is eat salad and take a walk immediately after, you will find yourself somewhat hungry but water afterwards is the great equalizer.

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keithlaw View Post
    I'm training for a half marathon. My goal is to finish in less than 1:40. After that I need to hit the weights because I've gotten too skinny.
    Still training or has the race passed? How'd it go?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    294 Posts
    Still training, had to take a 2 weeks off for a hurt knee so I doubt I'll hit my goal.

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    That's the downside to running. If you get through a year without injury, you're an exception to the rule.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    How do you prevent hurting your shins when you consistently run? That is the biggest obstacle I'm dealing with right now.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    How do you prevent hurting your shins when you consistently run? That is the biggest obstacle I'm dealing with right now.
    Getting shin splints?
    Do your shoes fit right/comfortably? Are they old?
    This happened to me when my shoes were getting worn down. Needed new ones.
    Also happened when my shoes were too small.
    Also make sure you're stretching after running.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    To echo what yeezus said. It makes a big difference on he type of shoe you have. Do you need arch support? Cushioned soles or anything like that. For all you know you could be running in a show that's not really for your foot.

Also shin splints at least for me were usually when I first started a run or a road march. I also only had issues when the pace was slow. Once I began to get a decent pace they went away. Not so much on a road march carrying 60 lbs of weight though.

My advice would be figure out what type of shoes you should be using and adjusting accordingly.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Absolutely agree about the stretching. It's very important AFTER a workout of some kind. Before hand it's reslly just about loosening up and circulating the blood throughout your body.