Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building an ACCEPTABLE offense

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Building an ACCEPTABLE offense

This offense has not even been streaky it's been bad way more then good. So what I want to know is over the offseason can Wren do anything so our offense is at least as good as it was last year? Removing BJ from the offense won't work because no one will take him off our hands so he's going to be here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    IDK maybe the Marlins will trade us Stanton for someone like Northcraft yeah? lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc03004 View Post
    This offense has not even been streaky it's been bad way more then good. So what I want to know is over the offseason can Wren do anything so our offense is at least as good as it was last year? Removing BJ from the offense won't work because no one will take him off our hands so he's going to be here.
    The "Uggla Model" potentially applies to center and third. What I mean by that is there are internal candidates that will soon give us the option of removing a player with a big contract from the lineup and in the process improving the team.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (07-27-2014)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I think you needs guy you can rely on. Right now that is really only FF, except vs the Marlins.

We would need to have someone in the Heyward, J Upton, Simmons, Gattis, La Stella step up. Heyward is going well now, but we need him to be a consistent force and to add some more power. JUp obviously is streaky. Simmons stepping up to the next level would be a big help. Gattis demonstrating he can be the hitter he was pre injury for the rest of the year and beyond. La Stella growing into some more doubles power.

I think you have to have 3 guys you can count on to be a consistent offense. With a 4 guy who is close when one of your top 3 is out or has the slump all players have.

We could really use one more high OBP guy. I guess your only spots are CF and 3B and we all know the issues. That is why we all love Peraza. IF, and we don't know he could, he could be a high OBP and steal machine it would change this offense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    I really fail to see how Justin "isn't stepping up." He's arguably our best hitter, including Freddie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    This all or nothing offense really looks bad when we aren't hitting for power when we do hit.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    It's just a really bad mix made worse by the underperformance of B.J. Upton. Freeman, Justin Upton, and Heyward make a solid trio, but after that, things get odd. La Stellla is what he is and that's a pretty good complementary player, but for him to have optimum value, guys around him have to play better. Chris Johnson has been better this month, but I don't think he's much of anything to get excited about. I like, but don't love, Gattis. I don't think Andrelton Simmons is ever going to be what I would call a good hitter (he surely isn't consistent).

I've said all along that this team isn't that toolsy when it comes to offense. Tools aren't everything, but I think they are more important than the level at which they are valued in the modern mindset.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    The offense has really suffered lately because Freeman has been terrible, and its not just vs the Marlins. Its pretty much negated the improvement in Justin. Those two just haven't been hot together.

Screw the offseason, we need to do something to salvage this year. I suggest going back to last year's model; Heyward in CF hitting first. Bj a 4th OF'r.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Best offensive player in April? Justin. May? Justin. June? Gattis. Justin had his first and only rough month. Best this month? Justin. Seems like he is stepping up fine.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-25-2014)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    The Justin hate is pretty pathetic. He's currently one of the 20 best offensive players in baseball.

If you want to find what's wrong with our offense this year, it's Chris Johnson, Bossman, and Uggla. Simmons we know we shouldn't expect much from.

Fredi needs to cut bait with his "hot" offense. Sure Bossman is hitting slightly better in his small sample at leadoff. But his slightly better is still the second worst hitter on the team, after Simmons at 2.

Our lineup should be (and I'm really tired of saying it) something along the lines of either

1. Jason
    2. Justin
    3. Freddie
    4. Gattis
    5. TLS
    6. Johnson
    7. Simmons
    8. Lossman

or

1. Heyward
    2. TLS
    3. Justin
    4. Freddie
    5. Gattis
    same last 3.

Not having our best hitters getting the most PA is a bad strategy.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

BremanFan88 (07-26-2014), Dalyn (07-25-2014), Heyward (07-26-2014), KB21 (07-26-2014), weso1 (07-25-2014)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    The Justin hate is pretty pathetic. He's currently one of the 20 best offensive players in baseball.

If you want to find what's wrong with our offense this year, it's Chris Johnson, Bossman, and Uggla. Simmons we know we shouldn't expect much from.

Fredi needs to cut bait with his "hot" offense. Sure Bossman is hitting slightly better in his small sample at leadoff. But his slightly better is still the second worst hitter on the team, after Simmons at 2.

Our lineup should be (and I'm really tired of saying it) something along the lines of either

1. Jason
    2. Justin
    3. Freddie
    4. Gattis
    5. TLS
    6. Johnson
    7. Simmons
    8. Lossman

or

1. Heyward
    2. TLS
    3. Justin
    4. Freddie
    5. Gattis
    same last 3.

Couldn't agree more. Fredi finally got TLS into the top 5, now he needs to get BJ out of the top 5. It won't make a huge difference, but it is such any easy fix it is ludicrous not to make it.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post

1. Jason
    2. Justin
    3. Freddie
    4. Gattis
    5. TLS
    6. Johnson
    7. Simmons
    8. Lossman

or

1. Heyward
    2. TLS
    3. Justin
    4. Freddie
    5. Gattis
    same last 3.

Yeah, this.

Justin is in the top 15 in the offensive categories that matter. We're getting exactly what we wanted from him—a RH power bat in the middle of the order. He's been no more inconsistent than Freddie has been. I swear, some folks don't even understand the base ball.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

BremanFan88 (07-26-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Yeah, this.

Justin is in the top 15 in the offensive categories that matter. We're getting exactly what we wanted from him—a RH power bat in the middle of the order. He's been no more inconsistent than Freddie has been. I swear, some folks don't even understand the base ball.
    Freddie Garcia understand how to make pitch . That count ?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (07-25-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I think we need to take the D-backs approach and go trade for some more hustle. It worked well for them.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    563 Posts
    With our obvious struggles on offense, how much longer can you keep a potential impact player in Paraza down in Mississippi?

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    This topic is not complete until we have the Fredi shrugging his shoulders gif and then followed up with this:

Fredi is being Fredi.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsebe10 View Post
    With our obvious struggles on offense, how much longer can you keep a potential impact player in Paraza down in Mississippi?
    he's really young. SSS in higher minors. Where do you play him? Moving La Stella to LF?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    563 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    he's really young. SSS in higher minors. Where do you play him? Moving La Stella to LF?
    And that's what's probably keeping him down, but his #s are off the charts too ignore.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Moving BJ to the bench would be a big help but I don't know if that's happening. We need someone to get on base and add some speed. Also, Justin is not a 2 hitter. La Stella should be in that spot for the next 5 years.

I'm curious what the front office's plan is for Peraza/La Stella. I wish we started testing him out in CF earlier so he could be an option this year. There's no doubt in my mind that if La Stella struggled then Peraza would at least be talked about in August/September.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I think the question maybe next year (and for sure in 2016) is Peraza v. La Stella. La Stella's a nice player, but he's not an impact guy. Peraza is a potential impact guy. I wouldn't be surprised if they try Peraza at another position (I don't think La Stella can play another position because they probably would have tried him somewhere else already). Just my thoughts.