Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

Fredi Voted 3rd Best NL Manager by other Managers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Would explain why the AL is so much better than the NL.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

goldfly (08-06-2014), jason27nc (08-05-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Good to see Bob Melvin getting some recognition. On the tools side surprised not to see Jason among the top defensive outfielders. Freddie is the #3 defensive first baseman. And no surprise about Simba getting the nod as best defensive SS and top infield arm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Good to see Bob Melvin getting some recognition. On the tools side surprised not to see Jason among the top defensive outfielders. Freddie is the #3 defensive first baseman. And no surprise about Simba getting the nod as best defensive SS and top infield arm.
    I watch Oakland play a lot and Melvin is really good. I think watching him so much is one of the reasons I get so frustrated with Fredi.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    And Young is unbelievable. Reminds me of Mazzone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    What. lol

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,325 Posts
    Fredi's 3rd? Whatever the other managers are smoking I want some of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    It's very hard to find a competent manager. Most people only watch their own team so they just assume that their manager is the only idiot. I know people want to rewrite the past but there were a lot of people who couldn't wait for Bobby to retire.

Fredi is trying to be Bobby Cox but the game has changed. At least how well we understand it has changed. Sadly as long as we don't hit rock bottom I don't think Fredi is going anywhere. He will probably be here for 20 years as we finish somewhere between 82 wins and losing in the NLDS. I said it before and I will say it again, they need to tell Fredi it's NLCS or he is fired. I bet if his job was on the line he wouldn't bat BJ leadoff.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    To paraphase Coach Parcells, you can't cook a stew w/o the right ingredients. This is not Fredi's fault, most of it belongs to Wren for overpaying Uggs and B.J and relying on Beachy to be part of the rotation and thereby overpaying for Santana. The easiest and quickest way to fix this is to get a bonafide leadoff hitter. Heyward is not an option for next year he belongs in the five hole and needs to stay there. Also Simmons was extended way too early and could have been used to have brought a haul back in return, same could be said for CK as well.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    To paraphase Coach Parcells, you can't cook a stew w/o the right ingredients. This is not Fredi's fault, most of it belongs to Wren for overpaying Uggs and B.J and relying on Beachy to be part of the rotation and thereby overpaying for Santana. The easiest and quickest way to fix this is to get a bonafide leadoff hitter. Heyward is not an option for next year he belongs in the five hole and needs to stay there. Also Simmons was extended way too early and could have been used to have brought a haul back in return, same could be said for CK as well.
    Right. Fredi's not the problem - our ****ty offense, with BJ as the prime offender, is the problem. I'd start Bonifacio the rest of the year and lead him off. He's had some good, long streaks in his career. Once they get his left side fixed. In the meantime, leadoff Heyward against righties. But just bench BJ. I've seen enough.

On Fredi, you know, everybody thinks their manager is a moron. Fredi's good. And we really don't know how tough he is in private. It's the Braves' way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Two spots too low, imo.
    thank you weso1!

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

BremanFan88 (08-05-2014), Carp (08-05-2014), Dalyn (08-05-2014), nsacpi (08-06-2014), The Chosen One (08-05-2014)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Simmons could still bring in a haul. Maybe even more so now that he's signed long term for a reasonable contract.

As much as I enjoy watching him play defense, I'd look around and see how many hitters he could bring back in a trade after the season. Great defense is a nice luxury to have when you have a competent offense.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Freddy is a lot like Bobby. He is not a very good tactical manager as we have seen other managers run circles around him (particularly his use of the bullpen), but that way always Bobby's weakness to. He is like Bobby in that he's a players manager, but I don't remember Bobby having such a young team that often? Maybe this team needs a manager that stresses the fundamentals more?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Two spots too low, imo.
    Yeah, but even 5th is a little low.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Signing Simmons was not a mistake in the least. He's still worth what he's making. He's still young and if his bat develops even a little more, he's an extremely valuable player.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-06-2014)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Signing Simmons was not a mistake in the least. He's still worth what he's making. He's still young and if his bat develops even a little more, he's an extremely valuable player.
    Simmons's contract is extremely team friendly. He's a 2-3 WAR player. Doesn't hit too much but is amazing with the Glove.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

20. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-06-2014)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Simmons is a whiz defensively but this team needs a shake up to get better quickly as in 2015. Freeman is not going anywhere and to make an impact and get impact players back Wren will have to trade one of these long term guys plus Justin or Heyward. If we could get a 2 for 4, I would do it. BTW, I don't think Heyward will go anywhere I suspect he will be extended in the off-season. The Braves just don't have many tradable pieces.

On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List PurpleBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    In Fredis defense he's trying to make chicken salad out of chicken sh--. This roster is constructed terribly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Simmons is a whiz defensively but this team needs a shake up to get better quickly as in 2015. Freeman is not going anywhere and to make an impact and get impact players back Wren will have to trade one of these long term guys plus Justin or Heyward. If we could get a 2 for 4, I would do it. BTW, I don't think Heyward will go anywhere I suspect he will be extended in the off-season. The Braves just don't have many tradable pieces.
    What? Don't have tradeable pieces? They have loads of tradeable pieces.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Personally, I just don't think Fredi has the ability to motivate the team. People loved playing for Bobby, but I've never heard a player say the same for Fredi. There is no reason why so many players should be underperforming. If you look at this years team hitting wise, it seems that nobody has taken a step forward towards their potential and most have declined or remained stagnant. To me, that's on the manager.