Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Milledgeville Pharmacist Refuses to Fill Prescription for Miscarriage Patient...

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

Milledgeville Pharmacist Refuses to Fill Prescription for Miscarriage Patient...

Story Published: Apr 10, 2015
    Story Updated: Apr 10, 2015
    MILLEDGEVILLE, Ga.-- Brittany Cartrett recently learned some bad news from her doctor about her pregnancy. She miscarried around five or six weeks along.

"So we made the decision to not do a D&C and to get a medicine. So he said I'm going to give you this medicine, you'll take it, and it will help you to pass naturally so that you don't have to go the more invasive route", said Brittany Cartrett.

The doctor's office called the Milledgeville Walmart to fill the prescription but they were told no and they were not given a reason.

"So we found another place to fill it but I still had to go up there to get another prescription so when I went up there she asked if I had any questions about this prescription I said no I don't but I do have a question about the other one. And she looks at my name and she says oh, well...I couldn't think of a valid reason why you would need this prescription", Cartrett said.

The drug in question is Misoprostol, which can also used to induce abortions.

WGXA's Chace Abrose spoke off camera to Wal-Mart pharmacist Sandip Patel who said he was aware of the situation and also said that pharmacists have the ability to turn down prescriptions at their own discretion.

Mercer University Law Professor Zac Buck verified that the ability to turn down prescriptions based on personal beliefs has been a law in Georgia for about 15 years.

WGXA also contacted Brian Nick at Walmart's corporate office who stated, "Our pharmacists fill prescriptions on a case by case basis every day in our stores throughout the country and we encourage them to exercise their professional judgment in doing so".

Cartrett said, "It's very frustrating because who is the pharmacist to make that decision. I understand that they go to school for a very long time for that job. They do a residency just like a doctor does, but I'm not going to see that pharmacist, I'm going to see a doctor and if its because of that due to the conscience clause I think its called, then what other decisions are they making based on our health and our needs by not giving a prescription to someone who may or may not need it".

Cartrett told WGXA since posting her story on social media she's had several people message her who were in similar situations, one of whom had to go to five different pharmacies before she could get her medication.

Mercer professor Zac Buck saID some states like Wisconsin have an addendum to the law that georgia does not have which encourages pharmacies to have pharmacists on call that will fill prescriptions when others at the same facility refuse.
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    Story Published: Apr 10, 2015
    Story Updated: Apr 10, 2015
    MILLEDGEVILLE, Ga.-- Brittany Cartrett recently learned some bad news from her doctor about her pregnancy. She miscarried around five or six weeks along.

"So we made the decision to not do a D&C and to get a medicine. So he said I'm going to give you this medicine, you'll take it, and it will help you to pass naturally so that you don't have to go the more invasive route", said Brittany Cartrett.

The doctor's office called the Milledgeville Walmart to fill the prescription but they were told no and they were not given a reason.

"So we found another place to fill it but I still had to go up there to get another prescription so when I went up there she asked if I had any questions about this prescription I said no I don't but I do have a question about the other one. And she looks at my name and she says oh, well...I couldn't think of a valid reason why you would need this prescription", Cartrett said.

The drug in question is Misoprostol, which can also used to induce abortions.

WGXA's Chace Abrose spoke off camera to Wal-Mart pharmacist Sandip Patel who said he was aware of the situation and also said that pharmacists have the ability to turn down prescriptions at their own discretion.

Mercer University Law Professor Zac Buck verified that the ability to turn down prescriptions based on personal beliefs has been a law in Georgia for about 15 years.

WGXA also contacted Brian Nick at Walmart's corporate office who stated, "Our pharmacists fill prescriptions on a case by case basis every day in our stores throughout the country and we encourage them to exercise their professional judgment in doing so".

Cartrett said, "It's very frustrating because who is the pharmacist to make that decision. I understand that they go to school for a very long time for that job. They do a residency just like a doctor does, but I'm not going to see that pharmacist, I'm going to see a doctor and if its because of that due to the conscience clause I think its called, then what other decisions are they making based on our health and our needs by not giving a prescription to someone who may or may not need it".

Cartrett told WGXA since posting her story on social media she's had several people message her who were in similar situations, one of whom had to go to five different pharmacies before she could get her medication.

Mercer professor Zac Buck saID some states like Wisconsin have an addendum to the law that georgia does not have which encourages pharmacies to have pharmacists on call that will fill prescriptions when others at the same facility refuse.
    I can see the pharmacists point of view. If a person is pregnant and they use this as an abortive method, they are participating in infanticide/murder. Now if the doctor phoned it in and give them a written note, the onus is not on them anymore and should give the prescription without hesitation.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    I can see the pharmacists point of view. If a person is pregnant and they use this as an abortive method, they are participating in infanticide/murder. Now if the doctor phoned it in and give them a written note, the onus is not on them anymore and should give the prescription without hesitation.
    I'm not OK with practitioners of medicine playing preacher. Would you want a doctor to refuse giving you a blood transfusion because they're a Jehovah's Witness? Would you want a pharmacist to not give psych meds because they're a scientologist?

I could go on, but when you work in the medical field, you have to do what's best for your patient, if you're anti-abortion, don't become a doctor/pharmacist if you can't deal with it. It's legal in this country.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I'm not OK with practitioners of medicine playing preacher. Would you want a doctor to refuse giving you a blood transfusion because they're a Jehovah's Witness? Would you want a pharmacist to not give psych meds because they're a scientologist?

I could go on, but when you work in the medical field, you have to do what's best for your patient, if you're anti-abortion, don't become a doctor/pharmacist if you can't deal with it. It's legal in this country.
    I assume this lady had a doc prescription and called in, then the pharmacists HAVE TO DO IT and the onus is not on them.

If they don't they should be fired because they were DIRECTED by the doctor to do it. The murder/infanticide is not on them, they were just doing what they were told.

Last time I heard this is restrictive medicine just like the Vicodin/Hydrocodone/morphine type family so there had to be both written and phone approval. In Wisconsin you have to have both.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    A pharmacist in at least some states doesn't have to fill a prescription. My sister in law told a tale of a doctor prescribing a large quantity of painkillers, much more than you'd ever see prescribed. She didn't just blindly fill the order. Turns out the doctor wasn't on th eup and up and without questioning him she could have been taken down with him.

The prescription or not, abortion is legal in this country, you as a medical professional have to provide that service, when legit medical professionals don't provide that service, sketchy back alley places do and we're all worse for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    A pharmacist in at least some states doesn't have to fill a prescription. My sister in law told a tale of a doctor prescribing a large quantity of painkillers, much more than you'd ever see prescribed. She didn't just blindly fill the order. Turns out the doctor wasn't on th eup and up and without questioning him she could have been taken down with him.

The prescription or not, abortion is legal in this country, you as a medical professional have to provide that service, when legit medical professionals don't provide that service, sketchy back alley places do and we're all worse for it.
    So you are one week away from having birth and you ask for the medicine to abort it and it is full term you think that is okay?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    So you are one week away from having birth and you ask for the medicine to abort it and it is full term you think that is okay?
    this question shouldn't be taken seriously
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Why is that? He said abortion is legal, did he not?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    States have laws stating what kind of abortions are legal or not. I'm assuming that drug (don't know, not a pharmacist) only works at a certain point in the pregnancy, so your point is moot. Abortion as a whole is legal, states dictate what types are legal. This woman was in the first trimester, when no state has laws against (because they'd be overthrown by the SC) so whether she was getting an abortion or had a miscarriage, it doesn't god damned matter. If you have a medical reason not to prescribe it, (total hypothetical scenario) like say this drug is only effective in the first 4 months and you find out she's 6 months along and the drug would be severely harmful to the baby and the mother, that's one thing. But to not do it on moral grounds is despicable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Why is that? He said abortion is legal, did he not?
    don't play coy

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I'm assuming that drug (don't know, not a pharmacist) only works at a certain point in the pregnancy
    This assumption deflates your entire argument.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Exactly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    don't play coy
    Don't create a thread like this when it is quite apparent what he is attacking.

The fact he doesn't think a doctor should have to prescribe it in so many words (point of my argument). Women can get mad and kill their baby to be spiteful.

As for his comments about having them in alleys, let them, they made that choice opening their legs and made that choice using coat hangers, if they want to take that route, I applaud them, one less idiot we have to deal with.

The doc said it was okay, the pharmacist should do it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    No, because the pharmacist rejected on moral grounds. I would imagine this issue is a bigger problem in the south than in other parts of the country.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts

I love when I give an unrelated example/analogy - you and others freak out that it's not comparable... And here you are...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (04-14-2015)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    No, because the pharmacist rejected on moral grounds.
    That's your interpretation of events. It doesn't say that anywhere in the article.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I love when I give an unrelated example/analogy - you and others freak out that it's not comparable... And here you are...
    Because your analogies are horrific and unrelated. I'm talking about a medical practitioner refusing a medical procedure based on religious beliefs, whether they make sense or not. Your comparisons are never similar. They're just concocted in your head as making sense because they touch liberal topics. I stayed on point, and continued with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    That's your interpretation of events. It doesn't say that anywhere in the article.
    OK why else would a woman in her first trimester be refused service for needing a drug that can sometimes be used to induce abortions? Misoprostol is also only effective in the first 8 weeks of gestation so there's no legal ground to stand on either. So yeah.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Misoprostol is also only effective in the first 8 weeks of gestation so there's no legal ground to stand on either. So yeah.
    Stop making **** up:

https://www.womenonwaves.org/en/page...se-misoprostol
    http://humupd.oxfordjournals.org/content/13/1/37.full
    http://www.legal-abortion-by-pill-cl...soprostol.html

Misoprostol may be used alone to terminate pregnancies; however, it is not as effective as when used in combination with RU 486, Methotrexate, or Tamoxifen. There are several regimens and dosages used to terminate pregnancies using Misoprostol alone. The success rate depends on the length of the pregnancy as there is nearly a 100% completion of abortion for patients less than 6 weeks gestation. For pregnancies less than or equal to 16 weeks gestation, the success rate is 85 to 90%. For patients 17 weeks or greater, the rate is 92 to 96% successful.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Because your analogies are horrific and unrelated. I'm talking about a medical practitioner refusing a medical procedure based on religious beliefs, whether they make sense or not. Your comparisons are never similar. They're just concocted in your head as making sense because they touch liberal topics. I stayed on point, and continued with it.
    lol ok guy

stay consistent