Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: County will not pay medical bills for toddler hurt in Habersham raid...

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

County will not pay medical bills for toddler hurt in Habersham raid...

HABERSHAM COUNTY, Ga. —
    Habersham County officials say they do not plan to pay for the medical expenses of a toddler seriously injured during a police raid.
    Bounkham Phonesavah, affectionately known as "Baby Boo Boo," spent weeks in a burn unit after a SWAT team's flash grenade exploded near his face. The toddler was just 19-months-old and asleep in the early morning hours of May 28. SWAT officers threw the device into his home while executing a search warrant for a drug suspect.
    Habersham County officials are defending their decision not to pay, but the child's family isn't giving up.
    After weeks of recovery at two different hospitals, Channel 2 Action News was there in July as the little boy walked out of a hospital with his family.
    He is doing better, but late Friday afternoon, his family's attorney told said the family’s medical bills are mounting.

“But at this point, the county is refusing to pay,” said attorney Muwali Davis.

Habersham County’s attorney provided the following statement, saying: "The question before the board was whether it is legally permitted to pay these expenses. After consideration of this question following advice of counsel, the board of commissioners has concluded that it would be in violation of the law for it to do so."

The attorney for Boo Boo’s family insists that is not good enough.
    The Phonesavahs' attorney also says an independent investigation showed authorities used faulty information to get a search warrant.
    In June, Habersham County's sheriff said a confidential informant told them he had bought drugs at the home. But they didn't think any children lived there.
    The SWAT team did not find the person it was looking for in the home. An investigation is underway into the handling of the case. Meanwhile, Boo Boo and his family have moved back to Wisconsin. Supporters are planning a fundraiser for him in August.

http://m.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/l...dler-hu/ng3s9/

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    That baby shouldn't have been associating with people who might have been associated with people who might have sold drugs in that house.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

zitothebrave (08-18-2014)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Im not sure why the County would pay for that. The dude was dealing drugs out of the house.

"Terrell told CNN affiliate WXIA, and while the family members were aware of drug activity in the home, "they kept the children out of sight in a different room while any of these going-ons were happening."

Oh, that makes it better.

Apparently these scumbags played the pack in play against the front door to prevent anyone from coming in.....why would anyone do that?
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Im not sure why the County would pay for that. The dude was dealing drugs out of the house.

"Terrell told CNN affiliate WXIA, and while the family members were aware of drug activity in the home, "they kept the children out of sight in a different room while any of these going-ons were happening."

Apparently these scumbags played the pack in play against the front door to prevent anyone from coming in.....why would anyone do that?
    really?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

wow

just another casualty to a stupid war on americans that can never be won

and giles is fine with toddlers being hit with flashbang grenades

think we have hit a new low

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    What do you guys think police should do when arresting criminals?

If a criminal has a child, they aren't allowed to be arrested?

THey have to go by the best information they have. Dangerous guy (with weapons convictions) dealing drugs out of the house. Informant claimed no kids in house. THe officers obviously feel bad about it, but there is nothing they can do.

Where is the outrage of a guy dealing drugs out of a house while kids are around? Why is there no blame on him?

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    That is what this world has come to. The outrage isn't over the dude putting kids at risk by dealing drugs out of the house and barricading the front door with a playpen. I guess the person to blame for this mess doesn't get blamed.

If I drive recklessly with my child in the car with no car seat and get in an accident, who is to blame if my child is hurt? Why would the other person have to pay the medical bills?
    Last edited by gilesfan; 08-18-2014 at 04:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    What do you guys think police should do when arresting criminals?

If a criminal has a child, they aren't allowed to be arrested?

THey have to go by the best information they have. Dangerous guy (with weapons convictions) dealing drugs out of the house. Informant claimed no kids in house. THe officers obviously feel bad about it, but there is nothing they can do.

Where is the outrage of a guy dealing drugs out of a house while kids are around? Why is there no blame on him?
    Outrage is assumed, hurting a child is not. The informant fvcked up, plain and simple. Dealing with drug dealers can be done in other ways. You can put on surveillance waiting for them to leave.

Incompetence is what I see.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    Outrage is assumed, hurting a child is not. The informant fvcked up, plain and simple. Dealing with drug dealers can be done in other ways. You can put on surveillance waiting for them to leave.

Incompetence is what I see.
    How do you know they didn't do surveillance on the house? How long should surveillance last?

More importantly, why should the COunty pay for medical bills due to a dude dealing drugs out of his house? Should they pay any damage to his house as well? What about if there is a 25 year old lady that claims emotional distress, pay for her bills as well?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Why does everything have to be blame??

Seriously, both here and on the baseball board --- a kid got hurt and posters here are more concerned with who is to blame for the child being injured than the care of the child. Then justify why the child should not get public care

Baseball board same thing -- pitcher throws a good pitch opponent hits pitch -- instead of talking about what a good play the opponent made posters only want to talk about who is to blame for the hit. (Fredi or BJ)

We could go on about Obama-- but, that was pretty well summed up on Louis last season.

every time the debacle of Iraq comes up some poster is quick to point out (wrongly in fact) Bush wasn't to "blame" because (D) voted for war.

Use blame to deny people basic health care. didn't we have a discussion about mirrors earlier today?

////

The stance by some on this topic is despicable. We are talking about an infant. But hey, (D) voted to bomb innocents so it's all good

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post

Seriously, both here and on the baseball board --- a kid got hurt and posters here are more concerned with who is to blame for the child being injured than the care of the child. Then justify why the child should not get public care

Baseball board same thing -- pitcher throws a good pitch opponent hits pitch -- instead of talking about what a good play the opponent made posters only want to talk about who is to blame for the hit. (Fredi or BJ)

We could go on about Obama-- but, that was pretty well summed up on Louis last season.

every time the debacle of Iraq comes up some poster is quick to point out (wrongly in fact) Bush wasn't to "blame" because (D) voted for war.

Use blame to deny people basic health care. didn't we have a discussion about mirrors earlier today?

////

The stance by some on this topic is despicable. We are talking about an infant. But hey, (D) voted to bomb innocents so it's all good

The child is taken care of, a hospital does not turn down caring for anyone. That child will not get any less care from the hospital. The question is why the County should pay for it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Because the county is made up of human beings .

maybe

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Because the county is made up of human beings .

maybe

And I'm sure we are the ones paying the kids medical bills.

If a parent isn't watching their kid and they gets hurt crossing the street, should the County pay the kids medical bills because we are compassionate humans?

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    War on drugs continues to be a raving success… Land of the free!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Incompetence of the cops continue............................

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts

If a parent isn't watching their kid and they gets hurt crossing the street, should the County pay the kids medical bills because we are compassionate humans?
    really?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

is it 2 AM and we are in a dorm room eating pizza and playing what if?

But to humor you, should we get to a universal health care system like the rest of the first world , this is not an issue. If I recall correctly you oppose that on the grounds of blaming those that get sick and don't have good jobs - persoanl responsibility or accountability or one of those Bill O'Reilly words/phrases -- bumper stickers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    The child is taken care of, a hospital does not turn down caring for anyone. That child will not get any less care from the hospital. The question is why the County should pay for it?
    We all going to pay for it. Dealer is going to jail. Last I heard, you don't make any money while in jail. LMAO!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    no doubt

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

////

i will tell you who is at fault and we don't need to debate it

the US Federal Gov't has the most blood on its hands cause they keep the drug war and military industrial complex going