Thread: MINORS FINALS 8/22: Pennant races; JoeT sets record; Braves sign lefty

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

MINORS FINALS 8/22: Pennant races; JoeT sets record; Braves sign lefty

IN THE SOUTHERN LEAGUE...

With a three-game winning streak in pocket, Mississippi has a one-game lead on Jacksonville, two on Mobile with 10 games left in the SL season.
    They return home for five games with Birmingham before wrapping the season with the final five games ever(?) in Huntsville, which moves to Biloxi next season.

IN THE CAROLINA LEAGUE...

Lynchburg has bitten the big one, losing seven straight to fall six games back of Potomac, which has won six straight -- the last three over Lynchburg. Last night's rainout between the teams will not be made up.

IN THE APPY LEAGUE...

Despite losing four straight, Danville is just one-half game behind Princeton, which has won its last three. Pulaski is just one-half game behind the D-Braves after having swept their DH earlier this week. But this should be fun: after two more games with troublesome Johnson City (ending their home season), Danville and host Princeton meet for four games, including a makeup DH on Sunday. After that, Danville wraps the regular season with three at Bristol.
    -----------------
    JoeyT's homer barrage has set a Gwinnett franchise record. This from MiLB.com:

"I've just been trying to see the ball well," Terdoslavich said. "I've been having good at-bats. The last two weeks, I've been swinging the bat well, starting to get under a few balls. I always think of home runs as mistakes. I've had some mistakes at the plate, just trying to have good at-bats, trying to end the season strong."

When pressed to elaborate on the noun he uses to describe hitting homers, the big league veteran explained further.

"I'm just trying to hit a ball hard somewhere and sometimes the ball gets over the fence," he said. "My whole thing when I get in the box is to try to get a good pitch to hit and try to hit it hard. I've gotten under a few lately, and it's worked out."

Thursday's blast, Terdoslavich's 14th of the year, established a new franchise record for most consecutive games with a home run.

"I know I can hit," he said. "It's just a matter of not trying to do too much and putting it all together. I'm just focusing on having good at-bats and not worrying about the results."
    ---------------
    ANOTHER FREE AGENT SIGNING! LHP Sean Bierman ....

Rockland Boulders starting pitcher Sean Bierman of Kinnelon was signed by the Atlanta Braves organization Thursday.
    One of the most productive pitchers in the Can-Am League, Bierman ends his time in Rockland with an 8-6 record and a 2.44 earned-run average.
    His ERA is tops in the league, while the eight wins are second only to teammate Richard Salazar and Quebec's Shawn Sanford. A 6-foot-1 southpaw, Bierman also led the league with four complete games, ranked second in innings pitched (114 1/3) and 10th in strikeouts (63).
    Representing the Boulders in the American Association All-Star Game, Bierman pitched a perfect inning July 29, helping the South All-Stars to a 7-0 win.
    Bierman began this season in the White Sox system, reaching as high as Advanced-A Winston-Salem (N.C) before joining Rockland in May. He was drafted by the Tampa Bay Rays in 2012 before joining the White Sox farm system.

----------------
    FRIDAY BOXES LINK

---------------

CLASS AAA

Durham 5, Gwinnett 2

LP: C. Martin (6-8) 5.1 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 4 BB, 8 K.
    Constanza 1-5.
    Cunningham 1-3, 2 SB.
    Boggs 2-4, 3B.
    Terdoslavich 0-3, BB.

CLASS AA

Mississippi 3, Birmingham 2

SP: Hursh 6 IP, 9 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 4 K.
    Graham 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K.
    WP: R. Kelly (2-2) 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K.
    Nunez 2-3. 2 R, HR (1st), RBI, SB.
    Hunter 2-4, R.
    Kleinknecht 1-3, 2B, RBI.

ADVANCED CLASS A

Myrtle Beach 8, Lynchburg 2

LP: J. Miller (8-9) 3.2 IP, 5 H, 4 ER, 3 BB, 2 K.\
    Cabrera 0 IP, 1 H, 4 ER, 3 BB, 0 K.
    E. Garcia 1-3, R.
    Blrown 2-3, 2B, RBI.
    Hyams 2-4, 2 2B, R.

CLASS A

Rome 9, Charleston 2

SP: Cordero 3.2 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 3 K.
    WP: Bierman (1-0)* 5.1 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K. (Braves debut; see above)
    Meneses 2-5, 2B, R.
    C. Sanchez 1-4, R, 3 RBIs.
    Lien 1-5, 3B, R, 2 RBIs.
    C. Franco 1-5, RBI.
    McElroy 2-4, R, RBI.
    Livesay 3-4, R, RBI.

SHORT-SEASON

GCL Astros 5, GCL Braves 4

LP: Fulenchek (0-7) 3 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 2 K.
    Osnowitz 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K.
    Gaylor 3-5, R, SB.
    Dykstra 3-5, 2 2B, R, RBI.
    Estevez 1-4, 2B.

Johnson City 3, Danville 2

SP: Ubiera 6 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 6 K.
    LP: Roney (2-3) 1 IP, 1 H, 0 ER(1R), 1 BB, 1 K.
    Obregon 2-4, R.
    Murphy 1-4, RBI.
    Edgerton 1-3, BB.
    Albies 1-4.

DSL Braves @ DSL Brewers, ppd.

MOVES: As mentioned in yesterday's thread, Sean Godfrey has been promoted to Lynchburg. Taking his place is Cody Livesay, up from GCL. Pitcher Daniel Cordero has also been moved to Rome from Danville.
    Swanner on Rome DL with elbow tendinitis.
    Last edited by rico43; 08-22-2014 at 10:05 PM.