Thread: 721Minors Thread: Mejias Breaks Gwinnett Home Run Recprdddw

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

721Minors Thread: Mejias Breaks Gwinnett Home Run Recprdddw

The Gwinnett Braves (44-57) continued an ideal start to their post All-Star Break schedule on Saturday night, taking their third-straight game over the Indianapolis Indians (61-41) with a 2-0 win at Coolray Field. Ernesto Mejia blasted his team record 26th home run of the season, and five G-Braves' pitchers combined on a seven-hit shutout.

Right-hander David Hale (W, 4-5) was sharp, tossing 5.0 scoreless innings, scattering three hits, walking three and striking out a pair. The Marietta, GA native is 3-2 with a 1.12 ERA (5 ER in 40.1 IP) in his last seven starts, and has fully recovered from an early-season shoulder injury.

"I'm throwing my sinker with more conviction," said Hale about his last seven outings. "It's good to be back after that injury. I'm getting back in the groove of things."

In the bottom of the fourth inning, the G-Braves' offense found its groove. Brandon Boggs singled to start the inning and Mejia blasted a 0-1 offering from Brandon Cumpton over the left field fence, giving Gwinnett a 2-0 lead. Mejia's International League lead-tying 26th homer of the year set a new a single-season record for a G-Braves player, passing teammate Stefan Gartrell, who hit 25 as a member of the club in 2011.

"Honestly, I didn't know," said Mejia about breaking the homer run mark. "Obviously, I'm very excited. I never expected it. I think it shows by the work that is put in on a daily basis."

With a two-run lead in hand, the G-Braves' bullpen went to work. Juan Cedeno, Mark Lamm, Wirfin Obispo, and Cory Rasmus combined to work four scoreless frames to finish off the Indians. Cedeno went 1.1 innings, collecting his team-leading 12th hold, while Lamm and Obispo recorded their second and sixth holds, respectively. Rasmus (S, 12) came on in the ninth with the tying run at the plate and set down Alex Presley on strikes, securing Gwinnett's eighth shutout win.

Cumpton (L, 4-6) hurled 5.0 solid innings of relief, but took the loss as the fourth-inning home run cost him the game. He allowed three hits, walked one and struck out five.

Boggs and Mejia paced the G-Braves' offense, as they each picked up two hits on the night. Boggs went 2-for-3 with a run scored, while Mejia raised his team-leading RBI total to 69 with a 2-for-3 performance.
    ------------
    Other roster moves of the weekend. Juan Jaime gets off the Mississippi DL and Chasen Shreve sent back down to Lynchburg; ... Pitcher Tyler Brosius moved to Danville from GCL Braves. ... Blake Brown, outfielder, from Rome to Danville.
    ------------
    Seccond baseman Gerald Chin and international piutcher of mystery Felix Falcon have been named DSL all-stars. Falcon is tied for the league lead wih six wins.
    --------------
    SUNDAY'S SCORES

CLASS AAA
    Indianapolis 2, Gwinnett (44-58) 1 (8)

LP: Poveda (5-6) 6 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 7 K
    Carrithers 2-4, RBI; Leonard 2-3, R; Gosselin 1-4..

CLASS AA

Mississippi (13-15) @ Jackson, ppd.

ADVANCED CLASS A

Lynchburg (9-17) 3, Myrtle Beach 1

WP: W. Perez (2-0) 6 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 8 K.
    C. Perez (Save, 1) 3 IP 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K.
    McGill 2-3, 2B, R, 2 RBI, SB; E. Reyes 1-3, RBI; Hyams 1-3, 2B; Moses 2-4, R; Elander 1-2.

CLASS A

Rome (11-18) 3, Lakewood 2
    Meneses walk-off RBI 1B

SP: Cabrera 6 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 5 K.
    WP: Simmons (1-1) 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K.
    Wren 1-4, R, SB; Peraza 1-4, SB (41); Franco 1-3, 2B; Meneses 1-4, RBI; E. Garcia 1-3,. 2 RBI.

SHORT-SEASON

Danville (15-13) 5, Elizabethton 4

SP: Ubiera 5 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 6 K.
    WP: Brosius (1-0) 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 1 K.
    Reynolds 2-4, 2B, R, SB; Sanchez 1-4, 2B, 2 RBI; Piloto 1-4, R, RBI; Camargo 1-5, SB; Caratini 1-3, 2 R, HR (1st), RBI.
    Last edited by rico43; 07-21-2013 at 08:44 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (07-21-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    What is going on with Williams Perez in Lynchburg. He has pitched great his first two starts after his promotion.

Anyone know what kind of stuff he has?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Cabrera with a solid start. I wonder when they are going to shut him down. Has to be soon.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    What is going on with Williams Perez in Lynchburg. He has pitched great his first two starts after his promotion.

Anyone know what kind of stuff he has?
    When I saw him he was 90-91 and touched 94 twice with the FB it was fairly straight though, he threw some very nice CU that came in around 82-83 and he threw a slurve that was very erratic that came in round 86. I only saw him once and he was decent when I saw him nothing special.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Cabrera with a solid start. I wonder when they are going to shut him down. Has to be soon.
    He reminds me so much of Feliz when I saw him several years ago. Power FB 94-96 with ease hit 99 several times even late in the game but he has poor command of it. His curve has the makings of a plus pitch but the hitters were sitting on it cause he couldn't throw his FB for strikes. He threw one at 85 that buckled one hitters knees for the K. His CU is just a show pitch right now, he threw maybe 4 that I can remember not one for a strike.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    He reminds me so much of Feliz when I saw him several years ago. Power FB 94-96 with ease hit 99 several times even late in the game but he has poor command of it. His curve has the makings of a plus pitch but the hitters were sitting on it cause he couldn't throw his FB for strikes. He threw one at 85 that buckled one hitters knees for the K. His CU is just a show pitch right now, he threw maybe 4 that I can remember not one for a strike.
    When you can start with a mid to upper 90's fastball thats a wonderful foundation to build off of. The only thing I want out of Cabrera is innings. Hopefully by the end of 2015 he is able to get into the 180 range. Some really good prospects down on the farm. They are just all so young.

Sims 19
    Cabrera 19
    Peraza 19
    Caratini 19
    Reyes 19
    Lien 19

Thats just some of it but I think the best. Just need to patient. This farm is back on the rise. The only reason its not rated highly now is because they have made picks that were TOO good. Simmons/Gattis/Terdo/Wood rocketed to the majors. If those 4 were still in the minors people would be talking about the Braves farm as one of the top 10 in the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Carlos Perez with three hitless/walkless innings with 3 strikeouts. Still only 21 years old. We could be looking at a solid bullpen candidate by mid season next year. Nice to always have that next lefty on the horizon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Sorry, getting excited about the minor leagues tonight.

Caratini with his first professional homer and 2 walks today. For someone so young he seems to have a really good idea what to do at the plate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

Caratini with his first professional homer and 2 walks today. For someone so young he seems to have a really good idea what to do at the plate.
    Cabrera has really hit his stride. Hope his winter work will preclude them shutting him down too quick. Also noting that Wren and Peraza are having a "can you top this?" week in SBs.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts

Hard to get excited bout anything else right now lol! The big club has been depressing the past 2 days. The minors are my getaway from that especially when the top specs are playing well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Is it time to send Caratini to Rome?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    FYI: Schlosser pitching game two of Miss. DH tonight.

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Mejias Breaks Gwinnett Home Run Recprdddw
    Looks like he also broke rico's brain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    Looks like he also broke rico's brain.
    Among the things I haven't figured out on the board is how to edit a posted header.