Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All I've heard since 2009 is........

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts

All I've heard since 2009 is........

"OBAMA IS GOING TO TAKE ALL OUR GUNS AWAY!!!!!!"

Granted, I live in a fairly conservative area where people are afraid to order frozen yogurt or visit a childrens playground without packing heat.

We are halfway thru 2014, and I've never heard him suggest at all that it's his intention to "take all our guns away."

Any of you had any or all of your guns taken yet? Will it happen before the election in 2017? Or will Obama somehow gain a 3rd term then rule us with an iron fist as a dictator like so many people suggest?

It's hard to separate fact from fiction, so I thought I'd ask your opinions.

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    If I owned a gun shop, I'd vote Democrat every time. What's better for business?

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gary82 For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (08-26-2014), Dalyn (08-24-2014), mossy (08-23-2014)

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary82 View Post
    If I owned a gun shop, I'd vote Democrat every time. What's better for business?
    I'd bet gun manufactures wish Obama a 3rd term. Up the paranoia, up the sales.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    During both the 08 and 12 election cycles, guns shops and gun shows in my area were running ads about how OMG THE GUMMINT IS ABOUT TO CONFISCATE UR GUNZZZZ!!!1! BETTER BUY NOW!1!!!

Playing on irrational fears, plain and simple. Gun control hasn't been a national electoral issue for Dems in ages. The only meaningful gun control legislation during Obama's admin was post-Newtown, and it was bi-partisan.

Seriously, if I worked in that business and sold my product that way, I'd be ashamed to look at myself in the mirror.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Obama is a phony, that much is clear. Dude should never have been president. He just simply wasn't experienced enough to be president. Dems just flat out blew it electing Obama over Hillary. Hillary at least would have had Clinton telling her what to do. Now Hillary is a very meh candidate at best. All things being equal if we saw Obama's resume for becoming president we all would have laughed it away and told his ass to go get some real experience. In the end many imagined what Obama could be as President rather than admitting to themselves what he likely would be. He's failed us in a way that is truly harmful to our country. Isis has become a legit terrorist threat out of nowhere plus China, Russia, Iran and Hamas has grown in power. Big mistake not electing Romney as president. That much is clear. I feel like the non homers have figured out the errors of their ways here. It's tough to admit for some and I truly get that, yet at the same time it is what it is. The homers will grump about Romney being a rich white guy devoid of middle class understanding, but honestly nobody has played being the rich white guy better than Obama. Not that being a rich white guy is wrong.

Now with that in mind on the gun thing. I don't think gun abolition is the answer. Some of the most peaceful countries in the world have surprisingly high gun ownership. Sure, some have low gun ownership, but the point is that there is no true statistical correlation there. So what's the answer? I don't know. Can we have a real conversation about that in this society without the rhetoric? I'm not sure about that. It's a complicated issue. I don't think it's race based. I think it's culture based.
    Last edited by weso1; 08-23-2014 at 11:37 PM.
    thank you weso1!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

mossy (08-24-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,421 Posts
    First off Weso - you are wrong about Obama
    Romney was a horrible candidate and an elitist. Hillary is... well, former Senator and former Sec of State.
    Both were outfoxed at every turn by Obama . Blaming ISIS on the Obama Administration is in the worsw of Julio "being willfully obtuse"
    We don't needlessly invade, occupy and dismantle the infrastructure of IRaq -- we aren't talking about ISIS.
    You can look that up

secondly it is not race or culture based. It is driven by profits. Like tobacco was and like war is.

$$$$$$$$$
    the doneros

let's look at the board of directors of NRA
    http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/gun-lobby...-the-nra-board
    Last edited by 57Brave; 08-23-2014 at 11:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    First off Weso - you are wrong about Obama

secondly it is not race or culture based. It is driven by profits. Like tobacco was and like war. $$$$$$$$$
    Well, your Obama comment isn't shocking.

Your second comment is nonsensical mainly because I love using the word nonsensical and second because money is there to be made in more peaceful countries as well. Gun ownership is high in some of these countries.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,421 Posts
    Name them and show your math.

Our country per capita overwhelmingly possess' more firearms than most of the world ---
    one google search leads to wikipedia with handy graphs and charts.
    I have a new favorite word too! It came out of the Wiki link below -"unambiguously".
    Let me show you how it is used in a sentence
    "While the United States is ranked for the highest gun ownership rate unambiguously,"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_...ita_by_country

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Big mistake not electing Romney as president. That much is clear.
    HAHAHAHHAHA! You're ****ING HILARIOUS!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary82 View Post
    HAHAHAHHAHA! You're ****ING HILARIOUS!
    Thank you. I'm glad someone finally realizes how hilarious I am.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Name them and show your math.

Our country per capita overwhelmingly possess' more firearms than most of the world ---
    one google search leads to wikipedia with handy graphs and charts.
    I have a new favorite word too! It came out of the Wiki link below -"unambiguously".
    Let me show you how it is used in a sentence
    "While the United States is ranked for the highest gun ownership rate unambiguously,"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_...ita_by_country
    1 + 1 = 2

The math is just that simple.
    thank you weso1!

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,810 Posts
    I hate Obama but I do think he's a better President than what McCain would have been. At the very least, Obama has shown some restraint on military intervention (although we're still everywhere, and he's a drone killing machine). He's also loosened drug laws up a bit (although, they're still prosecuting far more drug offenders than they should).

Obama's failures has come from continued weak economy - he needs to lower corporate income taxes tomorrow. His failures have been the ACA. His signing of NDAA and expansion of Patriot Act. His… well, there's a lot. Let's just say he's been a disaster. But I still think I'd prefer to McCain.

Romney was a complete phony and didn't trust him at all. I'd probably prefer him to Obama bc maybe we get some tax breaks out of him. But probably an extra war sprinkled in as well.

Ron Paul or Gary Johnson would have been ideal

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (08-24-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Thank you. I'm glad someone finally realizes how hilarious I am.
    No, thank you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,421 Posts
    While Obama is taking away citizens guns and the cops are armin' up.
    Somebody has to make money off of Ferguson --- right?

http://www.salon.com/2014/08/24/ferg...downs_partner/

-----------------
    "The police response is the perfect showcase for the companies that manufacture military equipment for law enforcement use. They can point to the police tactics to sell their products to other law enforcement agencies preparing for demonstrations. And in Missouri, the police’s massive use of armaments like tear gas mean that their stock is becoming depleted and they will need to re-up their purchases. These companies will profit from the tension in Ferguson, and could fuel even greater militarization of the police, a trend that began with the war on drugs and has accelerated in recent years with the advent of the war on terror."
    Last edited by 57Brave; 08-24-2014 at 05:33 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,996 Posts
    1/3 of Iceland citizens own guns. And Iceland has some of the lowest violent crime rates in the world.

Switzerland, Canada, Sweden, Germany, Italy, and Finland. All high gun ownership rates per capita. All peaceful countries with low homicide rates and low violent crime rates.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    1/3 of Iceland citizens own guns. And Iceland has some of the lowest violent crime rates in the world.

Switzerland, Canada, Sweden, Germany, Italy, and Finland. All high gun ownership rates per capita. All peaceful countries with low homicide rates and low violent crime rates.
    To add some texture, it's worth noting that all of the countries you've mentioned have less than half the guns per capita than the US does. They also have stricter controls for licensing and ownership, and the variety of weapons and ammunition allowed for civilian ownership.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Round here its a lot harder to get guns and ammunition is almost never on the shelf. Not sure if that's related to any measures taken by Obama.

Maybe his evil plan was to jack up health insurance costs so high that you can't afford to purchase any guns? I mean was his great OBamacare idea to make me spend a grand or more in health insurance every month?
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Round here its a lot harder to get guns and ammunition is almost never on the shelf. Not sure if that's related to any measures taken by Obama.

Maybe his evil plan was to jack up health insurance costs so high that you can't afford to purchase any guns? I mean was his great OBamacare idea to make me spend a grand or more in health insurance every month?
    The scarcity of ammunition owes itself to dumbasses buying ****loads of it because the industry is telling them that the gummint is going to outlaw it.

Just to counter anecdote for anecdote, I bought my insurance through the exchange this year and am paying $50/month less than I did for a comparable, if slightly better plan last year. So, I guess that's $50 to protect myself from being put in one of those FEMA camps.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    To add some texture, it's worth noting that all of the countries you've mentioned have less than half the guns per capita than the US does. They also have stricter controls for licensing and ownership, and the variety of weapons and ammunition allowed for civilian ownership.
    Yeah, US has almost as many guns as people. Probably more when you factor in illegal guns into the equation. There are almost as many guns as Cellphones in use.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post

Well I'll explain that to you, supply and demand. Supply is lower than demand instead of higher. Need to protectyourself from those thugs.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg