Let's start with Betts and Owens.
    Sold!

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tvsportscaster View Post
    So he thinks two players and two prospects will get 'er done.
    Henry Owens, check
    Mookie Betts, check
    Will Middlebrooks?
    Rubby de la Rosa

Heck, do it now.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Fenway's RF is tricky, but Heyward's plus defense wouldn't be fully realized in that park.

It would take a boatload for me to trade Heyward. It would start with prospects in the tier of Betts and Owens, but it would take at least two more guys, one of which would have to be a major leaguer. Red Sox have some interesting prospects, but I don't think one can turn their back on Heyward's still likely upside.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Anyone that trades Heyward for anyone not named Trout should be taken out back and given the ole one two

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I think you have to resign either Heyward or J-Up this offseason and trade the other one. I think it's pretty clear we aren't going to resign both. So offer them both similar contracts this winter in the $90+ million range. Whichever one doesn't take it is the one you try to trade this off-season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I dont think people will flock to the new stadium to see Mookie Betts play with BJ.

Betcha they keep both

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    So he thinks two players and two prospects will get 'er done.
    Henry Owens, check
    Mookie Betts, check
    Will Middlebrooks?
    Rubby de la Rosa

Heck, do it now.
    That's too much for just Heyward. We would have to include our center fielder as well.

If the Sox want Black Jesus, they have to take Bad Upton as well.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DirkPiggler For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-27-2014)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Anyone that trades Heyward for anyone not named Trout should be taken out back and given the ole one two
    This.

This ×1000.
    Heyward will be an MVP.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    I dont think people will flock to the new stadium to see Mookie Betts play with BJ.

Betcha they keep both
    This is from early in the season on MiLB.com, and consider Betts has reached the majors since:

Betts has been one of the hottest prospects in the Minors, slashing .407/.459/.651 through 20 games and reaching base in 50 consecutive contests, dating back to last year.

In order to figure out what's made Betts so good this season, I watched 18 of his recent at-bats via MiLB.TV in games from April 19, 25 and 26. He was 8-for-18 in that sample, and two things in particular stood out in his first taste of Double-A -- his pitch selection and contact ability.

Betts took the first pitch in 16 of the 18 at-bats I watched, including seven of them for strikes. The only first pitches he swung at were fastballs near the middle of the plate -- one he fouled straight back and the other he lined sharply to center for a single. Some pitches he took were hittable, and he does border on passive early in counts. That said, Betts is stepping to the box looking for specific pitches, and he's sticking to that gameplan strictly, which is impressive for a 21-year-old.

When he did swing, he literally never missed. Betts took 23 cuts during the 18 at-bats I sampled, and connected on every one. This was in large part because he didn't appear to chase any pitches outside the strike zone -- just one swing came on even a borderline pitch, and that was a quality 2-2 curveball from Trenton's Matt Tracy. But he also showed an ability to speed his bat when behind on fastballs or to hit off his front foot if he was out ahead of offspeed pitches.

Making contact is a strength for Betts, and though much of that contact was sharp, his swing produced mostly ground balls and low line drives. He also hit two homers in these at-bats, and both were line drives that just cleared the outfield wall. The first was on a 2-1 curve on April 19. Betts had jumped ahead 2-0, then fouled a fastball straight back with an aggressive hack, indicating he had right-hander Matthew Summers' heater well-timed. Summers came back with a curve but hung it, and Betts punished the mistake.

The other homer came in the 14th inning of Portland's 9-8 win over Trenton on April 26. That blast also came on a 2-1 pitch, this one an 86 mph fastball. The ball was left over the plate, and the swing was by far the most aggressive Betts used on a ball in play out of the sample I viewed.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I think you have to resign either Heyward or J-Up this offseason and trade the other one. I think it's pretty clear we aren't going to resign both. So offer them both similar contracts this winter in the $90+ million range. Whichever one doesn't take it is the one you try to trade this off-season.
    So we trade one of our 3 best players when in playoff contention? Same thing as when people were all about trading Kimbrel cause we weren't gonna be able to do it, bottom line we want to win we don't make that trade. If we're stinking midseason we trade one of them. We may never get a chance to win again.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Playing the Waiting Game BremanFan88's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    This is from early in the season on MiLB.com, and consider Betts has reached the majors since:

Betts has been one of the hottest prospects in the Minors, slashing .407/.459/.651 through 20 games and reaching base in 50 consecutive contests, dating back to last year.

In order to figure out what's made Betts so good this season, I watched 18 of his recent at-bats via MiLB.TV in games from April 19, 25 and 26. He was 8-for-18 in that sample, and two things in particular stood out in his first taste of Double-A -- his pitch selection and contact ability.

Betts took the first pitch in 16 of the 18 at-bats I watched, including seven of them for strikes. The only first pitches he swung at were fastballs near the middle of the plate -- one he fouled straight back and the other he lined sharply to center for a single. Some pitches he took were hittable, and he does border on passive early in counts. That said, Betts is stepping to the box looking for specific pitches, and he's sticking to that gameplan strictly, which is impressive for a 21-year-old.

When he did swing, he literally never missed. Betts took 23 cuts during the 18 at-bats I sampled, and connected on every one. This was in large part because he didn't appear to chase any pitches outside the strike zone -- just one swing came on even a borderline pitch, and that was a quality 2-2 curveball from Trenton's Matt Tracy. But he also showed an ability to speed his bat when behind on fastballs or to hit off his front foot if he was out ahead of offspeed pitches.

Making contact is a strength for Betts, and though much of that contact was sharp, his swing produced mostly ground balls and low line drives. He also hit two homers in these at-bats, and both were line drives that just cleared the outfield wall. The first was on a 2-1 curve on April 19. Betts had jumped ahead 2-0, then fouled a fastball straight back with an aggressive hack, indicating he had right-hander Matthew Summers' heater well-timed. Summers came back with a curve but hung it, and Betts punished the mistake.

The other homer came in the 14th inning of Portland's 9-8 win over Trenton on April 26. That blast also came on a 2-1 pitch, this one an 86 mph fastball. The ball was left over the plate, and the swing was by far the most aggressive Betts used on a ball in play out of the sample I viewed.
    That's nice. Jason is well on his way to another 6+ WAR season. Let me know when Betts gets to that level.
    All you need is Hart and Cox.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BremanFan88 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-27-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BremanFan88 View Post
    That's nice. Jason is well on his way to another 6+ WAR season. Let me know when Betts gets to that level.
    And so far in the majors Mookie Betts has been no better than TLS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    And if the alternative is watching Heywood walk for a draft pick? Would you say the Rangers were stupid for trading Tex?
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    And if the alternative is watching Heywood walk for a draft pick? Would you say the Rangers were stupid for trading Tex?
    Not comparable. Rangers were a losing team. Cards didn't trade Pujols despite a real good chance of losing him, Brewers didn't trade Fielder, and so on so forth. Rays are only team I can think of who've been winning and traded off key parts. If someone pulls a Shields offer for Jason or Justin then yeah you consider that. But Mookie Betts isn't the centerpiece of any jason trade I like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    We could of let Tex walk for a draft pick that could of been Mike Trout. Instead we traded him for nothing.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BremanFan88 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-27-2014), Krovahn (08-26-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    The way I see it we can either give Heywood 20+ mill a year or trade him for 3-4 young/cheap players and spend the money elsewhere.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    216 Posts
    Keeping your best player is always the right option.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to BremanFan88 For This Useful Post:

yeezus (08-26-2014)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    So we trade one of our 3 best players when in playoff contention? Same thing as when people were all about trading Kimbrel cause we weren't gonna be able to do it, bottom line we want to win we don't make that trade. If we're stinking midseason we trade one of them. We may never get a chance to win again.
    If the return is worth it, absolutely. Heyward hasn't exactly been a world beater offensively. And while we would miss his defense, depending on the talent level of player we are getting back, it not matter all that much.

And the alternative is to lose Heyward in yr anyways and be stuck in the same situation of no Heyward. Only this time, we have nothing to show for it (aside from a draft pick)