Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

9 year old girl accidentally kills her shooting instructor with an Uzi

this made me laugh

-----------------------

By DAVE HAWKINS

SPECIAL TO THE LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL
    KINGMAN, Ariz. — An instructor who was shot by a 9-year-old girl who fired an Uzi at a northwestern Arizona shooting range died Monday night at University Medical Center in Las Vegas.

The girl fired the weapon at the outdoor range that caters to heavy tourism traffic along U.S. Highway 93 between Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon Skywalk.

Highway signage and Internet advertising beckons visitors to stop in, fire a machine gun and enjoy a meal at the Bullets and Burgers enterprise at the Last Stop, about 25 miles south of Las Vegas.

The Mohave County Sheriff’s Office said the accidental shooting occurred about 10 a.m. Spokeswoman Trish Carter said the girl, who was vacationing from New Jersey with her parents, was standing next to the instructor at the time.

Mohave County Sheriff Jim McCabe said the girl safely and successfully fired the 9 mm weapon several times when it was set in the “single-shot” mode.

He said the weapon was put into the “fully-automatic” mode before the girl fired again with the instructor standing off to her left. The weapon recoiled and drifted left as the girl squeezed off an undetermined number of rounds as she maintained possession but lost control of the Uzi as it raised up above her head.

“The guy just dropped,” McCabe said of shooting instructor Charles Vacca, 39, of Lake Havasu City, who suffered at least one gunshot to the head.

Jeff Frichette, director of training for The Range 702 in Las Vegas, said the incident in Arizona would never occur at his business. He credited this to how continuously shooting range’s safety officers are trained.

“Hypothetically” a 9-year-old would be able to shoot a fully-automatic weapon, but it’s a discretionary decision, he said.

That decision is based on physical and safety guidelines, he said.

Children need to understand the concept of safety before they are allowed to shoot, Frichette said.

Also, they must be “physically and mentally prepared” before they are allowed to shoot a fully automatic weapon. This includes a 4-foot height requirement, he said, adding that even then, they have to master other weapons such as a semi-automatic .22-caliber rifle before they’re allowed to shoot a fully automatic.

He added that a petite-looking child would likely only be allowed to shoot a semi-automatic rifle.

The Review-Journal contacted several other gun ranges in Las Vegas. One did not return a call and officials at another two declined to comment.

An autopsy on Vacca’s body will be performed by the Clark County coroner’s office.

McCabe said no citations will be issued and no charges will be filed as the shooting range is a licensed and legal operation.

The Bullets and Burgers website markets a unique shooting experience for customers.

“Our guests have the opportunity to fire a wide range of fully automatic machine guns and specialty weapons,” the website states. “At our range, you can shoot FULL auto on our machine guns.

“Let ‘em Rip!”

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/ne...ally-shot-girl

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    This has to be a joke?

Uzi's are illegal....aren't they?

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Hey, when you treat guns like they're toys—or entertainment—this is the horrible, soul-twisting **** that can happen.

I'm actually not opposed to gun ownership—that horse has left the barn. It's in the Constitution, like it or not. I'm opposed to the culture of normalizing guns as anything other than a way to kill a deer or the last resort of self defense. Anything else has tragic consequences that you can read about in American newspapers every day.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Mrs. Meta (08-27-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Here we go folks. They're taking our guns. Goldfly the grey and his cohort Julio from the internet are here to aid the state in their eventual conquest of ending the right the bear arms. They ignore the fact that there do in fact exist peaceful countries with relatively high gun ownership. Why do they ignore this fact? They want militarized government to have full control over you. How can you defend against them without competitive weaponry? It's easier for the new world order to take over if you can't defend yourself. It's happening. It is freaking happening.
    thank you weso1!

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Here we go folks. They're taking our guns. Goldfly the grey and his cohort Julio from the internet are here to aid the state in their eventual conquest of ending the right the bear arms. They ignore the fact that there do in fact exist peaceful countries with relatively high gun ownership. Why do they ignore this fact? They want militarized government to have full control over you. How can you defend against them without competitive weaponry? It's easier for the new world order to take over if you can't defend yourself. It's happening. It is freaking happening.
    poor weso

trying so hard to be funny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    poor weso

trying so hard to be funny
    I honestly don't think it's funny at all. That's not what I'm going for here. This is a real change in my belief system.
    thank you weso1!

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Giving a 9 year old an uzi is obviously a terrible idea.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    910 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Agreed, that's ridiculous

OTOH, I'm glad Goldy had a laugh

10. The Following User Says Thank You to acesfull86 For This Useful Post:

sturg33 (08-27-2014)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    Agreed, that's ridiculous

OTOH, I'm glad Goldy had a laugh
    My thoughts exactly. Goldy laughing about it is kinda sad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Terrible parenting. Simply awful.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Just what a 9 year old girl needs, ballet, piano, soccer and sub-machine gun practice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    laughing at dumb people who should win darwin awards is funny

you really aren't laughing at a gun nut who gave a fully automatic weapon to a 9 year old in the name of "safety" getting killed by said action?

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    I think that would be like me laughing at a black man who charges a cop, knowing that the cop could very well overreact and kill him.

I would never do that.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

thethe (08-27-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Ah, the ever so enlightened Goldy succumbing to his political ideologies.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Haha, sticking for and not making fun of this idiot and then trying to compare it to abuse of power

Awesome

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Which abuse of power?

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    I'm pro gun but any parent that teaches a 9 year old how to shoot isn't doing it in the name of safety. They're doing it because they get off on teaching and seeing little kids using guns. There's no argument in the world for it. Some people are going to act like the kid should know how to safely handle the gun in case they find one laying around. No kids needs to learn how to load, fire off some rounds and unload a gun. You teach the kid to just stay away and never touch one if they see it. Once they get old enough to where they have decent motor skills and brain function, you can start to ease them into it with a bb gun and so forth.

Either way looks like the student became the teacher

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ESP47 View Post
    I'm pro gun but any parent that teaches a 9 year old how to shoot isn't doing it in the name of safety. They're doing it because they get off on teaching and seeing little kids using guns. There's no argument in the world for it. Some people are going to act like the kid should know how to safely handle the gun in case they find one laying around. No kids needs to learn how to load, fire off some rounds and unload a gun. You teach the kid to just stay away and never touch one if they see it. Once they get old enough to where they have decent motor skills and brain function, you can start to ease them into it with a bb gun and so forth.

Either way looks like the student became the teacher
    I disagree with that. A 9 year old has the mental capacity to load, unload, and shoot a gun. I know it because I did it at a younger age than that. I would argue that they shouldn't be shooting off UZI's though.

I grew up around guns and never would imagine running around and playing with one. Learning how to use one showed me the respect you have to have around guns. I mean my kids can run across a gun at someone else's house without me knowing it. Teaching them how to use means they aren't curious about them and is much better than just saying stay away, imo. Its like telling your gets not to drink beer, so when they get about 10 you give them a beer.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    I disagree with that. A 9 year old has the mental capacity to load, unload, and shoot a gun. I know it because I did it at a younger age than that. I would argue that they shouldn't be shooting off UZI's though.

I grew up around guns and never would imagine running around and playing with one. Learning how to use one showed me the respect you have to have around guns. I mean my kids can run across a gun at someone else's house without me knowing it. Teaching them how to use means they aren't curious about them and is much better than just saying stay away, imo. Its like telling your gets not to drink beer, so when they get about 10 you give them a beer.
    Yeah they have the mental capacity to do it but they are far more mistake prone than a teenager would be. My dad taught me at that age too and I'll still stand here and say that it was a terrible idea. Anyone can make a mistake but young children are far more likely to make a mistake with something like that.

That's not very good logic there giles. You don't teach a kid how to use a dangerous object just because it's dangerous. What are you going to teach your 9 year old how to drive a car in case he/she happens across one idling in someones driveway? I was taught how to shoot but I was also told in the strictest manner to never touch a gun that I found lying around. Not only could it kill me but if my dad found out he would kill me himself. That was enough to keep me from doing it. If you have a serious enough conversation with your child about something, chances are they aren't going to go and do it themselves. Especially if you tell them how it can kill them. You don't see younger people going around playing with rattlesnakes or bears but they'll try weed/alcohol or whatever because they know it's not going to kill them.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ESP47 View Post
    Yeah they have the mental capacity to do it but they are far more mistake prone than a teenager would be. My dad taught me at that age too and I'll still stand here and say that it was a terrible idea. Anyone can make a mistake but young children are far more likely to make a mistake with something like that.

That's not very good logic there giles. You don't teach a kid how to use a dangerous object just because it's dangerous. What are you going to teach your 9 year old how to drive a car in case he/she happens across one idling in someones driveway? I was taught how to shoot but I was also told in the strictest manner to never touch a gun that I found lying around. Not only could it kill me but if my dad found out he would kill me himself. That was enough to keep me from doing it. If you have a serious enough conversation with your child about something, chances are they aren't going to go and do it themselves. Especially if you tell them how it can kill them. You don't see younger people going around playing with rattlesnakes or bears but they'll try weed/alcohol or whatever because they know it's not going to kill them.

Of course they are mistake prone, but with a semi-auto and careful instruction, they are fine.

I actually wrecked two cars as a child because my parents left me in the car while it was on. It didn't matter what they told me. You can only protect your kids so much and you can do all the talking you want (which is what I do), but kids will be kids.

Weed and alcohol certainly do kill a ton of kids/teenagers.