Thread: TO THE READERSHIP: Some questions in advance of the Fall Top 30 Prospects

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

TO THE READERSHIP: Some questions in advance of the Fall Top 30 Prospects

We'll be putting together our fall Top 30 prospects list soon. Some questions for the masses:

1) Any dispute that Peraza is our No. 1 guy right now?

2) How high does Oz Albies go on the list?

3) Of all the indy signees/free agents this season, anyone jump out at you as Top 30 material? I think there might be!

4) How far has Lucas Sims slipped?

5) How far has Hursh climbed?

6) Can Bello, as age 29, possibly be ranked?

7) Where the heck to we put Dilmer Mejia?

8) Parsons, Lipka and Michaels, among others, have had serious injury situations this year. Do we consider any of them?

FYI: Terdoslavich has 55 games in the majors, so he cannot be considered a prospect any longer, much like Pastornicky or Constanza.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    1) He's #1 in my book, but Sims pitched well the last couple months. Not much separating those two.

2) Maybe in the top 5.

3) Don't think so.

4) Not much.

5) Not much. Somewhere in our top 5.

6) Sure, but not that highly.

7) Top 20 but not top 10.

8) Who is Michaels? Parsons is still a top prospect. Lipka wasn't even before his injury.

(I was thinking about Ian Thomas. Don't don why I wrote Michaels. Rico)
    Last edited by rico43; 08-28-2014 at 11:31 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

thethe (08-28-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    1) He's #1 in my book, but Sims pitched well the last couple months. Not much separating those two.

2) Maybe in the top 5.

3) Don't think so.

4) Not much.

5) Not much. Somewhere in our top 5.

6) Sure, but not that highly.

7) Top 20 but not top 10.

8) Who is Michaels? Parsons is still a top prospect. Lipka wasn't even before his injury.
    Pretty much agree with this.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    rico, this isn't a battle of the bands, but I am going to construct my own list in an alternative format.

As per your questions.

(1) Absolutely.

(2) Top 5 overall. I always hesitate on guys in rookie ball, but he's on the fast track and has done well.

(3) Not in my book.

(4) Very little. Minor league baseball is getting older and Sims is young for the CL in both age and experience. Slide in K numbers/rate is my only concern.

(5) Top 10. GB heavy guy who seems to pitch to contact. I still have questions on how that will translate as he moves up.

(6) Tough call. Probably yes if you are ranking 30 guys.

(7) Another tough call. Agree with nsacpi. Not top ten material at this point.

(8) All those guys fell dramatically. Off the top 30? It's your list.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    1. I still take Sims, but I have no issue if you have Peraza at 1 and Sims at 2. Sims experienced some growing pains, but he's 20 in A ball, it doesn't take much to right that ship. Still believe in his talent level. Peraza's inability to walk scares me long term on his offensive projection.

2. I would say top 10. Great potential, don't know if I'd put him top 5 though. I guess part of that would be if you exclude Bethancourt or not. As I consider Sims, Peraza, Bethancourt for sure better, and I'd put him behind for now Parsons, Cabrera, Hursh and Reyes. I'd put him on par with Braxton.

3. I have no clue, you know better than I.

4. Not at all as far as our system goes. I think he slips on the bigger stage of BA top 100, but inside the Braves system he's still number 1 or at worst number 2. Which if you'll put Peraza ahead of him, you probably would have anyway even if Sims had a stronger season.

5. Hursh I think was well regarded going into this season. I think what's happening is he's going from a bottom half top 10 to more middle of the pack.

6. Yes. If you can't find 30 better prospects he should be included though his age should very much negatively effect his ranking.

7. Edge of top 10. Maybe in it maybe just out of it. Nice that we have some talent in the lower minors and hopefully a few of thme pan out.

8. Parsons yes, He's had a down year from last year, but nowhere near as bad as his ERA indicates. Lipka I don't know if you can make space for him. He's basically IMO toast. I mean yes he's still pretty young, maybe he develops like Michael Bourn and blooms late, but we're looking at a kid who's never hit much since rookie ball. The only glimmer of hope I have for him is his BB numbers are decent. If he can lower his Ks and keep his BBs up. Then I'll have a little faith in him.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    CB is actually on a really nice hot streak since being sent back down. Hopefully something clicked.
    Natural Immunity Croc

8. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

rico43 (08-28-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    CB is actually on a really nice hot streak since being sent back down. Hopefully something clicked.
    He has no patience and no power. His rookie season was uber promising. Walked, shwoed good pop, etc. Since then, he's never walked over 5% and has rpetty regularly K'd at 15+% And he really hasn't shown any real power. Maybe it clicks for him at some point, I am not holding my breath though. I'm thinking he's a good backup C/AL C.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    He has no patience and no power. His rookie season was uber promising. Walked, shwoed good pop, etc. Since then, he's never walked over 5% and has rpetty regularly K'd at 15+% And he really hasn't shown any real power. Maybe it clicks for him at some point, I am not holding my breath though. I'm thinking he's a good backup C/AL C.
    I think he's 22 years old and hitting .284 in Class AAA. That buys a long, long look.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    The problem is that he's hitting 284 with almost no patience and only below moderate power. I mean he could be way worse and he coudl still work out. But I just don't really want to put my hopes in him.