Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cedric Hunter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

Cedric Hunter

A good season by a 26-year old in AA is usually not something to get excited about. But we should always be aware that aging profiles can vary quite a bit from player to player and late bloomers crop up now and then.

There are a few things that I find especially impressive about Hunter's season. The walk percentage (11.9%) is higher than the strikeout percentage (11.1%). The ISO is pretty good (.200).

He's always had a low strikeout rate. But the walk rate and ISO have moved up in the last two seasons.

I'm hoping the Bravos put him on the 40-man this off-season and start him off in AAA. He's a guy worth taking a chance on. I believe he has one option left, which would give us some flexibility in terms of major league versus minor league placement over the course of the season.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 09-28-2014 at 10:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Great name.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Just know that if he's not on the 40-man, he's a free agent and a guy who'd likely be in demand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Just know that if he's not on the 40-man, he's a free agent and a guy who'd likely be in demand.
    In the last couple off-seasons, we added a couple older players (Mejia in 2013 and Buchter in 2014) in precisely the situation Hunter is in to make sure they were not lost to another team. There should be room for this guy on the 40-man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I watched Hunter closely this year as some of y'all probably know. I believe he is a MLB calibre player who should've been called up this year. If we let him go I have no doubt he will catch on somewhere else (and he could make a Major league team out of spring training). To sum it up, it would be a mistake not to add him to our 40-man roster.

I also saw him years ago when the Padres gave him a cup of coffee. He looked much better with Mississippi than back then IMO.

PS He's also from Georgia, around where I grew up in fact. So I am rooting for him to make it with his home team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    With the "financial challenges" that John Hart mentioned and likelihood the team will try to move BJ Upton, I think it makes sense to stock up on cheap in-house outfield options. The guys with AAA and some major league experience (Terdoslavich, Cunningham, Constanza) start out as the favorites for ML playing time. But some of our AA guys (Peraza, Hunter, Wren, Mycal Jones) could also help the ML team in 2015.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (09-28-2014), JohnAdcox (09-28-2014), jpx7 (09-29-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    With the "financial challenges" that John Hart mentioned and likelihood the team will try to move BJ Upton, I think it makes sense to stock up on cheap in-house outfield options. The guys with AAA and some major league experience (Terdoslavich, Cunningham, Constanza) start out as the favorites for ML playing time. But some of our AA guys (Peraza, Hunter, Wren, Mycal Jones) could also help the ML team in 2015.
    True, but keep in mind that Hunter has already played in the Majors in the past. So he is someone with major league experience too.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    I saw him play this summer. He also plays the outfield well and has a decent arm. Good all-around player.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    My guess is M. Upton is gone and if Heyward moves over to CF, I can see a spot for Hunter if he performs well in the spring. We sure don't have anyone else in AA or AAA who is ready.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buck75 View Post
    I saw him play this summer. He also plays the outfield well and has a decent arm. Good all-around player.
    Agreed.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    If anyone from within the organization ends up being the answer to replacing BJ in the OF, then the season is already over before it starts. One offensively competent OFer (either .340+ OBP or ~.800 OPS) is the only piece that absolutely must be added from outside the organization this offseason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    What kind of OBP &OPS numbers would you expect from Hunter, Peraza and Aoki next year
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    If anyone from within the organization ends up being the answer to replacing BJ in the OF, then the season is already over before it starts. One offensively competent OFer (either .340+ OBP or ~.800 OPS) is the only piece that absolutely must be added from outside the organization this offseason.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    What kind of OBP &OPS numbers would you expect from Hunter, Peraza and Aoki next year
    Peraza will not be close to ready to play OF at the MLB level next year, and I wouldn't even try to hazard a guess on Hunter since I know nothing about him other than if he is a realistic option to play everyday in the OF in Atlanta the team is in serious trouble.

Aoki? I would expect him to put up an empty .340-.350 OBP at the top of the lineup, steal 20+ bases and play average-ish defense at a corner OF spot.

Again, this is exactly like the 2B last offseason that went unaddressed. It was a disaster from day 1 of the season just like we knew it would be. The Uggla -> Pastor -> TLS -> Goss fiasco played out exactly like I predicted it would. Let's not make the exact same mistake with the OF this offseason, mmkay?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Billy Hamilton made the transition to center with little minor league time there. Mookie Betts did the same. So did BJ Upton when he came up. Happens all the time.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    CF is the easiest OF position to learn for someone moving from the IF.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    OK, so plan A should be to move a 20 year old Peraza to CF during spring training and see what happens? And the fallback option is to give the job to a 26 year old minor league journeyman with a career OPS under 800? Maybe platoon that guy with Terdo and Cunningham? Boy, I bet the Nats are shaking in their boots at the thought of that!

Sorry, I must be the only one that thinks this is completely crazy. BJ Upton is a world-class athlete that made the transition to CF due to that athleticism. Billy Hamilton is the fastest man in the game and played over 100 games in the minors in CF. Betts played over 40 games in CF in the minors, came onto a last place team with Pedrioa locked in at 2B, and an OF that was in shambles. In what world are the Braves and Peraza in remotely the same situation?

A guy like Aoki can slide into the 4th OFer role if someone like Peraza ends up being the long term answer in CF. More likely, one of JUp or Heyward leaves via FA, Peraza takes over CF, and the Braves STILL need another OFer. Regardless, the Braves need to bring in an OFer from outside the organization for the next 1-2 years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I would expect Aoki to hit better in 2015 than Peraza and Hunter but would be inferior defensively. In terms of, overall value it is close to a push between Aoki and Peraza in 2015. When u take into account the kind of deal Aoki is likely to get it doesnt look like a good investment to me.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    OK, so plan A should be to move a 20 year old Peraza to CF during spring training and see what happens? And the fallback option is to give the job to a 26 year old minor league journeyman with a career OPS under 800? Maybe platoon that guy with Terdo and Cunningham? Boy, I bet the Nats are shaking in their boots at the thought of that!

Sorry, I must be the only one that thinks this is completely crazy. BJ Upton is a world-class athlete that made the transition to CF due to that athleticism. Billy Hamilton is the fastest man in the game and played over 100 games in the minors in CF. Betts played over 40 games in CF in the minors, came onto a last place team with Pedrioa locked in at 2B, and an OF that was in shambles. In what world are the Braves and Peraza in remotely the same situation?

A guy like Aoki can slide into the 4th OFer role if someone like Peraza ends up being the long term answer in CF. More likely, one of JUp or Heyward leaves via FA, Peraza takes over CF, and the Braves STILL need another OFer. Regardless, the Braves need to bring in an OFer from outside the organization for the next 1-2 years.
    If they can rid themselves of M. Upton, I would not be surprised to see Heyward in CF and a platoon in one of the corner OF positions.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    I would expect Aoki to hit better in 2015 than Peraza and Hunter but would be inferior defensively. In terms of, overall value it is close to a push between Aoki and Peraza in 2015. When u take into account the kind of deal Aoki is likely to get it doesnt look like a good investment to me.
    And what was the problem with the 2014 team? Complete lack of offense, especially getting on base? Or was it the corner OF defense that lead to a sub .500 record?

This team is terrible offensively. Pitiful. Dismal. Brutal. Awful. Dumpster fire bad. If CB starts we will quite possibly see 4 spots in the lineup produce a .300 OBP or worse (3B, SS, CF, C). It will be nearly impossible to compete for a playoff spot with that many black holes in the lineup. Don't you think the roster fixes should probably address that first and foremost?
    Last edited by Enscheff; 09-30-2014 at 03:53 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    If they can rid themselves of M. Upton, I would not be surprised to see Heyward in CF and a platoon in one of the corner OF positions.
    A platoon may work, but not some Cunningham/Terdo/Hunter platoon.