Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So You're Frank Wren (Or Whoever's In His Office This Winter)...

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

So You're Frank Wren (Or Whoever's In His Office This Winter)...

I tend to agree with most that Fredi's gone. The players (in general) aren't going to change much given the extensions, so we need a new voice in the clubhouse. I would make every effort to keep McDowell and Perez around, and TP is OK, but I'd allow the new Manager plenty of input about the rest of the staff. FWIW, I'd want to sit down and have a long chat with Jason Varitek, Dave Martinez, Torrey Lovullo, and Jose Oquendo about replacing Gonzalez. You really need someone with some "fire" that's not such a players' Manager - someone willing to step on the players' toes when the situation warrants it.

Even with a new voice and vibe in the clubhouse, the roster needs some shaking up - and a move away from the unsuccessful hitting approaches. The roster turnover needs to include a couple of "leaders" (both by example and more importantly vocally). So...

1.) Trade Gattis and Cody Martin for Alex Cobb. Gattis is exactly the type of inexpensive power bat they need to supplement Longoria and a healthy Myers to compete offensively in the AL East, and they've got Matt Moore coming back to fill Cobb's rotation spot.

2.) Trade Heyward for Joey Gallo. Gallo won't be ready until late next season (at the earliest), but Heyward Would really add depth to their offense hitting behind Beltre and Fielder. If you have to platoon Johnson with Gallo in 2016 to get some value out of his contract, so be it.

3.) Trade Lucas Sims and Tommy La Stella for Charlie Blackmon. Colorado has an absolute logjam in the OF (not to mention too many LH OFs), would like to re-sign Cuddyer, and has Kyle Parker wasting time in Colorado Springs. Blackmon can replace B. J. in CF.

4.) Sign Nick Markakis to replace Heyward in RF. He's not going to command nearly what his option will cost Baltimore to keep him if he hits the open market ($17.5 million), nor is he worth it. However, with a $2 million buyout already in his pocket we might be able to get a bit of a hometown discount and milk the last 3 good seasons out of him for $10 million per (closer to what he's actually worth). Perfect #2 hitter behind Peraza (not to mention big-time clubhouse leader) - just DOESN'T strike out and should give J-Up and Freddie plenty of chances to hit with men on.

5.) Offer Gavin Floyd another pillow deal to get healthy again. Much cheaper than retaining Santana and much safer than turning the 5th spot in the rotation over to Hale. Hale can always be sent back down to stretch out if you're offered something of value for Floyd before the deadline, and Hursh could be ready to contribute at the back of the rotation by that point as well.

6.) Sign Andrew Miller. JUST DO IT.

7.) Bring back David Ross or Laird. First one to accept $2,500,000 gets the job.

8.) Re-sign Bonifacio and Doumit. Love switch-hitters on the bench, and both give you positional flexibility.

(Offer to include B. J. in ANY trade and pay $38 million of the remaining $46,350,000 of his salary - would help cover most of the money due Johnson in 2017 in the event you wanted to release him.)

2014 Commitments (Per Cot's) - $112,008,731

Proposed 2015 Commitments (Including NO relief from B. J. and Uggla deals) - $113,200,000

2B- Peraza ($550,000)
    RF- Markakis ($10,000,000)
    LF- Upton ($14,500,000)
    1B- Freeman ($8,500,000)
    3B- Johnson ($6,000,000)
    CF- Blackmon ($1,000,000)
    C- Bethancourt ($600,000)
    SS- Simmons ($3,000,000)

SP- Teheran ($1,000,000)
    SP- Wood ($750,000)
    SP- Cobb ($1,000,000)
    SP- Minor ($5,000,000)
    SP- Floyd ($5,000,000)

CL- Kimbrel ($9,000,000)
    SU- Miller ($5,000,000)
    SU- Carpenter (750,000)
    RP- Walden ($2,500,000)
    RP- Shreve ($550,000)
    RP- Simmons ($550,000)
    RP- Hale ($650,000)

C- Ross/Laird ($2,500,000)
    INF- Bonifacio ($2,500,000)
    INF- Gosselin ($550,000)
    OF- Doumit ($3,500,000)
    OF- Cunningham ($550,000)

Released/Traded

Upton ($14,450,000)
    Uggla ($13,250,000)
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Playing the Waiting Game BremanFan88's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    216 Posts
    No.
    All you need is Hart and Cox.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I'd expect Heyward to command more than that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Heyward should get way more than that.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Applaud the effort. Don't agree with much that you said. Right now I have next to zero interest in potential changes. For starters I don't think there is going to much different heading into the 2015 season. Secondly I just don't care anymore.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NinersSBChamps For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (09-17-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    1) Trade Bethancourt, BJ Upton and Gosselin to the Blue Jays for RA Dickey and his personal catcher Josh Thole.

2) Extend Jason and Justin. Moving BJ's contract will help in that regard.

3) Emphasize depth and flexibility in constructing the major league bench and the "second bench" in AAA. I would want a AAA team that has as many potential major league contributors as possible, with emphasis on guys with upside. I would add Cedric Hunter, who had a strong season in AA, to the 40 man roster. I would also have Peraza start the season in AAA both to provide additional seasoning and for service time/arbitration clock considerations. If he does well enough, I'd bring him up in early June and plug him into our position of greatest need.

4) Outfield would be Jason (possibly in center), Justin and a combination of Terdoslavich, Cunningham and Constanza. AAA outfield would be Wren, Hunter and Mycal Jones.

5) Infield would be Freeman, La Stella, Simmons and CJ, with Pastornicky and Pena used off the bench to exploit platoon matchups. Pastornicky could potentially be part of the outfield mix. Our AAA infield would include Kubitza and Elmer Reyes.

6) Catchers would be Gattis and Thole. Bello and Kennelly would be in AAA.

8) Starting rotation would be Dickey, Minor, Teheran, Wood and Hale. I would sign a currently injured pitcher such as Medlen or Floyd to an incentive-laden deal to provide some depth. In AAA, we would have a rotation of Martin, Hursh, Williams Perez, Northcraft and Thomas. That's some pretty decent depth.

9) Pen would be Kimbrel, Walden, Simmons, Carpenter, Russell, Shreve and Avilan. Competition/depth could be provided by Buchter, Varvaro, Schlosser, Jaime, Harper, Hoyt, Daniel Rodriguez as well as the guys in the AAA starting rotation.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    T-hole! Whoooooo!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Any idea that depends on Fredi correctly using the bench (platoons) and/or bullpen is severely flawed.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

jason27nc (09-17-2014)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    They can get more for Heyward than that if they have to trade him but i will say it will be a very interesting offseason.

Minus maybe 4-5 players, no one is safe.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Trade Gattis, Bethancourt has been the catcher if the future as long as his bat came around and to this point it has. Now time to see where he is. Agree with bringing back Laird/Ross, would prefer Ross but doubt he comes back. Trade BJ out of here is an obvious need.

Final move, trade everyone on the 40 man roster, for the Cardinals 25 man roster and call it an offseason

Playing the Waiting Game BremanFan88's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Trade Gattis, Bethancourt has been the catcher if the future as long as his bat came around and to this point it has. Now time to see where he is. Agree with bringing back Laird/Ross, would prefer Ross but doubt he comes back. Trade BJ out of here is an obvious need.
    But his bat hasn't come around. He's the exact same hitter as Simmons and that is not a compliment. He's riding a high BABip and still has no idea what a walk is.
    All you need is Hart and Cox.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BremanFan88 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (09-17-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I'd call to see what the Rockies want for Tulo. Still think Simmons would be a hell of a starting point for him.
    thank you weso1!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

bravesfanforlife88 (09-16-2014)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    I don't think the Braves will fire Fredi.

He has one more year on his deal.
    Forever Fredi

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    If Fredi isn't fired, I may not watch next year

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (09-17-2014), jason27nc (09-17-2014)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Applaud the effort. Don't agree with much that you said. Right now I have next to zero interest in potential changes. For starters I don't think there is going to much different heading into the 2015 season. Secondly I just don't care anymore.
    I care, but I agree with applauding the effort.

If there aren't changes, fans will become more apathetic. Goofy, impulsive changes will make fans angry. Tough place for Wren to be and given his record in the "big change" department, I'm pretty nervous. Things will unfold the way they unfold. Biggest error in judgment to this point was not trading for Span or Revere and signing B.J. Upton to the baseball equivalent of Fort Knox.

PS--I wouldn't bring Doumit back unless J. Upton or Heyward is traded. He's not going to get enough ABs to stay sharp if they aren't. The acquisition of Bonifacio--which I strongly supported--has been puzzling. They get him and then they don't really play him. For the life of me, I cannot fathom the length of the leash provided to M. Upton this season. I get that they wanted to give Uggla every opportunity to right himself (although I thought the effort went on too long), but M. Upton has really been given more than ample opportunity to prove his ineptitude.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 09-17-2014 at 09:42 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    1. Trade BJ Upton & Craig Kimbrel to Tigers for nothing other than salary relief.

2. Promote Jorden Walden to closer. Shae Simmons to set up man

3. Trade Chris Johnson for any bullpen arm you can find

4. Offer Santana QO

With these moves, we clear a ton of salary, and don't make our team much worse.

We then go to work on extensions and finding a good outfielder. Plug Peraza in at 3rd base.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (09-17-2014)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Ross wants to play one more season...

"David Ross would like to return to Boston, he tells Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald, but he knows that might not be in the cards. “I feel like if they really want me, they might’ve already come to me,” says Ross. The Red Sox are impressed with Christian Vasquez‘s glove behind the plate but may well feel the need to get more offense from their backstops, Lauber writes. Ross is hitting just .185/.264/.356 in 165 plate appearances this season. Lauber adds that Ross would like to play at least one more season for a contending team."
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    1. Trade BJ Upton & Craig Kimbrel to Tigers for nothing other than salary relief.

2. Promote Jorden Walden to closer. Shae Simmons to set up man

3. Trade Chris Johnson for any bullpen arm you can find

4. Offer Santana QO

With these moves, we clear a ton of salary, and don't make our team much worse.

We then go to work on extensions and finding a good outfielder. Plug Peraza in at 3rd base.
    Cancel the new stadium today and move the team to Charlotte or Jacksonville. Then use all the materials that was going into Sun Trust Stadium to build the new park in the new city. Go ahead and hire all new staff members and coaches. We need a new look from top to bottom. We can also hold a tryout to fill Bj spot on the roster because 99% of the participates will give more effort. Oh and if we get a Little League catcher they can block up the plate better than Gattis.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to jason27nc For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (09-17-2014)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    No offense clv I'd fire you in a heart beat for trading Jason for Joey Gallo. As someone who wanted the Braves to draft gallo, I want no part of him, his power is legit, but he's been regularly striking out over 30% in the minors. that doesn't bode well for the majors. If all we can get for Jason is Gallo we're much better off keeping him and letting him go for a frist round pick which has as much chance to bust as Gallo does.

I think Wren's priority this offseason is to address Jason, Justin and Ervin. Get them under contract if possible, if not then make a QO to Santana and collect the first round pick or sign him for a 1 year again. If Jason doesn't extend we have our CF for next year. put the mileage on his body with no long term risks to the franchise. If Justin doesn't extend we keep him and if things look dicey at the deadline we deal him if we get a strong enough offer. Jason and justin are too importnat for 2015 to let them leave.

We need to address the catcher position. We have 2 guys who have a legit shout at starting. The massively underrated and over injured Gattis and the prospect Bethancourt. I'd shop both and see what the return would be. I kind of like the idea of pairing Bethancourt with Bossman for Buehrle. I'd see what other prospects I'd have to do.

Assuming that we extended Jason, and trade Bossman we have a need for CF.I would inquire about Bourn and see what it would take to get him. BRantley seems fine in CF and they'd have a shot to shed some salary. Lets say they trade Bourn for Martin and a reliever.

Then I'd dump Johnson's salary. Find anyone willing to take it on for anything I can get in return.

I think that's mroe than enough moves for one offseason. Assuming Santana stays and everything happens I realy would like our chances in 2014, we would for sure hav eto change the Lineup or have a manager not afraid to have 3 lefties in a row to start.

CF - Bourn
    RF - Jason
    LF - Justin
    1B - Freddie
    C - Gattis
    2B - TLS
    SS - Simmons
    P
    3B - Peraza (if he proves his worth as a hitter I'd move him up to 2 to balance L/R but that's a massive if.

Bench

Backup C (don't really care but I'd try to bring Ross back)
    Terds
    Cunningham
    Pena
    Gosselin(Key being bench, leave him there, have him spell Peraza and TLS when they're facing tough pitchers)

Rotation
    Minor
    Julio
    Buehrle
    Santana
    Wood

Pen
    Kimbrel
    Walden
    Simmons
    Carpenter
    Russell
    Avilan
    Varvaro

And sturg, that team is much much worse. We don't know if Peraza will contribute anything offensively, and more importantly we're replacing the best closer in baseball with a guy who can't stay healthy, and while Simmons could for sure improve, he was quite pedestrian this year, I'm not willing to assume that Kibmrel is expendable cause we have a kid with a live arm that was just injured. In his small sample (what reliever doesn't have one though) Simmons had a higher FIP than Ian Thomas, Russell, Walden, Carpenter, and Shreve. Basically on par with Varvaro.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    No offense clv I'd fire you in a heart beat for trading Jason for Joey Gallo. As someone who wanted the Braves to draft gallo, I want no part of him, his power is legit, but he's been regularly striking out over 30% in the minors. that doesn't bode well for the majors. If all we can get for Jason is Gallo we're much better off keeping him and letting him go for a frist round pick which has as much chance to bust as Gallo does.

I think Wren's priority this offseason is to address Jason, Justin and Ervin. Get them under contract if possible, if not then make a QO to Santana and collect the first round pick or sign him for a 1 year again. If Jason doesn't extend we have our CF for next year. put the mileage on his body with no long term risks to the franchise. If Justin doesn't extend we keep him and if things look dicey at the deadline we deal him if we get a strong enough offer. Jason and justin are too importnat for 2015 to let them leave.

We need to address the catcher position. We have 2 guys who have a legit shout at starting. The massively underrated and over injured Gattis and the prospect Bethancourt. I'd shop both and see what the return would be. I kind of like the idea of pairing Bethancourt with Bossman for Buehrle. I'd see what other prospects I'd have to do.

Assuming that we extended Jason, and trade Bossman we have a need for CF.I would inquire about Bourn and see what it would take to get him. BRantley seems fine in CF and they'd have a shot to shed some salary. Lets say they trade Bourn for Martin and a reliever.

Then I'd dump Johnson's salary. Find anyone willing to take it on for anything I can get in return.

I think that's mroe than enough moves for one offseason. Assuming Santana stays and everything happens I realy would like our chances in 2014, we would for sure hav eto change the Lineup or have a manager not afraid to have 3 lefties in a row to start.

CF - Bourn
    RF - Jason
    LF - Justin
    1B - Freddie
    C - Gattis
    2B - TLS
    SS - Simmons
    P
    3B - Peraza (if he proves his worth as a hitter I'd move him up to 2 to balance L/R but that's a massive if.

Bench

Backup C (don't really care but I'd try to bring Ross back)
    Terds
    Cunningham
    Pena
    Gosselin(Key being bench, leave him there, have him spell Peraza and TLS when they're facing tough pitchers)

Rotation
    Minor
    Julio
    Buehrle
    Santana
    Wood

Pen
    Kimbrel
    Walden
    Simmons
    Carpenter
    Russell
    Avilan
    Varvaro

And sturg, that team is much much worse. We don't know if Peraza will contribute anything offensively, and more importantly we're replacing the best closer in baseball with a guy who can't stay healthy, and while Simmons could for sure improve, he was quite pedestrian this year, I'm not willing to assume that Kibmrel is expendable cause we have a kid with a live arm that was just injured. In his small sample (what reliever doesn't have one though) Simmons had a higher FIP than Ian Thomas, Russell, Walden, Carpenter, and Shreve. Basically on par with Varvaro.
    I wasn't suggesting that is where the moves stop. I'd say that's where they start.

Trading Kimbrel, BJ, and Johnson clears nearly $35M in annual salary. And all we really got worse on was closer. We probably get better by default at 3rd and center, no matter who we plug in. But obviously we use the $35M to go plug those gaps.