Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detroit??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

Detroit??

In the 70's with much hand wringing Gerald Ford pushed to keep NYC solvent.
    I think we as a nation should get behind Detroit.

What say you?????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Until people move back to Detroit its hopeless. Not sure how to make it attractive again but they are less than 50% occupancy in the city from what I read.

High School Draftee kingphatcow's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    let it go bankrupt. it's so liberal/union/corrupt that we might as well just set our money on fire.
    Not as smart as Meta, but way smarter than Zito.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Without money coming in, its throwing good money after bad.
    Ivermectin Man

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Let it tank. Eventually hipsters will go there and gentrify the **** out of that place. Look at Brooklyn. 20 years ago place was a ****hole, now it's one of the richer areas out there.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    ...and the people living there? How do they live, who collects the trash -patrols the streets - keeps the lights on?

or do we leave them the way New Orleans was left during Katrina:
    Are we Americans? Are we a United States or every man for himself?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Let it tank. Eventually hipsters will go there and gentrify the **** out of that place. Look at Brooklyn. 20 years ago place was a ****hole, now it's one of the richer areas out there.
    good point- but like one person above said, how do you attract people? Brooklyn has the highest real estate ranges in the country across the river --- to attract people

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Basic local services should continue during the bankruptcy. At least one would hope so.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    good point- but like one person above said, how do you attract people? Brooklyn has the highest real estate ranges in the country across the river --- to attract people
    Hipsters find their way. It will happen. They find pretty much any other city. Heck a nearby Hipster haven of Minneapolis and Chicago would probably lose a few. Portland isn't by anything and it's arguably the biggest hipster city in the world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    When all the property is cheap enough, someone will buy. Always happens and they aren't making more land last I checked.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    When all the property is cheap enough, someone will buy. Always happens and they aren't making more land last I checked.
    Yup. Someone will buy up healthy chunks of the city then others will follow. If I had the money I'd buy up some of the old Detroit mansions. Not to mention eventually the city/state will make itself more corporate friendly moving jobs there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    and this:

By focusing the blame for Detroit’s bankruptcy solely on workers’ pensions, rather than having a more comprehensive discussion that includes both pension benefits and corporate giveaways, the right can engineer the political environment for the truly immoral reality mentioned at the beginning of this article — the one highlighted this week by the Associated Press story headlined “Arena Likely Still On Track, Business As Usual For Sports Teams Despite Bankruptcy Filing.” Yes, that’s correct: at the same time government officials are talking about slashing the meager $19,000-a-year pensions of workers who don’t get Social Security, those officials are promising that they will still go forward with a plan to spend a whopping $283 million of taxpayer money on a new stadium for the Red Wings.

http://www.salon.com/2013/07/23/dont...about_detroit/

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (07-24-2013), jpx7 (07-23-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    This is great

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    and this:

By focusing the blame for Detroit’s bankruptcy solely on workers’ pensions, rather than having a more comprehensive discussion that includes both pension benefits and corporate giveaways, the right can engineer the political environment for the truly immoral reality mentioned at the beginning of this article — the one highlighted this week by the Associated Press story headlined “Arena Likely Still On Track, Business As Usual For Sports Teams Despite Bankruptcy Filing.” Yes, that’s correct: at the same time government officials are talking about slashing the meager $19,000-a-year pensions of workers who don’t get Social Security, those officials are promising that they will still go forward with a plan to spend a whopping $283 million of taxpayer money on a new stadium for the Red Wings.

I like that the writer invented a strawman argument from the right and then made a really long article bashing that argument. Seems like it would've saved him some time if he just wouldn't have invented that strawman argument in the first place.
    thank you weso1!

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    910 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    I like that the writer invented a strawman argument from the right and then made a really long article bashing that argument. Seems like it would've saved him some time if he just wouldn't have invented that strawman argument in the first place.
    That's just good journalism right there

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Well Obama said he wasn't going to let it go bankrupt during the election campaign, so we should be good, right? Right?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    and this:

I think the problem in a lot of American cities is that changing patterns of work and development have robbed cities of a ton of tax base and left them with a dwindling tax base to maintain the necessary funding structure. I can't remark about other states, but in Minnesota, public workers have long contributed to their own pension and health benefits which is different than in many other states/cities experiencing problems. But police and fire are necessary expenditures and pension costs are a legitimate part of that. That doesn't mean contribution rates and benefit structures shouldn't be explored, but I'm willing to provide incentives for those folks who want to put their lives on the line in service of the community.

The other side of the coin though (and here is where a ton of cities make a ton of mistakes) is the give-aways to corporations to re-locate into a city. With increasing competition for corporate presence, those deals rarely pay off as there is always someone willing to under-bid for a company or corporate reorganizations move a corporate presence before the incentives have paid for themselves. And stadiums, arenas, and other entertainment centers don't provide stable economic development past the construction of said facilities. What has saved us in the Twin Cities is that the "money" has stayed in town. There are strong middle class communities within the Twin Cities (and more than a smattering of rich folks) that are willing to pay for a certain basket of public goods. It appears to me (and I could easily be wrong) that all the "money" has left Detroit. The big bucks to the Gross Pointe family of suburbs and the middle class to places like Livonia, Novi, Taylor and other mid-priced venues. And when income leaves, property values dwindle. That hasn't left much in Detroit.

I don't know what to do, but the solution is going to have to go beyond the simplistic which both sides tend to employ.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-24-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    If you bail out Detroit, don't you risk setting the precedence of bailing out any big city that manages their money poorly? I'm guessing those in California will be eagerly watching how this is handled. I hope we don't bail out Detroit but with the current President and Congress, I just know it's coming.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CK86 View Post
    If you bail out Detroit, don't you risk setting the precedence of bailing out any big city that manages their money poorly? I'm guessing those in California will be eagerly watching how this is handled. I hope we don't bail out Detroit but with the current President and Congress, I just know it's coming.
    Yeah, Congress is really on board with the President's agenda.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CK86 View Post
    NYC was bailed out in the 1970s, so there is a precedent. The problem is in this instance is that there is a difference in degree of the current state of affairs and the prospects for the future than what existed in the case of NYC.