Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pedroia/McCann

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    The buzz was we offered Upton somewhere between $2M and $3M more per year than anyone else was offering. One can decry the whole Upton signing, but for me it's more about the appearance that we were bidding against ourselves and threw dollars that will be needed elsewhere into his contract. McCann may be test case number one on that theory. Maybe we can unload Uggla.
    BJ was too much money and looks awful now. But at the time we had a massive hole in CF and 3B. We had to fill it. Nobody thought Schafer was a viable option. Bourn was going to wait until the end. We needed to fill a whole so we could have enough knowledge to intelligently fill the other hole. If the Jup trade was available earlier in the year (wasn't b/c Az wanted more=Simmons), then I'd hate on the BJ signing. But we had to fill CF and go from there. If Bourn had known what the market was, maybe he'd of stayed in ATL.

Uggla needs to go. Not so much b/c of his performance, he's not terrible in $/WAR, but b/c he doesn't fit. We have too many sluggers. I think a LaStella (assuming he is decent in pros) is exactly the type of guy we need at 2B. We might have to get creative to move him. I think it's possible we make a BIG move this offseason with Heyward (if he says he's 100% going to FA) or Kimbrel. In that trade we might get someone to take Uggla.

Mac I'd love to keep. I'm not sure Gattis is a starter. And even if he is he's another slugger type. Maybe Mac takes a home town discount. Maybe Mac would take an incentive based contract in the last couple of years to protect vs injury. I'm not sure how creative the Braves would be.

If we hold steady for the most part (no buy out of Kimbrel, Heyward, Freeman, Minor, etc), then what about paying Mac 20-25 million next year? Contract is 5/75.
    Year 1: 25---10 million signing bonus
    Year 2: 15
    Year 3: 13
    Year 4: 12
    Year 5: 10---------by this time it's still reasonable that McCann is a 2 WAR player. Plus inflation, etc 10 million isn't terrible. He'd be very tradeable

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    McCann has been probably our best hitter since he's came back. His numbers are really really good considering the AB's he's had. Also, Gattis has shown that he doesn't do well with the off-speed stuff so it's going to be a tough call on B-Mac's contract.

P.S.-I was ajgoldglove25 on the other site

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Teheran_49 For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (07-24-2013)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    BJ was too much money and looks awful now. But at the time we had a massive hole in CF and 3B. We had to fill it. Nobody thought Schafer was a viable option. Bourn was going to wait until the end. We needed to fill a whole so we could have enough knowledge to intelligently fill the other hole. If the Jup trade was available earlier in the year (wasn't b/c Az wanted more=Simmons), then I'd hate on the BJ signing. But we had to fill CF and go from there. If Bourn had known what the market was, maybe he'd of stayed in ATL.

Uggla needs to go. Not so much b/c of his performance, he's not terrible in $/WAR, but b/c he doesn't fit. We have too many sluggers. I think a LaStella (assuming he is decent in pros) is exactly the type of guy we need at 2B. We might have to get creative to move him. I think it's possible we make a BIG move this offseason with Heyward (if he says he's 100% going to FA) or Kimbrel. In that trade we might get someone to take Uggla.

Mac I'd love to keep. I'm not sure Gattis is a starter. And even if he is he's another slugger type. Maybe Mac takes a home town discount. Maybe Mac would take an incentive based contract in the last couple of years to protect vs injury. I'm not sure how creative the Braves would be.

If we hold steady for the most part (no buy out of Kimbrel, Heyward, Freeman, Minor, etc), then what about paying Mac 20-25 million next year? Contract is 5/75.
    Year 1: 25---10 million signing bonus
    Year 2: 15
    Year 3: 13
    Year 4: 12
    Year 5: 10---------by this time it's still reasonable that McCann is a 2 WAR player. Plus inflation, etc 10 million isn't terrible. He'd be very tradeable
    On Upton, I was trying to reference the $3 million per year difference between what we offered him and what others were supposedly offering. I wasn't nuts about the Upton signing, but knew we needed a CF. I just think we went a bit too high in landing him.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    On Upton, I was trying to reference the $3 million per year difference between what we offered him and what others were supposedly offering. I wasn't nuts about the Upton signing, but knew we needed a CF. I just think we went a bit too high in landing him.
    I agree....I think most thought it was too much, but not by a ton.........now it looks like a killer