Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What about Josh Donaldson?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts

What about Josh Donaldson?

Heard the A's may trade him to get max value. He's not a FA until 2019 and kills the ball. He strikes out some but has legit power. It would a good option if we had to end up trading J UP or Gattis this off season bc he would replace their power that would be lost and he'd be here for the next 4-5 years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    I would LOVE Josh Donaldson. He's a leader, good defensively, clutch, and obviously more than good offensively.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (10-03-2014)

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Heard the A's may trade him to get max value. He's not a FA until 2019 and kills the ball. He strikes out some but has legit power. It would a good option if we had to end up trading J UP or Gattis this off season bc he would replace their power that would be lost and he'd be here for the next 4-5 years.
    I wouldn't be oppose to it as long as CJ/BJ is sent packing as well.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    To get Donaldson we are looking at a package that starts with Gattis and Peraza, then add in some pitching. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but I think folks need to realize how steep the price to acquire him would be.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-02-2014)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory BlackwaterPark's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Gattis/BJ/Johnson/Pereaza for Donaldson and OFlaherty :)

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackwaterPark View Post
    Gattis/BJ/Johnson/Pereaza for Donaldson and OFlaherty :)
    where do I sign?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I wouldn't be opposed to trading Peraza for him bc we have Gosselin and LaStella. I know neither are leadoff hitters but we could get that in CF if we can unload BJ. Donaldson is a beast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    We might match up with the A's, but not in a way that involves Donaldson.

They have a surplus of starting pitching with Griffin and Parker coming back. We have a need for a starting pitcher.

They have a need at middle infield. We have some spare parts at the position: La Stella, Pastornicky, Gosselin, Pena and Elmer Reyes.

They also might have an interest in a catcher.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    U said they need a MIF and C. Peraza and Gattis/Bethancourt fit that profile. Donaldson and a SP for Peraza, Gattis/Bethancourt, and one other piece. If Gattis and Peraza go in the same package then I'd say take CJ back to.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    We might match up with the A's, but not in a way that involves Donaldson.

They have a surplus of starting pitching with Griffin and Parker coming back. We have a need for a starting pitcher.

They have a need at middle infield. We have some spare parts at the position: La Stella, Pastornicky, Gosselin, Pena and Elmer Reyes.

They also might have an interest in a catcher.
    What about a mega-deal that includes Andrelton Simmons? I think from the A's perspective, the discussion probably starts there if Donaldson is to be involved. Of course, that leaves us with a huge hole at SS.

I'm curious to see how the A's approach Jed Lowrie. I've never liked him as a starter, but he could be a very good 300 AB/3 IF position guy.

I can't think of many MLB teams that will have more interesting off-seasons than the A's and Braves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    What about a mega-deal that includes Andrelton Simmons? I think from the A's perspective, the discussion probably starts there if Donaldson is to be involved. Of course, that leaves us with a huge hole at SS.

I'm curious to see how the A's approach Jed Lowrie. I've never liked him as a starter, but he could be a very good 300 AB/3 IF position guy.

I can't think of many MLB teams that will have more interesting off-seasons than the A's and Braves.
    Lowrie is free agent. I think they may have interest in bringing back but more as a second baseman. For SS they might look at a bounce back candidate like Stephen Drew.

Donaldson for Simmons would plug one hole for each team while opening another. Donaldson is the better and more valuable player. But he is older and he is going to get expensive even if his club takes him year-to-year for arbitration. In general I'm leery of the age curves for late bloomer types.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    The players I think the A's would value more than most teams = Stella! and Heyward.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Lowrie is free agent. I think they may have interest in bringing back but more as a second baseman. For SS they might look at a bounce back candidate like Stephen Drew.

Donaldson for Simmons would plug one hole for each team while opening another. Donaldson is the better and more valuable player. But he is older and he is going to get expensive even if his club takes him year-to-year for arbitration. In general I'm leery of the age curves for late bloomer types.
    Lowrie is a free agent, as you say (which I knew), but I wonder if the A's will seek to bring him back and what price he will command? He's below average defensively and had a terrible year with the bat.

PS--Your comments on Donaldson being a late bloomer give me some pause as well. I'm not saying "Here comes Uggla Part Deux," but you do have to be careful with guys that come out of nowhere. That said, Donaldson has had two really solid seasons in 2013 and 2014.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Lowrie is a free agent, as you say (which I knew), but I wonder if the A's will seek to bring him back and what price he will command? He's below average defensively and had a terrible year with the bat.

PS--Your comments on Donaldson being a late bloomer give me some pause as well. I'm not saying "Here comes Uggla Part Deux," but you do have to be careful with guys that come out of nowhere. That said, Donaldson has had two really solid seasons in 2013 and 2014.
    His error in the Wild Card game probably guaranteed that they will not be going after him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    The players I think the A's would value more than most teams = Stella! and Heyward.
    You might be right there. I like Stella but don't love him the way some others around here do. A team like the A's might be a good fit for him.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    LaStella/Gattis/CJ for Donaldson....

Sign me up!!!

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    He'd be an improvement over CJohnson, that's for sure. Of course watch his K% go from 18.5 to something like 24% in Atlanta.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    La Stella is a great fit for the A's. He's the type of player they always seem to have and fills a need. I think Gattis/La Stella/CJ is a solid offer. Maybe another prospect.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emk418 For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (10-02-2014), UNCBlue012 (10-03-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Between Peraza, CJ and Kubitza, I'm not uncomfortable with our 3rd base options going into 2015. I think CJ's true level is somewhere near the mid-point of his 2013 and 2014 seasons.

Kubitza had an unsustainable BABIP this year. But even if you assume regression in the BABIP to career norms, the walk rate and hints of power make him an intriguing prospect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    They don't want CJ. Any trade involving him going to the A's probably isn't going to work. He's pretty much the opposite of what they are looking for.