Thread: Simmons returns to form in September

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

Simmons returns to form in September

It went unnoticed because of the dreadful finish to the Braves’ season, but Andrelton Simmons was selected as the major league Defensive Player of the Month in September by ESPN.com’s Sweet Spot blog. It was the first time he won the honor this season after dominating it in 2013.

Braves right fielder Jason Heyward led the majors in Defensive Runs Saved with 32 in 2014, while Simmons ended up tied with splendid Mets center fielder Juan Lagares for second place with 28….

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I understand everyone (writers and fans alike) dreaming up trade scenarios involving Heyward and Simmons that would hopefully make this team better moving forward, it's part of being a fan (and I'm doing it too). That said, I absolutely cringe every time I start to imagine how bad this season would've been without them whether you personally believed their offensive contributions were acceptable or not.

The team was outscored 573-597. Heyward and Simmons scored 20.59% of the team's runs (74 and 44 respectively). The opposition averaged 3.69 runs/game against us. Without the 60 runs the two of them saved, that number would've been 4.06 runs/game.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

goldfly (10-09-2014), jpx7 (10-09-2014)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    If you think about it, any two players who play every day should account for 25% of the runs scored. Your second point is valid in the fact that 60 runs saved is as good as 60 runs created, though I still question the validity of the rating of outfield defense. In my book a middle infielder's defense is always more valuable than a corner outfielder's.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherders View Post
    If you think about it, any two players who play every day should account for 25% of the runs scored. Your second point is valid in the fact that 60 runs saved is as good as 60 runs created, though I still question the validity of the rating of outfield defense. In my book a middle infielder's defense is always more valuable than a corner outfielder's.
    On what planet? Even if you made it through a 162 game schedule with the SAME 8 position players playing every inning of every game (Freddie Freeman), that wouldn't be the case. Teheran (1), Santana (7), Wood (1), Minor (4), and Harang (2) combined to score 15 runs (2.6%) without anyone else contributing anything. Of course when you add Laird's 12, Bethancourt's 7, Bonifacio's 12, and Gosselin's 17 that translates to 10.99% of the total the team scored WITHOUT counting Schafer (9) and Uggla's (13) contributions.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    On what planet? Even if you made it through a 162 game schedule with the SAME 8 position players playing every inning of every game (Freddie Freeman), that wouldn't be the case. Teheran (1), Santana (7), Wood (1), Minor (4), and Harang (2) combined to score 15 runs (2.6%) without anyone else contributing anything. Of course when you add Laird's 12, Bethancourt's 7, Bonifacio's 12, and Gosselin's 17 that translates to 10.99% of the total the team scored WITHOUT counting Schafer (9) and Uggla's (13) contributions.

On this planet. While 25 percent may be a little high for any two random players, 20% is easily attainable for any 2 random players who start in at least 140 games.

Hell for that matter, BJ and CJ come in right at 19% with 32 less plate appearances than Heyward and Simmons.
    Last edited by Carp; 10-09-2014 at 01:14 AM.

Playing the Waiting Game BremanFan88's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    216 Posts
    Kind of a silly arguement. Runs aren't solely based on the player alone. With Heyward's base running ability he would of scored a lot more runs with someone better than BJ(while leading off) and The Double Play Party(while batting 5th) hitting behind him.
    All you need is Hart and Cox.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    Yes. A good baserunner should score a run about 40% of the time he gets on base. With our dysfunctional offense it only happened with one player: BJ Upton. Everyone else was below 35%, and CJ at 24%.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    How good does Andrelton's 7/$58 million look now that we've got J. J. Hardy's new 3/$40 million extension to compare it to???

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

holden (10-09-2014), Julio3000 (10-09-2014)