Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Teams Do We Match Up With?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

Which Teams Do We Match Up With?

Characteristics we should looking for in a dance partner: teams in need of a catcher, teams with a bad contract that they would be interested in exchanging with us for one of ours, teams with an extra starting pitcher, teams that have an interest in a center fielder and might be willing to take on a reclamation project.

There has already been some speculation about specific teams. I summarize below and add a couple others that haven't been mentioned much. Please add your names.

1) The Cubs. The Edwin Jackson for Melvin trade will probably be discussed this off-season. Cubs have a strong farm system, but would have interest in a young catcher or pitchers such as Martin and Hursh.

2) Blue Jays. With Rasmus hitting free agency they have a hole in center. Would have interest in a young catcher. Have a couple veteran pitchers with significant salaries (Dickey, Buehrle) they may be willing to part with.

3) Dodgers. Might be willing to trade one of their extra corner outfielders for someone who can play center. Given the contracts involved can the financial aspects be adjusted in a way that would help us. Andrew Friedman knows Melvin well from their Tampa days. Does that make him more or less interested in such a deal?

4) White Sox. Could use a catcher. Have some pitchers who could help us.

5) Pirates. Will need a catcher if Martin leaves. Have lots of attractive young players in the majors and minors.

6) Rays. Could use a catcher. Would they consider moving Wil Myers?
    Last edited by nsacpi; 10-22-2014 at 09:30 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (10-22-2014), JohnAdcox (10-22-2014), jpx7 (10-22-2014), UNCBlue012 (10-22-2014)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    The Braves also have somewhat of a surplus in the BP, so an arm like Walden or Simmons could be sent to a team looking for top shelf BP help.

Add teams with extra OFers like the Cards and Red Sox since BJ must be replaced no matter where he ends up.

The Reds might be looking to deal one of their starters who are only controlled through 2015 (Cueto, Latos, Leake).

The Mets might be willing to deal Neise (longshot) and Colon to free up cash to fix other areas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    In general, I'd rather keep Gattis and trade Bethancourt.

But Gattis for Wil Myers is one trade I'd seriously entertain. Would make sense for both teams. Getting Myers would open up some other trade possibilities.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-22-2014), UNCBlue012 (10-22-2014)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    In general, I'd rather keep Gattis and trade Bethancourt.

But Gattis for Wil Myers is one trade I'd seriously entertain. Would make sense for both teams. Getting Myers would open up some other trade possibilities.
    Obviously I would love that but there's no way we're getting Wil Myers for Gattis. Not even close.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Another interesting team is the Indians. They have Brantley and Bourn locked into the OF, and may be looking to take a shot at the division next year by improving RF/DH. The problem for them is they can't really take on anything more than a 1 year contract, so a guy like Heyward or Justin might be exactly what they need.

They have a couple young OFers in the minors that look interesting:

Tyler Naquin (CF, 23, AA): .313 BA, .371 OBP
    James Ramsey (CF, 24, AA/AAA): .295 BA, .382 OBP, .509 SLG, 16 HRs

They could possibly trade one of those guys for Heyward/Justin for 2015, offer the QO and recover the draft pick after 2015, and then plug whichever guy they didn't trade into the OF for 2016.

They might also be interested in giving up one of those guys for Gattis so they could use him at DH and backup C.

Either of those two players could slide in CF to replace BJ. If Heyward or Justin are used in such a trade then there is obviously still another hole in the OF.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Another interesting team is the Indians. They have Brantley and Bourn locked into the OF, and may be looking to take a shot at the division next year by improving RF/DH. The problem for them is they can't really take on anything more than a 1 year contract, so a guy like Heyward or Justin might be exactly what they need.

They have a couple young OFers in the minors that look interesting:

Tyler Naquin (CF, 23, AA): .313 BA, .371 OBP
    James Ramsey (CF, 24, AA/AAA): .295 BA, .382 OBP, .509 SLG, 16 HRs

They could possibly trade one of those guys for Heyward/Justin for 2015, offer the QO and recover the draft pick after 2015, and then plug whichever guy they didn't trade into the OF for 2016.

They might also be interested in giving up one of those guys for Gattis so they could use him at DH and backup C.

Either of those two players could slide in CF to replace BJ. If Heyward or Justin are used in such a trade then there is obviously still another hole in the OF.
    Since the Cubs were able to get Addison Russell (top 10 prospect, potential future star) from Oakland for 1 1/2 seasons of Samardzija, I'd hope we can do similarly as good if we gave up Heyward/Upton. Naquin and Ramsey don't really fit that mold.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-22-2014)

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    Obviously I would love that but there's no way we're getting Wil Myers for Gattis. Not even close.
    Eh. So throw in BJ.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnAdcox For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (10-22-2014)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Since the Cubs were able to get Addison Russell (top 10 prospect, potential future star) from Oakland for 1 1/2 seasons of Samardzija, I'd hope we can do similarly as good if we gave up Heyward/Upton. Naquin and Ramsey don't really fit that mold.
    Agreed: any package for Heyward or Upton would have to include a lot more value than just one of those two guys.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    That was a bad trade by the A's. Those kinds of overpays don't happen every day.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    I'm not saying in a bigger trade with Gattis/Heyward/Upton but I would love to try and buy low on Jackie Bradley from Boston. He could use a change of scenery and plays incredible defense in CF. Has some talent offensively but obviously needs work.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    That was a bad trade by the A's. Those kinds of overpays don't happen every day.
    Perhaps; but if the Braves can't secure that kind of overpay, they'd be better off holding onto each of Upton and Heyward, and either resigning them both or recouping the draft pick(s).
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Perhaps; but if the Braves can't secure that kind of overpay, they'd be better off holding onto each of Upton and Heyward, and either resigning them both or recouping the draft pick(s).
    I agree. Justin and Jason are two of our best players. I would want something special in return.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Altoona Curve. Erie SeaWolves. New Hampshire Fisher Cats. Trenton Thunder. Those immediately come to mind as teams near our level that will be willing to work with us.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I think we match up with the A's if we want to do some things around the edges.

I'm not advocating trading either Heyward or J. Upton, but if we do, what about moving some of our middle IF surplus (thinking La Stella or someone in our high minors) for somebody like John Jaso. Stick Gattis as a part-timer in LF and give him some time at C. It would probably have to be a bigger deal than that, but there are some possibilities. A's are in dire need of middle IF help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I like the Cubs idea bc it kills 2 birds with 1 stone. We need another starter and we rid ourselves of BJ at the same time. Then the Gattis deal and Myers. Not sure if TB would let him go but maybe a new GM wouldn't be as stingy as AF was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    We do have a decent assortment of utility infielder types: Gosselin, Pastornicky, Reyes and Castro. But none of them would be the centerpiece of a deal. La Stella has a bit more potential, but I'd like to keep him and see what he can do in a full season. Peraza has even more potential. At the end of the day I think he will be our center fielder and top of the order catalyst.
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I think we match up with the A's if we want to do some things around the edges.

I'm not advocating trading either Heyward or J. Upton, but if we do, what about moving some of our middle IF surplus (thinking La Stella or someone in our high minors) for somebody like John Jaso. Stick Gattis as a part-timer in LF and give him some time at C. It would probably have to be a bigger deal than that, but there are some possibilities. A's are in dire need of middle IF help.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Myers isnt getting dealt for Gattis, stop it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    The Blue Jays trade for Estrada increases the chances the will trade away Buerhle or Dickey.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    The Blue Jays trade for Estrada increases the chances the will trade away Buerhle or Dickey.
    Could we possibly trade M. Upton and a prospect for Buerhle? We would have to send a pretty good prospect or have Upton drive the Brinks' truck of cash we'd need to send to rid us of his services, but is that even possible? Buerhle only has one year left on his contract and (Dickey has 2, but 2016 has a $1 million buyout) and it would be great to get rid of the financial commitment to M. Upton.

Playing the Waiting Game keithlaw's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Could we possibly trade M. Upton and a prospect for Buerhle? We would have to send a pretty good prospect or have Upton drive the Brinks' truck of cash we'd need to send to rid us of his services, but is that even possible? Buerhle only has one year left on his contract and (Dickey has 2, but 2016 has a $1 million buyout) and it would be great to get rid of the financial commitment to M. Upton.
    If we could get Buerhle for BJ and Sims with no cash included I would dance.