Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another reason I can't stand Bobby Cox!!!!

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Another reason I can't stand Bobby Cox!!!!

So Maddon is leaving the Rays which means if we would have let FG go like we should have we could have had a shot at Maddon.
    Who is a genius compared to FG.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11754873/tampa-bay-rays-manager-joe-maddon-exercises-opt-clause-leaving-team
    Last edited by Braves78; 10-24-2014 at 01:11 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves78 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (10-24-2014)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    People act like this guy walks on water for some reason.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Hey does compared to FG. Im not saying he is the best ever but if not for Cox we could have potentially had a huge upgrade.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Braves78 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (10-24-2014), jason27nc (10-24-2014)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    He opted out of his contract, but he is still managing the Rays in 2015.

Edit: scratch that, I misread the sentence. It says he will manage a team in 2015. Damn, he would have been great to get.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 10-24-2014 at 01:40 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (10-24-2014), jason27nc (10-24-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    If BJ of all players doesn't have a week for the ages --- who is Joe Maddon?

He says some cool **** to the press but his in game management isn't that different than Fredi . Players get out of Tampa tout suite. No home town discounts to stay and win under Maddon.

after growing up watching Gene Mauch am very leery of press proclaimed "managerial genius'" . LAst one Braves had ????? Chuck Tanner - remember?

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    We are going to keep fredi when Joe is out there and available. Awful
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

jason27nc (10-24-2014)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    People act like this guy walks on water for some reason.
    Bobby or Maddon?

Anyway, no one could have seen this coming. The Braves would likely have hired a new manager by now if Fredi had been let go.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Bobby or Maddon?

Anyway, no one could have seen this coming. The Braves would likely have hired a new manager by now if Fredi had been let go.
    We have yet to hire an actual gm
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    So we're going to blame Bobby Cox for Fredi Gonzalez not being fired in favor of hiring Joe Maddon.........................Even though nobody outside Tampa knew Maddon was available until about four hours ago.

Really? Come on now
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CrimsonCowboy For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (10-24-2014), Dalyn (10-24-2014), Metaphysicist (10-25-2014)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    So we're going to blame Bobby Cox for Fredi Gonzalez not being fired in favor of hiring Joe Maddon.........................Even though nobody outside Tampa knew Maddon was available until about four hours ago.

Really? Come on now
    Yes and no. We blame Bobby for Fredi not being fired but there is no way he knew Joe Maddon would be available. Plus, had Fredi been fired we may have already hired someone by now. So this thread is irrelevant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    If BJ of all players doesn't have a week for the ages --- who is Joe Maddon?

He says some cool **** to the press but his in game management isn't that different than Fredi . Players get out of Tampa tout suite. No home town discounts to stay and win under Maddon.

after growing up watching Gene Mauch am very leery of press proclaimed "managerial genius'" . LAst one Braves had ????? Chuck Tanner - remember?
    What about Longoria's extremely team friendly contract????

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Maddon is nothing special. A manager is only as good as his talent. Some of you just can't let go of the Fredi hate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    There are things all managers do in much the same way. It is why many people can't tell the difference between a good manager, average manager, and a bad manager. It's the few--often very subtle or behind the scenes--things managers do different--or just much better--that separates them. Maddon does those things at a higher level than Fredi, but it is a pointless discussion. The Braves would've never hired him.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

Metaphysicist (10-25-2014)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    Maddon is nothing special. A manager is only as good as his talent. Some of you just can't let go of the Fredi hate.
    Ok, I'll play your silly game. If a manager is only as good as his talent, why even have one? If you knew anything about coaching at all, you would know that a good manager gets the best out of his players. I can take a average team and coach circles around a lot of coaches with better talent.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    There are things all managers do in much the same way. It is why many people can't tell the difference between a good manager, average manager, and a bad manager. It's the few--often very subtle or behind the scenes--things managers do different--or just much better--that separates them. Maddon does those things at a higher level than Fredi, but it is a pointless discussion. The Braves would've never hired him.
    Well, the difference is that some guys think out of the box while others say "What box?" I've always thought the worst managers are the ones who are obviously managing; simply doing things just to do them, especially with in-game moves. If you hear a rumor that a guy is on the hot seat and then watch his games for the next week and he's putting on the hit & run and visibly moving guys all over the place at every opportunity, the guy is likely toast.

My biggest beef with Gonzalez is his use of the bullpen. I don't think there was much he could have done with the line-up this year. Everybody but Freeman and J. Upton were shuffled all over the batting order and nothing really worked consistently.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jason27nc View Post
    Ok, I'll play your silly game. If a manager is only as good as his talent, why even have one? If you knew anything about coaching at all, you would know that a good manager gets the best out of his players. I can take a average team and coach circles around a lot of coaches with better talent.
    At the big league level it's a little different because even the worst players are pretty good. I think coaching matters a lot more at the non-professional ranks, where a difference in the execution of fundamentals means much, much more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Well, the difference is that some guys think out of the box while others say "What box?" I've always thought the worst managers are the ones who are obviously managing; simply doing things just to do them, especially with in-game moves. If you hear a rumor that a guy is on the hot seat and then watch his games for the next week and he's putting on the hit & run and visibly moving guys all over the place at every opportunity, the guy is likely toast.

My biggest beef with Gonzalez is his use of the bullpen. I don't think there was much he could have done with the line-up this year. Everybody but Freeman and J. Upton were shuffled all over the batting order and nothing really worked consistently.
    There is absolutely something he could've done with the lineup. Not put 1 or 2 of our worst hitters at the top on a consistent basis. That's pretty obvious.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    There is absolutely something he could've done with the lineup. Not put 1 or 2 of our worst hitters at the top on a consistent basis. That's pretty obvious.
    Yeah, but they still would have been somewhere in the line-up killing rallies.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jason27nc View Post
    I know as much as you do, and it boils down to execution something that the Braves simply didn't do in 2014. You don't swing the bat for your players, catch the ball, or pitch it. The Braves talent pool succeeded above expectation in 2013 or maybe the Nats were just a bad team, but no manager I don't care what his name was in 2014 was going to to the playoffs with this team. It was clear early on that losing didn't bother these guys and maybe that falls on Fredi but the guys between the lines had a chance to do something about it. They failed. The big leagues should not be considered a teaching level, These are grown men with at least 15 years of organized ball under their belts It's reasonably clear that because of all organizational change something was not right.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Not going to get bent about it. If he had quit right after the season, and we blindly supported Fredi, it would have been irritating.

Not sure Maddon would mesh well with our upper leadership.