Thread: GM/Winter Meetings Thread

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Jon Heyman
    @JonHeymanCBS
    #marlins, stanton closing in on $325M, 13-year deal. expected to have no-trade and opt-out. story up soon on @CBSSportsMLB

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    And the Pirates nab A.J Burnett again for $8.5MM ... nice deal for them, especially seeing as Burnett took $5MM less than the player option he declined with Philly earlier this offseason. Nice to see that the desire to win still trumps the desire for money (not like A.J is hurting, anyways) ... sometimes.
    Always wanted Burnett in a Braves uniform, unfortunately it just never materialized.

If Burnett would have taken a few less dollars back in 2008 to sign with us instead of the Yanks I believe he would have solidified himself and lived off his potential and finally evolve into a top of the rotation starter. But I'm sure he had no regrets as he has a ring.

Currently for those dollars, I hope you took a hard look as he would have been a solid innings eating addition to go with our young guns, unless we off course are going to rebuild.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Jon Heyman
    @JonHeymanCBS
    #marlins, stanton closing in on $325M, 13-year deal. expected to have no-trade and opt-out. story up soon on @CBSSportsMLB
    The economics of baseball stink, absolutely stink!

Holy moly owners are idiots.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    Always wanted Burnett in a Braves uniform, unfortunately it just never materialized.

If Burnett would have taken a few less dollars back in 2008 to sign with us instead of the Yanks I believe he would have solidified himself and lived off his potential and finally evolve into a top of the rotation starter. But I'm sure he had no regrets as he has a ring.

Currently for those dollars, I hope you took a hard look as he would have been a solid innings eating addition to go with our young guns, unless we off course are going to rebuild.
    My guess is Burnett just wanted to play for the Pirates.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Marlins are going to regret that deal. Best chance they have is Stanton opts out before his knee goes to ****. These player only opt outs are going to be a serious problem in a few years. It is completely unfair to the team.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Yeah let's trade Heyward to the Cards, as it's not enough any more just seeing Wainwright over there.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sc1767 For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (11-18-2014)

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sc1767 View Post
    Yeah let's trade Heyward to the Cards, as it's not enough any more just seeing Wainwright over there.
    Heyward for Wainwright and Carpenter.

Last edited by bravesnumberone; 11-14-2014 at 07:18 PM.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    When the Marlins would spend that much $$$ on one player and the Braves might just be headed for a barely competitive team via fire sale...

well, let's just say I see little winged piggies out my window while a blizzard rages in the underworld!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Not big enough market to compete with big market payrolls and too big to get compensation picks. Even the Cardinals get comp picks.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Russell Martin's deal is an interesting early marker. 82M over 5 years. He projects to be about an 11 WAR player over that period. So the Blue Jays are paying about 7M/win. Last off-season the going rate for pitchers in the early months of free agency was about 6M/projected win and for hitters about 5M/projected win. Martin's contract might just represent the scarcity at catcher. But it will be interesting to see if the glut in pitching that I discussed in another thread works to depress pitcher prices relative to hitter prices. There does seem to be a difference in the distribution of pitching talent relative to hitting talent that has emerged in recent years that would seem to work in favor of pushing up the prices of hitters relative to pitchers. It seems easier to find a bargain pitcher (such as Harang for us last year) than to find a similarly productive hitter off the scrap heap.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-18-2014)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Russell Martin's deal is an interesting early marker. 82M over 5 years. He projects to be about an 11 WAR player over that period. So the Blue Jays are paying about 7M/win. Last off-season the going rate for pitchers in the early months of free agency was about 6M/projected win and for hitters about 5M/projected win. Martin's contract might just represent the scarcity at catcher. But it will be interesting to see if the glut in pitching that I discussed in another thread works to depress pitcher prices relative to hitter prices. There does seem to be a difference in the distribution of pitching talent relative to hitting talent that has emerged in recent years that would seem to work in favor of pushing up the prices of hitters relative to pitchers. It seems easier to find a bargain pitcher (such as Harang for us last year) than to find a similarly productive hitter off the scrap heap.
    Quality catching is scarce, but if Russell Effin' Martin is getting $16 M per year it must be a sign that the Western economy is overheating or something. I never worshiped Schuerholz, but his comments about the economics of baseball stinking were not only prescient, they were an understatement. We've gone from stinking to full-on toxic cloud.

At least Martin has two middle names, one of them extremely cool.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    I was literally in shock over the Martin deal. That is insane.

And people think Desmond was dumb for turning down a 5/90 million dollar extension?
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Tigers may be shopping David Price to clear payroll for a Scherzer extension.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    M. Upton and C. Johnson for Price straight-up.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-18-2014)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    M. Upton and C. Johnson for Price straight-up.
    On a (slightly) more serious turn: would anyone consider sending Melvin and Kimbrel (and perhaps potential prospect sweetener) for a season of Price and the payroll space to either extent him or recoup a draft-pick and sign other player(s) next off-season?
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 1m1 minute ago
    Hearing Pablo Sandoval has discussed deals in the 5-year, $80-90 million range with #sfgiants and #redsox.

Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 3m3 minutes ago
    Indications are things could come together quickly with Sandoval and the #redsox are a very serious player.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 1m1 minute ago
    Hearing Pablo Sandoval has discussed deals in the 5-year, $80-90 million range with #sfgiants and #redsox.

Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 3m3 minutes ago
    Indications are things could come together quickly with Sandoval and the #redsox are a very serious player.
    If Russell Martin just got $16 MM per, how can Santana only settle for $18 MM per?

If Santana ends up in Boston, I can only say I hope the other 23 guys cut a wide berth and get out of the way when Santana and Ortiz hit the training table spread after the game.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    If Sandoval ends up in Boston, I can only say I hope the other 23 guys cut a wide berth and get out of the way when Sandoval and Ortiz hit the training table spread after the game.
    I guess that's how Ortiz has stayed so productive as he's aged: gravity is the one force that cuts across time.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I guess that's how Ortiz has stayed so productive as he's aged: gravity is the one force that cuts across time.
    The thing is Ortiz has gotten so big that he was used as a planet in Interstellar.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-18-2014)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    On a (slightly) more serious turn: would anyone consider sending Melvin and Kimbrel (and perhaps potential prospect sweetener) for a season of Price and the payroll space to either extent him or recoup a draft-pick and sign other player(s) next off-season?
    Yes, I would -- it seems that the Braves and the Tigers match up well (they might even have interest in Gattis, too, and I know many would love to get their hands on Castellanos).

Just very wary of Dombrowski fleecing Hart.