Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: GM/Winter Meetings Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts

GM/Winter Meetings Thread

Mutts surrendered their no 1 pick to sign Michael Cuddyer for 2 years. Not sure I'd have done that.

White Bear market being pushed - Check
    Hellickson looking like ARZ is his destination - Check
    Signing a big Wang for depth - Check

Lets keep the latest chatter here.
    Ivermectin Man

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-11-2014), Hawk (11-11-2014), jpx7 (11-10-2014), Julio3000 (11-10-2014), NYCBrave (11-10-2014), thethe (11-10-2014), UNCBlue012 (11-10-2014)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,131 Posts
    It's not just any first round pick...it's the 15th pick for crying out loud. One of the most valuable non-protected picks in the draft. Why in the world would you give up such a high pick to sign a 36 year old to a 2 year deal when you surely won't be offering him a QO at the end of his contract?

Baffling move by a team that isn't really in position to contend next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Mets are going to win 90+ games next year if Harvey is healthy. That team is loaded on the pitching side and if they get a bounce back year from Wright they are going to be damn good.

Harvey
    Degrom
    Wheeler
    Syndergard
    Niese
    Gee
    Colon

Thats not even all their starting pitching. They have a lot of hitters that are about ready to contribute down on the farm. Don't sleep on the Mets.
    Natural Immunity Croc

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-11-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Thanks for starting this thread Tapate. I guess this will work for both winter and GM meetings.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Technically not the winter meetings, as they don't start until December 7-11 in Nashville, I believe. It's the GM meetings where GM's (or insert management positional name here) meet and vote on a number of organizational and business function matters amongst other things.

But at these meetings, sometimes deals do get finalized, but more likely dialogue is opened up and the framework on some larger scale deals are put together that may or may not happen, and won't be announced until later like the winter meetings or later in the hot stove signing period.

Wren during his period here, was very active at these meetings. He finalized the Uggla deal and laid the framework for the Justin Upton deal.

Edit: Sorry the Winter Meetings are in San Diego, so should be some good tanning and golfing weather for Mr. Hart

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Apparently mets rockies talking tulo deal

Playing the Waiting Game keithlaw's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    294 Posts
    So Rockies:Mets::Braves:Royals now?

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    It's not just any first round pick...it's the 15th pick for crying out loud. One of the most valuable non-protected picks in the draft. Why in the world would you give up such a high pick to sign a 36 year old to a 2 year deal when you surely won't be offering him a QO at the end of his contract?

Baffling move by a team that isn't really in position to contend next year.
    Meet the Mets.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ#1FAN View Post
    Meet the Mets.
    It only makes sense if they plan to sign another free agent with a qualifying offer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,734 Posts
    Well that's 1 slot higher for all our picks.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    910 Posts
    I'm not a big fan of sacrificing the pick, but what are the alternatives? If you want an impact bat on FA, you're giving up the pick. If you go the trade route, you're giving up prospects with a greater present value than the pick. If the Mets call it an off season, I'll be left scratching my head. But if it's a sign of things to come, I can live with the move. It's beyond time that the Mets start trying to actually win games at the ML level.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acesfull86 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-11-2014), bravesnumberone (11-11-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts
    Phils to move Howard "at any cost" according to sources...

Sounds like they are going full BJ Upton mode in the brotherly love city.
    Ivermectin Man

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Phils to move Howard "at any cost" according to sources...

Sounds like they are going full BJ Upton mode in the brotherly love city.
    Wonder if they are desperate to unload others as well, and being they had initial interest in BJ when he was a FA 2 years ago if there still would be potential interest to swap contracts. Highly unlikely but I would have interest in Cliff Lee or Chase Utley. It's not going to happen with the Braves, but wonder whats going to happen to Cole Hamels.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Cuddyer's a good player. Don't know if I'd have paid him that much, but like acesfull said, you get bit either way. Age/health are always questions, but the guy is a pretty good hitter and a great clubhouse guy. I agree with thethe that the Mets could be a surprise team next year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    I'm not a big fan of sacrificing the pick, but what are the alternatives? If you want an impact bat on FA, you're giving up the pick. If you go the trade route, you're giving up prospects with a greater present value than the pick. If the Mets call it an off season, I'll be left scratching my head. But if it's a sign of things to come, I can live with the move. It's beyond time that the Mets start trying to actually win games at the ML level.
    If you are going to give up the 15th pick in the draft (Heyward was drafted #14), you don't give it up to sign a defensively limited 36 year old for 2 years. You either sign a guy for 4+ years, or sign a guy for 1 year and then offer him a QO the following year to recover the lost draft pick (like Santana's case).

The signing does make more sense if they are going to go ahead and also jump at one of the upper level FA pitchers that rejected a QO, so maybe I jumped the gun with my criticism.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts
    If you are going to give up the 15th pick in the draft (Heyward was drafted #14), you don't give it up to sign a defensively limited 36 year old for 2 years. You either sign a guy for 4+ years, or sign a guy for 1 year and then offer him a QO the following year to recover the lost draft pick (like Santana's case).

The signing does make more sense if they are going to go ahead and also jump at one of the upper level FA pitchers that rejected a QO, so maybe I jumped the gun with my criticism.
    It's tbd really, but I'm not sure I do it if I'm their GM. Maybe not a bad move but not one Id have made. If I'm gonna give up the 15th it better be for a big name for 4+ years . That's just me though . Just a short term band aid.
    Last edited by Tapate50; 11-11-2014 at 12:34 PM.
    Ivermectin Man

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts

I think a lot depends on the shape of your farm system. If you believe you've got enough depth to forego the 15th pick, it's not that big a deal. I agree that the question of whether the Cuddyer is worth the 15th pick is valid, but there's more that goes into the calculation.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Ken Rosenthal
    @Ken_Rosenthal
    Sources: One strategy for #Braves is to package Gattis with B.J. Upton. Open on Gattis, others in various combos. Most of roster in play.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    David O'Brien
    ‏@DOBrienAJC
    #Braves want to add a LH hitter who could possibly platoon with 3B Chris Johnson

I really ****ing despise platoons.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    David O'Brien
    ‏@DOBrienAJC
    #Braves want to add a LH hitter who could possibly platoon with 3B Chris Johnson

I really ****ing despise platoons.
    I'm not particularly enamored with platoons, but I ****ing despise Chris Johnson (As a baseball player. He's probably a nice guy when he's not demolishing water coolers.).

I don't know who fits the bill of LHH 3B. Brock Holt? Kelly Johnson? Ryan Flaherty? Yangveris Solarte? I suppose one could move up a level and ask about Pedro Alvarez, Lonnie Chisenall, or Luis Valbuena. But if you get someone from the second group, why would you bother keeping Johnson around?
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 11-11-2014 at 01:54 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-11-2014)