Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Atlanta Braves Leaders

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    The literal police are driving around in cop cars, not correcting the internet.

Explain to me the flaws in rWAR. The guys I listed are arguable, yes. Hudson is not. Claiming that Reed is anywhere near Hudson is crazy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post

Explain to me the flaws in rWAR. The guys I listed are arguable, yes. Hudson is not. Claiming that Reed is anywhere near Hudson is crazy.
    I know you don't care for me all that much but I love reading your posts. Well done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    BUCK UP KIDDO, WE ALL LOVE YOU THETHE

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,466 Posts

I hate you sometimes

As far as flaws. First off how it attempts to adjust for team defense. FIP does it much cleaner. Second has to do that it's run based. Run based can be extremely lucky. For example I think pretty much anyone would tell you that Jeff Locke isn't on par with Shelby Miller but rWAR says they are. While it's true that in general luck shakes itself out over a large sample, it's not always the case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    As far as flaws. First off how it attempts to adjust for team defense. FIP does it much cleaner.
    FIP doesn't consider team defense at all. It is by definition "Fielding Independent."

What about the way rWAR adjusts for defense is flawed?

Second has to do that it's run based. Run based can be extremely lucky.
    That's a great reason to not use rWAR as a predictive stat. But that's doesn't affect it's value as record of actual performance, which is what WAR is supposed to do.

Also, "lucky" is a misleading description. It assumes to much. What a big FIP delta means is not that a pitcher is lucky, but that his performance is likely unsustainable. Unsustainable and lucky are not the same thing.

For example I think pretty much anyone would tell you that Jeff Locke isn't on par with Shelby Miller but rWAR says they are. While it's true that in general luck shakes itself out over a large sample, it's not always the case.
    I wouldn't say they'll be the same going forward (the league will adjust to Locke), but I'd absolutely say that Jeff Locke has been as valuable for his team this year as Miller.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,466 Posts
    FIP doesn't consider team defense at all. It is by definition "Fielding Independent."

What about the way rWAR adjusts for defense is flawed?
    Because Total Zone is hardly the most accurate way for measuring defense. Sure it's the best we have for that period, but there's a reason no one uses it since UZR and DRS came around. So yeah that's a problem with it. And the being Fielding Independent was clearly what I was talking about. Stop being obtuse

That's a great reason to not use rWAR as a predictive stat. But that's doesn't affect it's value as record of actual performance, which is what WAR is supposed to do.

Also, "lucky" is a misleading description. It assumes to much. What a big FIP delta means is not that a pitcher is lucky, but that his performance is likely unsustainable. Unsustainable and lucky are not the same thing.
    It's not just about predictive values, and so on so forth.

I wouldn't say they'll be the same going forward (the league will adjust to Locke), but I'd absolutely say that Jeff Locke has been as valuable for his team this year as Miller.
    Why? I get what you're saying but it isn't true.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Locke may earn himself a social contract extension, but the Miller's Tale is far from over.

/erudite Chip Caray

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Locke may earn himself a social contract extension, but the Miller's Tale is far from over.

/erudite Chip Caray
    Respect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,506 Posts
    As far as Druw and getting his number retired, I think that won't happen, you don't want the Braves to become the Yankees and have all the numbers retired.
    That's silly. One more number isn't going to suddenly make us like the Yankees. Andruw was a huge part of our great run, along with being a should-be Hall of Famer. He deserves to have his number retired.

Called Up to the Major Leagues AUTiger7222's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    That's silly. One more number isn't going to suddenly make us like the Yankees. Andruw was a huge part of our great run, along with being a should-be Hall of Famer. He deserves to have his number retired.
    Yeah. The Braves have 10 retired numbers. The Yankees have like 30. Huge difference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post

/erudite Chip Caray
    *slow clap*