Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Suntrust Park Begins To Take Shape

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post

Third, the past actions of Braves senior management make sense if you view them in terms of the above.
    One situation I've wondered about was in 2014 when Wren went to McGuirk for permission to sign Santana. I remember Wren praising the organization for allowing him to go beyond the bugdet. But I also remember Schuerholz making some comments about the need to bring the numbers back into line. I don't think that happened in part because the team collapsed and there was no playoff appearance or strong attendance down the stretch to offset the waiver for Santana. I realize there were other reasons that were more important factors behind Wren's firing. But I'm pretty sure busting the budget in 2014 had a negative impact on the bonuses that McGuirk, Schuerholz and others were paid that year.

Still Playing the Waiting Game bravos4evr's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    One situation I've wondered about was in 2014 when Wren went to McGuirk for permission to sign Santana. I remember Wren praising the organization for allowing him to go beyond the bugdet. But I also remember Schuerholz making some comments about the need to bring the numbers back into line. I don't think that happened in part because the team collapsed and there was no playoff appearance or strong attendance down the stretch to offset the waiver for Santana. I realize there were other reasons that were more important factors behind Wren's firing. But I'm pretty sure busting the budget in 2014 had a negative impact on the bonuses that McGuirk, Schuerholz and others were paid that year.
    Executives don't get bonuses in MLB for money saved. The league would never allow that as it would interfere too much with payroll spending and the anti-trust exemption. In fact, baseball pays the least of all executives in sports (and very little when compared to the real world)

I looked all over the internet and could find absolutely no evidence to back up this tin foil hat idea that teams don't spend money so it can go to the execs as bonuses, OWNERS pull that crap, but not executives.
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"- Tom Waits

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Yeah, I expect that's it. Nothing's gonna stand between a pro sports owner and his God-given right to extort a community for a publicly-funded facility.
    true, but I was under the impression that the county approached the Braves after the city declined to fund the renovations of Turner Field. (choosing the football stadium over the baseball one)

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    Albany Herald: Suntrust Park canopy will be stadium's 'signature' feature

http://www.albanyherald.com/sports/s...4f3a7816e.html

Article mentions that there was a little bit of talk about a retractable roof.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonCowboy For This Useful Post:

KB21 (06-21-2016)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
    Executives don't get bonuses in MLB for money saved. The league would never allow that as it would interfere too much with payroll spending and the anti-trust exemption. In fact, baseball pays the least of all executives in sports (and very little when compared to the real world)

I looked all over the internet and could find absolutely no evidence to back up this tin foil hat idea that teams don't spend money so it can go to the execs as bonuses, OWNERS pull that crap, but not executives.

Curious about your wording here. It makes sense that there wouldn't be a bonus for saving money off of payroll, but what about bonuses tied to profitability of the franchise?

It makes perfect sense that baseball pays less than the "real world" for executives. That's the way it is for all supposed fun jobs. They know that everyone wants to work in sports jobs, and pay no more than what they have to pay to get competent staff. I have a relative who is in upper management in a sports related job (not team sports), and he doesn't bring home as much as I do in my small business.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    Curious about your wording here. It makes sense that there wouldn't be a bonus for saving money off of payroll, but what about bonuses tied to profitability of the franchise?
    The bonuses for senior executives are likely tied profits. That's the only thing that makes sense. It gives them the right incentives to put a good product on the field without overspending.

I'm sure Hart and Coppolella hate losing. But one of the reasons they are grumpy is that attendance is likely significantly below projections. Their year-end bonuses will reflect that (and rightfully so).
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-21-2016 at 09:10 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The bonuses for senior executives are likely tied profits. That's the only thing that makes sense. It gives them the right incentives to put a good product on the field without overspending.

I'm sure Hart and Coppolella hate losing. But one of the reasons they are grumpy is that attendance is likely significantly below projections. Their year-end bonuses will reflect that (and rightfully so).
    I can find no evidence that executives in MLB receive any bonuses related to anything other than making the playoffs or winning the world series. If anyone can find any articles or anything proving this please post it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Albany Herald: Suntrust Park canopy will be stadium's 'signature' feature

http://www.albanyherald.com/sports/s...4f3a7816e.html

Article mentions that there was a little bit of talk about a retractable roof.
    Exciting!! I'm planning on making the trip over there and staying in the Battery Atlanta for the Braves home opener next year.

Oddly enough, I open my email up today and I have a recruiter from the Atlanta area that has sent me an email. They need a family practice physician at a clinic that is "30 minutes from Atlanta". Not sure where, but I'm willing to talk and see what they are offering. I get a lot of these offers, but one close to Atlanta really piques my interest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    WVTM (Columbus, GA): Braves 'A' placed in new SunTrust Park

http://www.wtvm.com/story/32282721/b...-suntrust-park

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    Sporting News: Braves hit the sweet spot for premium seats at SunTrust Park

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/news...k1v7k642w5n4y2

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Sporting News: Braves hit the sweet spot for premium seats at SunTrust Park

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/news...k1v7k642w5n4y2
    those look/sound awesome
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-25-2016)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post

Bonuses aren't structured around money saved. It's money made. Which can be the same thing only worded differently.

Virtually every corporation in the Country pays their executives like this. They will have a base salary. For the sake of conversation, let's say McGuirk's is $1M. Then they would have a stretch bonus based on metrics established by upper management/ownership designed to drive profit and growth, usually tiered in some fashion such as: 10% of salary if x metrics are met, 20% if y, 30% if z, 40% if AA, 50% if BB. Usually their will be an upper limit (I have always disagreed with placing a limit because it can stifle growth). With a corporation like Liberty, they won't care AT ALL about wins/losses, attendance, etc. except how they impact the bottom line and as trends of the future and how it affects the value of the franchise (what it could be sold for should they decide to sell). They are not fans. They are owners of a business. "Giving the fans a championship" plays no part in their thinking outside of go to verbage when talking with the media.

You won't find this type of information out there because it isn't released. You MIGHT be able to dig through the financial statements reported by Liberty and find it as a line item report (if you know what to look for) and even then it may be combined with other executives in some way. But, I doubt McGuirk is a big enough fish to even stick his head up out of the water at Liberty.

Liberty almost certainly says:

Here's your comp package - Base Salary, Bonus based on metrics, stock/stock options. Now go run your business as a silo business just like you are the owner. Let's know how much money you make every so often.

They don't care what specific moves are made, just what the bottom line is. If the Braves average making $20M every year, then they will want to see AT LEAST a $20M bottom line next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    I doubt any executives make that much on the braves. Team is notoriously cheap, and like I said, nobody has presented any evidence that ANY MLB team pays bonuses to execs based on revenue. Find me some evidence and post it. Other businesses are not baseball, they are subject to entirely different sets of rules than baseball and the Braves are in an even more unique position due to their relationship with ownership.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Braves Statement on Parking

Has there been any official word on if/where the Braves will be providing any of their own parking?

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,270 Posts
    I've generally taken a shamelessly amoral stance on the Braves' actions related to the new ballpark- it's good for the team, and that's what I care about. If Cobb had rejected the stadium, I would have been fine with that, but an exurban county on the periphery of the Atlanta metro area doesn't seem all that worthy of my pity.

But man, the organization is not doing anything to make that easier. I mean, credit for the Tywin Lannister-esque ruthlessness and competency, I suppose, but from a normative perspective this entire saga has been a disaster.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    Atlanta Business Chronicle: Cobb officials to revisit new controversial rule that controls parking near SunTrust Park

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/m...sial-rule.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    Atlanta Business Chronicle: Multi-use bridge to SunTrust Park underway

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/m...bridge-to.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    WTOC (Savannah): Braves say no businesses are being held back from selling game day parking (video included from CBS 46):

http://www.wtoc.com/story/32404727/b...me-day-parking

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    11 Alive: Braves Hall of Famer installs first seats at SunTrust Park:

http://www.11alive.com/sports/braves...park/265537002

23. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonCowboy For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-09-2016)