Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    9 straight division titles.
    Chipper's heroics in 2012 against Phillies X2
    Andruw spiderman centerfield catch.
    So in other words, nothing unique about the stadium.

Once we have a bunch of success at SunTrust, fans will remember it fondly. You're making my point for me.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,466 Posts
    This park sucks and looks like a corporate whore stadiun.

A franchise with a history as luxurious as the Braves deserves something better than this.

Yanks have the Facade. Fenway has the monster. Mets have the Ebbets feel. Camden has the warehouse building. Giants have the Giant glove and McCovey Cove. Royals have the Fountains. Wrigley the Ivy.

We don't have anything signature or iconic that symbolizes the Braves' history. Instead we just have these gadgets and gizmos and a 6 story comcast office building.
    2 of the stadiums you listed are really old cut into a city block stadiums. THat's not even remotely close to what's happening in Atlanta so it would be silly to add those gimmicky aspects to it. It would feel forced and unnecessary IMO.

We don't need something to symbolize Braves history. What about Turner symbolizes Braves history? It was a stadium built for the Olympics, it's about as generic of a stadium as you'll find in baseball.

Having been to Camden Yards, the warehouse is hardly the reason it rocks as a stadium. It's something some losers may think is cool, but you like Camden Yards because the stadium is great. Great sight lines and all. THat's most important with Sun Trust, to have it be an enjoyable fan experience.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    9 straight division titles.
    Chipper's heroics in 2012 against Phillies X2
    Andruw spiderman centerfield catch.
    And none of those things have anything to do with...

Hank Aaron (not one of his 755 HRs were hit at The Ted)
    Dale Murphy (didn't win either of his MVPs while playing at The Ted)
    Phil Niekro (didn't get to the HOF pitching at The Ted)
    Bob Horner's heroics in 1986 against the Expos (4 HR game)
    The "worst To First" 1991 season
    The first 5 of the consecutive Division Titles
    The club's only World Championship
    Otis Nixon's spiderman centerfield catch
    Sid's slide

Eddie Matthews
    Warren Spahn
    Johnny Sain
    Orlando Cepeda
    Darrell Evans
    Joe Torre
    Dusty Baker

The 20 years the Braves played at The Ted you're so interested in paying homage to sure does leave out a whole lot of Braves' history. If The Ted is so great, why doesn't it have all kinds of things that reflect those other players' accomplishments? As others have said, who wants gimmicky things to make a stadium stand out? It's the team and its history that the fans know about and support, and those things will always follow the team regardless of where it plays.
    Last edited by clvclv; 03-28-2016 at 08:50 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,798 Posts
    Fox 5 story on traffic construction near SunTrust Park

http://www.fox5atlanta.com/good-day/114557908-story
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,798 Posts
    Braves start countdown to Opening Day 2017 at SunTrust Park

http://www.mdjonline.com/news/braves...34cd94a1d.html

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonCowboy For This Useful Post:

clvclv (04-04-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,798 Posts
    Coca-Cola teams up with Braves at SunTrust Park and The Battery Atlanta

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...rust-park.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,798 Posts
    Cobb approves 2 bridge projects near SunTrust Park.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/m...ar-braves.html

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonCowboy For This Useful Post:

clvclv (04-15-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,798 Posts
    Chick-fil-A cow arrives at SunTrust Park

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/baseb...untrust/nq7Jp/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,798 Posts

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    I for one will not miss the Ted, I have never been impressed with the seating, I didn't think it did justice to the reason it was there (96 Olympics) They distanced the stadium as far as possible from its origins, which I might add I sat in the front row of the very first event held at the stadium (The dress rehearsal for the 96 opening ceremonies).

As far as seating goes I could see better in seats in the old Fulton County stadium than I could in club level high price seats at the Ted. I won't miss it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to depley For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (04-19-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by depley View Post
    I for one will not miss the Ted, I have never been impressed with the seating, I didn't think it did justice to the reason it was there (96 Olympics) They distanced the stadium as far as possible from its origins, which I might add I sat in the front row of the very first event held at the stadium (The dress rehearsal for the 96 opening ceremonies).

As far as seating goes I could see better in seats in the old Fulton County stadium than I could in club level high price seats at the Ted. I won't miss it.
    Agreed, SunTrust should be vastly superior in terms of simply watching the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,895 Posts
    I have zero attachment to the Ted. Ga St can lose pretty much every game they can in it for all I care .
    Ivermectin Man

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    SunTrust Park was a stinker from day one. Sure, sight lines are going to be better -- but SAV is right, you are looking at a corporate behemoth of blandness. There is literally nothing unique about the stadium, nothing representative of the region. Hell, even in terms of 'BASEBALL ONLY' there is nothing that makes it a premium product. Cookie cutter. It is also a stark reminder that the Braves are commandeered by a crew of inept mid-tier executives.

And for those trying to shill the mixed development? Take a tour of Atlantic Station.

Maybe by the time the Braves are relevant again there will be a team to root for in Charlotte.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-20-2016), Julio3000 (04-19-2016), Tapate50 (04-19-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Not sure I agree with people basing the new park, calling it "bland". I don't see it that way. They mixed use development outside will have places to eat and shop. We will have a 4 story chop house. Led lights. But most importantly we will have different deminsions in the outfield. That will keep plays interesting.

They tore down a big portion of the Olympic stadium to make the Ted. A lot there is pretty bland and I've been to about 50 or so games there. The outfield is the traditional shape all the way around. And it is in a TERRIBLE area.
    Get off my lawn!

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Not sure I agree with people basing the new park, calling it "bland". I don't see it that way. They mixed use development outside will have places to eat and shop. We will have a 4 story chop house. Led lights. But most importantly we will have different deminsions in the outfield. That will keep plays interesting.

They tore down a big portion of the Olympic stadium to make the Ted. A lot there is pretty bland and I've been to about 50 or so games there. The outfield is the traditional shape all the way around. And it is in a TERRIBLE area.
    It's not like we're tearing down Fenway Park or Wrigley Field to replace it with Riverfront/Three Rivers/ Veterans/ Busch II.

Sure, it would have been neat if the new park could have gone in somewhere around the Georgia Dome/ new stadium for the Failcons. I still think going north was a better move for attendance purposes, but there is a lot of value in having a stadium located in or at least within walking distance of the city center and other entertainment and lodging.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    It's not like we're tearing down Fenway Park or Wrigley Field to replace it with Riverfront/Three Rivers/ Veterans/ Busch II.

Sure, it would have been neat if the new park could have gone in somewhere around the Georgia Dome/ new stadium for the Failcons. I still think going north was a better move for attendance purposes, but there is a lot of value in having a stadium located in or at least within walking distance of the city center and other entertainment and lodging.
    Agreed that the stadium is now not in the most convenient place in regards to being down town, and traffic at the 285/75 merge is going to be AWFUL. But if you live in Atlanta you know that everything is moving north. The south side has really gone down hill in terms of crime and economy. So moving north is just going with that trend. Can't blame them for that.
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    SunTrust Park was a stinker from day one. Sure, sight lines are going to be better -- but SAV is right, you are looking at a corporate behemoth of blandness. There is literally nothing unique about the stadium, nothing representative of the region. Hell, even in terms of 'BASEBALL ONLY' there is nothing that makes it a premium product. Cookie cutter. It is also a stark reminder that the Braves are commandeered by a crew of inept mid-tier executives.

And for those trying to shill the mixed development? Take a tour of Atlantic Station.

Maybe by the time the Braves are relevant again there will be a team to root for in Charlotte.
    First, I don't know why the existence of Atlantic Station would negate the benefits of the mixed-use development; they're not in the same location. Second, this new development will be better in terms of dining and entertainment than Atlantic Station, just on a slightly smaller scale.

No, SunTrust won't have a hill with a pole in it in CF. No, there isn't a bay. And no, there won't be some gigantic wall in LF. But those features are, in order: stupid, impossible, and necessary at the time. I don't care if a baseball stadium has some weird features that fans who never attend games consider 'cool'. I care if a stadium enhances the experience. SunTrust will be a home run in this area.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

clvclv (04-19-2016), JohnAdcox (05-20-2016), sturg33 (04-19-2016)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    First, I don't know why the existence of Atlantic Station would negate the benefits of the mixed-use development; they're not in the same location. Second, this new development will be better in terms of dining and entertainment than Atlantic Station, just on a slightly smaller scale.

No, SunTrust won't have a hill with a pole in it in CF. No, there isn't a bay. And no, there won't be some gigantic wall in LF. But those features are, in order: stupid, impossible, and necessary at the time. I don't care if a baseball stadium has some weird features that fans who never attend games consider 'cool'. I care if a stadium enhances the experience. SunTrust will be a home run in this area.
    I agree... make the park a destination for people to go to - not just about baseball

24. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (04-19-2016)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post

Sure, maybe, but any large scale project of this nature that intentionally (per the Cobb Co fathers) disses public transit to the benefit of car culture and the exurbs is going to get a thumbs-down from me. If it's a nice place to watch a game, that'll be great. I doubt I'll notice whatever monotonous monocultural clutter gets built in the background.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (04-19-2016), Metaphysicist (04-19-2016)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    I wanted a stripper's pole down the right field line. For every hanging breaking ball the opposing team throws and our team wiffs on, a stripper comes out on the field and undresses to "you hangem and we bang em" with Nick the Stick. After a baker's dozen, Andruw comes back out onto the field in center and starts throwing dildo's stuffed with $100 bills into the stands. After 20 hanging curveballs, the legendary Chipper Jones comes out to third base and awards one lucky fan a lifetime certificate to eat free at Hooters. And after 50, a rare occurance, Hammerin Hank comes out to the field to honor the Babe of Day.
    Last edited by Millwood1Hitter; 04-19-2016 at 01:31 PM.