Page 11 of 59 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves Trade Heyward, Walden to Cardinals for Miller and Tyrell Jenkins

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Heyward isn't a power hitter. His swing is not conducive to homeruns. That won't change. It's not about his size, power, approach, or willingness to learn.....biomechanically, he just doesn't do things the way a power hitter does. Still a quality player. But not the kind of producer he will get paid to be.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Bottom line is unless Heyward breaks out into a star offensively THIS year the trade is a win for us. Because he was gone regardless in 2016.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emk418 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-17-2014), BoneThrower (11-17-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    Heyward, all kidding aside, is the exact type of player capable of having a 40/40 season in his prime.
    Not with his career trends

5. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-17-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Okay.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Not happy about losing Heyward. At least we got some upside. But I'm more interested in getting every day players back. I don't like this deal.

But why the **** is Kimbrel safe? He's the easiest guy to move we have, and it won't really impact us in the short term (since we're punting)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (11-17-2014), jpx7 (11-17-2014)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    How bout realize he's not even 24 and his rookie yr as fantastic. He had a sophomore slump but was still an effective pitcher.
    Well, he actually is 24.

His rookie year was solid, but nothing special. He is a decent young, middle of the rotation starter...which is fine. But, he was acquired for Jason Heyward.......and Jordan Walden.

Claiming that starting staff is the best in baseball is hilarious. You think that staff puts up an ERA around the 3 mark?
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-17-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    Mostly defense? Seriously? I think people forget Heyward is only 25 and has spent his MLB career on a team with no hitting coach.
    You are so overrating the role of a hitting coach.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

Diesel (11-17-2014), NYCBrave (11-17-2014)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Not happy about losing Heyward. At least we got some upside. But I'm more interested in getting every day players back. I don't like this deal.

But why the **** is Kimbrel safe? He's the easiest guy to move we have, and it won't really impact us in the short term (since we're punting)
    Now we know why Fredi and Co. didn't use Kimbrell for multiple innings last year against the Dodgers in an elimination game, as they truely were thinking about the FUTURE.

Also you have to wonder what is going through the heads of the likes of Freeman, Kimbrel, Simmons, etc who signed long-term extensions with so much turmoil and proven that the next 2 years probably are going to mean very little. I hope Hart at least had the nerve to sit down with them and explain what they were thinking and the potential process of putting together a "championship caliber team" in 2017.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,013 Posts
    I think Hart wasn't lying about not being the actual GM.

The actual GM is William Shanks.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bravesnumberone For This Useful Post:

BoneThrower (11-17-2014), drewdat (11-17-2014), jpx7 (11-17-2014), Metaphysicist (11-18-2014), The Chosen One (11-17-2014), TXBravesFan (11-17-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Jenkins is a ways away, but appears to be healthy again, having pitched in the Arizona Fall League.

Here's a piece on him: http://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2014/11/...tyrell-jenkins
    Great link 50, thanks.

Thats some real positive data right there.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    You are so overrating the role of a hitting coach.
    Okay.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Keith Law likes it for both teams. Says Jenkins leapfrogs Sims to be our clear number 1 pitching prospect. Calls miller a mid rotation guy floor with a number 2 ceiling. Thought that his close to the season was a result of a change in pitch selection so maybe sustainable vs a fluke.

Maybe I'd feel better if I thought CB looked better behind the plate or had any chance of hitting. Maybe if I hadn't seen how awful Gattis is in LF and noticed how his offensive numbers aren't great compared to other LFs. Maybe if I thought FF was going to be a 30 plus HR guy. Or that Simmons was going to be an avg OBP guy. Maybe if CJ wasn't CJ and BJ wasn't BJ.

Just feel like we're going to see Terdo starting in a corner next year.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

BremanFan88 (11-17-2014), jpx7 (11-17-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Heyward was gone regardless, I think some people are in denial about that. Yes it hurts, but that's the reality for us.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-17-2014), BoneThrower (11-17-2014), CrimsonCowboy (11-17-2014), FreemanFan (11-18-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    Now we know why Fredi and Co. didn't use Kimbrell for multiple innings last year against the Dodgers in an elimination game, as they truely were thinking about the FUTURE.

Also you have to wonder what is going through the heads of the likes of Freeman, Kimbrel, Simmons, etc who signed long-term extensions with so much turmoil and proven that the next 2 years probably are going to mean very little. I hope Hart at least had the nerve to sit down with them and explain what they were thinking and the potential process of putting together a "championship caliber team" in 2017.
    They got jeff loria'd but...

It worked for the Marlins. TWICE!

Fwiw, i think our FO has seen the run the Giants are on, and thinks that is a very good model especially with having to keep payroll in line.
    Ivermectin Man

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-17-2014)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Some positives to take away, Miller finished this yr on a roll with a 2.95 ERA over his last 12 starts. May be something clicked for him.
    Heard from a big Cards fan earlier. He thought the roll Miller was on at the end of the season was enough for them to keep him. He says he and quite a few of his buddies who know the Cards' system aren't all that jazzed about the deal.

Neither side "wins" HUGE unless both Miller and Jenkins reach their ceilings or Jason reaches his in 2015 AND the Cardinals are willing to pony up around $180 million plus. While neither is likely, this should be interesting.

So funny to hear all these people around here in favor of a bit of a firesale in an effort to reshape and be ready for the new park, then *itch and whine when it starts.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-17-2014), Hudson2 (11-17-2014)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    This coming from the guy who thinks Uggla should still be in the starting line-up.
    I'll be honest: I've been thinking a lot over the past year or so about dropping the Braves (and thus baseball) from the list of things I spend time worrying myself with as a spectator.

The first straw, for me, was the racist, suburban switch from a perfectly good stadium to a sparkly new one in an adjoining county. Sure, it may very well be good business, for them, but it left a nasty taste in my metaphorical mouth. But, I rationalized to myself, at least it will be good for the team on the field—and that's what I care about with respect to the Braves.

Now that same sparkly new stadium is being used as justification for another rebuild, right around the moment it felt like the last, post-Cox rebuilding just got some legs under it. And, honestly, I personally felt better about the direction of the team circa two months ago, at the end of the 2014 regular season than I do now—despite both that roster's and that management's warts—considering what I've seen, heard, and read from this new (but really pretty old) crew managing the latest round of rebuilding we're watching commence.

To top it off, from the perspective of my personal spectation: the first real shoe to drop is a trade of my favorite player—a kid I was elated to see the Braves draft, who I followed up the system, and who I really enjoyed watching—to the major-league team I despise most, and for a return whose quality leaves me feeling further skeptical about the evaluative capacities of the "new" regime.

There's more to come, I'm sure—and for the Braves sake, I hope the return on the younger Upton, Gattis, Kimbrel (if they're wise enough to trade him while they're at it), and whoever else is a lot better than what the team received for Heyward. Nonetheless, it's certainly been enough to shake my desire to follow this (and thus any) club.

But I like baseball, and I like discussing baseball, so I'm not sure that just walking away is the best route, for me. At the moment, I'm seriously considering an alternative bargain: actively rooting against this team—at least for a few years.
    Last edited by jpx7; 11-17-2014 at 01:58 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (11-17-2014), holden (11-17-2014), Prikichi (11-17-2014)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    So people are down on Miller after one fantastic rookie year and a sophmore slump, but Heyward is worth more than him based on mostly defense?

I think we have misconstrued the value of our own players\prospects. Every trade we have made is what the market would bear.

I'll wait and see what the rest of the offseason bears before I judge this one, as Heywards production is certainly repeatable in other ways.
    And his "sophomore slump" he was still effective. He's a big time young SP.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I don't mind trading everybody. But it depends on the return.

Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Heard from a big Cards fan earlier. He thought the roll Miller was on at the end of the season was enough for them to keep him. He says he and quite a few of his buddies who know the Cards' system aren't all that jazzed about the deal.

Neither side "wins" HUGE unless both Miller and Jenkins reach their ceilings or Jason reaches his in 2015 AND the Cardinals are willing to pony up around $180 million plus. While neither is likely, this should be interesting.

So funny to hear all these people around here in favor of a bit of a firesale in an effort to reshape and be ready for the new park, then *itch and whine when it starts.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    I think people are also overstating the actual value Heyward has. Despite what fWAR says, it's pretty clear that offense is simply valued more importantly. And Heyward is coming off a pretty unimpressive season offensively. Now you might suggest we shouldn't have traded him at his lowest point, and that would be a fair point, but the other option was to watch him walk in 12 months and get picks. This move still improves our roration for the short term and long term. It only hurts our offense in the short term, as Heyward would be gone next yr anyways.

Looking at what we got in return, it's actually pretty good value, though obviously not a steal for us. Miller is a good pitcher at the major league level. Think about what sort of package it would take for us to trade Minor, and multiply that by 10. Miller has the potential to be a top end starter and has 4 yrs of control left.

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-17-2014), BoneThrower (11-17-2014), emk418 (11-17-2014), NYCBrave (11-17-2014)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    I would have rather shipped JUp and tried to keep Heyward, but hey ho. I don't like Heyward no longer being a Brave, but I can understand why. My 9 year old son, on the other hand, is gonna be well pissed off.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomahawkCult For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-17-2014), Diesel (11-17-2014)