Results 981 to 1,000 of 1173

Thread: Braves Trade Heyward, Walden to Cardinals for Miller and Tyrell Jenkins

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,800 Posts
    My thing is:

Let's give Hart the benefit of the doubt and assume he had a good idea on Heyward's demands. If you have a trade in place, what is the harm in picking up the phone before pulling the trigger, and saying something like:

"Jason - I wanted to check with you again on potential extension. Otherwise, we have a deal in place to move to you. Are you interested in negotiating?"

But no - John assumed he'd not be interested.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (11-18-2014), jpx7 (11-18-2014), Prikichi (11-18-2014)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Yup. And he told his parents the truth when he said he didn't swipe that pack of gum when he was 7.
    You're reaching.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    If Jason would've hit 25 bombs this year, all the naysayers have an argument.
    Again: HOMRS R ERVRYTHNG!

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Bad contracts have been eaten before. Vernon Wells?
    Yup. Dan Uggla? B. J. Upton?

It just so happens the Braves are in the middle of eating two of those while trying to recover from the Lowe and Kawakami deals. With 22,000 fans showing up, I can't fathom any reason they can't just swallow those and continue to be contenders.

Those of you that believe there's a better pitching prospect in our system than the three we just traded for in the last two days ought to (or maybe have been) hang out with Shanks a little more. Sims is still listed as our #1 because Mayo doesn't want to embarass the organization - if he ever turns out better than any of them, I'll be shocked.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,800 Posts
    I think it's time for Braxton Davidson

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BremanFan88 View Post
    A second half driven by a very low BABIP...

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    So now the argument is, the Braves never once in the 5 yrs he has played in ATL reached out to the Heyward or his agent to even gauge what type of contract he was seeking. Instead, the Braves front office assumed he wanted to leave or hated him so much that they shipped him out on the 1st bus out of town in an effort to rid the team of prominent metro Atlanta black players.

Or is it possible you simply hate this trade enough that you are willing to grasp at any irrational explanation?
    Last edited by Carp; 11-18-2014 at 12:28 AM.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (11-18-2014), clvclv (11-18-2014), Garmel (11-18-2014), NinersSBChamps (11-18-2014)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Bad contracts have been eaten before. Vernon Wells?
    BTW, the Blue Jays (who signed Wells to that *hitty deal) traded him for LESS THAN one season of control of Mike Napoli and Juan Rivera.

On January 21, 2011, Wells was traded to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, in exchange for catcher Mike Napoli and outfielder Juan Rivera.[9] Angels' owner Arte Moreno insisted on the trade, and reportedly told Tony Reagins, the general manager, that he would be fired if he did not acquire Wells within 24 hours.[10]

Wells started out the season hitting below the Mendoza Line through the first month-and-a-half of the 2011 season. At the All-Star break, his batting average improved to .222. Wells "heated up" during the months of June and July, hitting 11 home runs combined in those months, after hitting only four in the previous two. In his first game back in Toronto on August 12, Wells received a standing ovation before his first at bat, and followed that up by taking the first pitch of the at bat thrown by Brandon Morrow over the left-center field fence. In 2011, he batted .218, the lowest batting average of all major league ballplayers with 512 or more plate appearances, and also had the lowest on-base percentage (.248).[11]
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    566 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    As much as I'll hate it as a Braves fan, for Jason's sake I hope Mark McGuire can fix his swing.
    Are you speaking in terms of Heyward joining the Dodgers in 2016?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Heyward went to them with that 2 year extension but I forgot he's a liar and the Braves tried to lock him up longer despite there being zero evidence to back that up.
    Really? You've seen the paperwork?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    I heard they offered him BJ Upton.
    LOL

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    It's 100% possible they're speculating/assuming.
    And only 2% you are, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    566 Posts
    At least the infield grass going out to the 2B position won't have indentations in it anymore. Lol.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jsebe10 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-18-2014), gtcway (11-18-2014), pfiggy (11-18-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    566 Posts
    No. The Braves won't be getting a dime from me for a while.
    Those tears won't bring Jason Heyward back...lol

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    So basically Hart is spinning Jason wanting to get to get through his arbitration years as not wanting to sign a long term extension. Apparently he should of gone to them with that first because our FO is fairly obtuse and not capable of negotiating with Jason Heyward. Pretty much lets us know that they don't value Heyward.
    Just as much as Heyward's spinning the "fact" the Braves didn't want him.

All 30 teams in baseball "want him" - the Braves were told his price, and after he delivered another mid .700 OPS season they decided he wasn't worth that to them.

For all the credit everyone seems so willing to heap on the Cardinals' brass for being so smart, do you honestly think they're going to give him $20+ million if he puts up another season like he's been doing when they've got Grichuk and other better offensive players laying around - especially when they've been contenders when they haven't had a great defensive RF like him???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    So now the argument is, the Braves never once in the 5 yrs he has played in ATL reached out to the Heyward or his agent to even gauge what type of contract he was seeking. Instead, the Braves front office assumed he wanted to leave or hated him so much that they shipped him out on the 1st bus out of town in an effort to rid the team of prominent metro Atlanta black players.

Or is it possible you simply hate this trade enough that you are willing to grasp at any irrational explanation?
    The latter is actually less likely than the former, in this absurd case.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (11-18-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsebe10 View Post
    Those tears won't bring Jason Heyward back...lol

I normally don't like to go ad hominem on fellow posters, but: eat ****.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Prikichi (11-18-2014)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Sure and the apparent failure since the team apparently needs to be blown up based on 6 bad weeks. I think there is zero chance Heyward gets traded if the team makes the playoffs this year. They try to ride it out again next year and win it all. 6 weeks is all it took to change their mind.
    They "blew up the team"? I misunderstood. I thought they traded one year of Jason Heyward for two pretty good pitching prospects.

My mistake.

Playing the Waiting Game BremanFan88's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I normally don't like to go ad hominem on fellow posters, but: eat ****.
    The ignore feature is nice.
    All you need is Hart and Cox.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Just got home from the road and don't have time to read all 50 pages but wanted to give my 2 cents worth. The Braves were going to lose Heyward and pay him and Walden about 11 million. They will pay Miller 500k next season and have him locked up for 4 years. Jenkins has potential. This along with the money we're not paying Santana is around 24 million. There are going to be more moves. You can't emotionally attach yourself to the name on the back of the jersey. I liked Heyward. He's a nice guy. He never lived up to what we thought we had. He very well may in the future but we can't spend the money to find out. We move on.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to COGPK For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (11-18-2014), clvclv (11-18-2014)