Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1173

Thread: Braves Trade Heyward, Walden to Cardinals for Miller and Tyrell Jenkins

Playing the Waiting Game BremanFan88's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by COGPK View Post
    He never lived up to what we thought we had.
    For some. The rest of us certainly understand how good of a player he's been for us.
    All you need is Hart and Cox.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BremanFan88 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (11-18-2014), jpx7 (11-18-2014), Prikichi (11-18-2014)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Braves can go absoultely crazy and just get Walker and one of their top positional prospects (gabriel guerrero). That would be pretty sick.
    I mysteriously mentioned this exact deal elsewhere, but who's keeping score? Upton for Walker and Guerrero or Gallo and Williams and spend the $50-$60 million on other holes before 2017 and what does the organization look like?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Jason will have the chance to put his money where his mouth is thus time next year.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-18-2014), Powder Blues (11-18-2014)

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    Some people need to simmer down. I realize many here don't like the deal. I'm disappointed to see Heyward gone to the Cardinals too. But, that's the business of baseball guys. Just get yourselves ready, because as I said earlier, this won't be the last deal. I can see at least another one or two before things are all said and done. Also, there is no reason to automatically punt the 2015 season. For the main reason as to the fact we don't know what the team will look like. Let's see what team we have before we throw our arms up in the air and give up. It's a long time until February.

I know I'm going to get some smart aleck remarks, but oh well. I haven't contributed much in this thread because a great number of individuals can't have a debate without letting their anger take over their senses. It's one thing to be disappointed, but it's another to use that anger to act like a jerk. I know it's not everyone, but there is enough who rather jump all over people who think they are wrong that makes a civil debate almost impossible.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CrimsonCowboy For This Useful Post:

BoneThrower (11-18-2014), Carp (11-18-2014), clvclv (11-18-2014), COGPK (11-18-2014), Garmel (11-18-2014), NYCBrave (11-18-2014), Powder Blues (11-18-2014), thethe (11-18-2014), zedsdead (11-18-2014)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    "Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria tells Manny Navarro of the Miami Herald that he plans to surround Stanton with an improved lineup and can afford to go out and add a bat to hit behind him this offseason."

Womp.
    On the bright side, if we had Reuben Amaro at the helm, we'd have traded Heyward for Bartolo Colon and a C-level prospect.
    A better comp than you want it to be. Exactly who would we be able to trade to help this offense IF we'd have kept Heyward?

Maybe it's just me, but I haven't read many articles where I've seen anyone was interested in Lucas Sims, Jason Hursh, J. R. Graham, Mauricio Cabrera, or David Hale. (Those are the 5 guys left from BA's Braves' 2014 Top 10.) If you wouldn't trade Peraza, exactly WHO would you trade to help the offense IF you thought you could contend with what we have???

Our system sucks, and if you can't see that no one can help you.
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-18-2014 at 01:08 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

Powder Blues (11-18-2014)

Playing the Waiting Game Bdawg2309's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    we'll see if heyward ever learns how to hit off of lefties

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Some people need to simmer down. I realize many here don't like the deal. I'm disappointed to see Heyward gone to the Cardinals too. But, that's the business of baseball guys. Just get yourselves ready, because as I said earlier, this won't be the last deal. I can see at least another one or two before things are all said and done. Also, there is no reason to automatically punt the 2015 season. For the main reason as to the fact we don't know what the team will look like. Let's see what team we have before we throw our arms up in the air and give up. It's a long time until February.

I know I'm going to get some smart aleck remarks, but oh well. I haven't contributed much in this thread because a great number of individuals can't have a debate without letting their anger take over their senses. It's one thing to be disappointed, but it's another to use that anger to act like a jerk. I know it's not everyone, but there is enough who rather jump all over people who think they are wrong that makes a civil debate almost impossible.
    Give it a few weeks until they've come back to their senses. The "fan mindset " is kind of in effect right now. I see it much like a few others on here do...Get something for him, not nothing...I'll miss the kid but this is the ugly business side of baseball that we go through every year, unfortunately. Go Braves.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jsebe10 For This Useful Post:

CrimsonCowboy (11-18-2014)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Griffey Jr became more like Justin. Jason is pretty damn lanky IMO.
    Ken Griffey NEVER "became" more like Justin. He isn't as big as either today and he hasn't played in years.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    The latter is actually less likely than the former, in this absurd case.
    Lol you don't really believe this do you? You're supposed to be one of the more level headed posters on the board.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Well, you just lost any credibility you may have had with that remark. Congratulations.
    I'm crushed. Since there are so many more people around here that deserve credibility when they know what they know.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    I know it's not everyone, but there is enough who rather jump all over people who think they are wrong that makes a civil debate almost impossible.
    To be fair: that's been the case for posters on both sides of the ledger.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-18-2014), Prikichi (11-18-2014)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Lol you don't really believe this do you? You're supposed to be one of the more level headed posters on the board.
    I'm definitely not arguing race had anything to do with it (as you sardonicallly alluded in your previous post), but I do believe the Braves front-office undervalued Jason Heyward, and I likewise feel John Hart did not do his due-diligence in exploring extenting Heyward. But, as I've said—both in response to this trade, and well before it—I don't have a lot of faith in John Hart as the visionary of the franchise going forward.

I will accept your compliment, however, as regards what I am supposed to be on the board.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (11-18-2014)

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    To be fair: that's been the case for posters on both sides of the ledger.
    I agree. Absolutely
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    510 Posts
    Heyward said the 10 minute long-term extension discussion was in November or December of 2012 and the subject was never again revisited. The two year arbitration buyout was agreed during 2014 ST. Does that timeline make any sense? Especially when Hart seems to indicate about the 2014 ST negotiations (in annoyingly vague terms I guess) that the team wouldn't be able to come to a long-term agreement. I doubt that conclusion was reached solely upon the radio silence Heyward seems to indicate.

But that doesn't necessarily mean that Heyward's lying. All of the quotes he's given are that the team didn't come to him or the team never sat down with him and his agent. None of them say that there was no contact with only his agent gauging interest between 2012 and 2014. If you take his words literally, he was not an immediate party to any long-term contract discussions after 2012. Nothing is said one way or another about feelers being sent to his agent, which ramadon has claimed occurred, and which reason dictates would have had to occur. Depending on how informal and/or unproductive those discussions were, Heyward may not have even been made aware of them.

Even if Heyward were aware of agent contact, as long as the Braves didn't set up a meeting with he and his agent (and I'm sure they didn't, likely because they weren't close on a deal and it would have been pointless), his words, taken literally, are consistent. It also isn't inconsistent for Jason to have wanted a meeting, to have been unwilling to settle for whatever the Braves would have offered in said meeting, and to feel disrespected by the fact that no meetings occurred even though they would have led to nothing.

Another thing. "I wanted to stay..." Ellipsis. Finish the sentence. I wanted to stay... for the right terms. Doesn't say anything about a hometown discount, or about needing to have the highest bid. It has no meaningful context. But it sounds nice.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drewdat For This Useful Post:

Carp (11-18-2014), clvclv (11-18-2014), Tapate50 (11-18-2014)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsebe10 View Post
    but this is the ugly business side of baseball that we go through every year, unfortunately.

There is a difference between being a fan and being a complete lemming.
    Last edited by Hawk; 11-18-2014 at 01:47 AM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-18-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I'm crushed. Since there are so many more people around here that deserve credibility when they know what they know.
    Others aren't using racist analogies to try and make a point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Listening to Hart's interview on MLB Network, what pisses me off the most is how he suggests that this deal actually makes us better in the short term. In very few circumstances does trading your best player make you better in the short term, and certainly not this one.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Prikichi (11-18-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    And to all of those posters on here and Scout who wanted us to blow up and rebuild every time the team went in a slump or lost in the playoffs, here is to you.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Prikichi (11-18-2014), Tapate50 (11-18-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drewdat View Post
    Heyward said the 10 minute long-term extension discussion was in November or December of 2012 and the subject was never again revisited. The two year arbitration buyout was agreed during 2014 ST. Does that timeline make any sense? Especially when Hart seems to indicate about the 2014 ST negotiations (in annoyingly vague terms I guess) that the team wouldn't be able to come to a long-term agreement. I doubt that conclusion was reached solely upon the radio silence Heyward seems to indicate.

But that doesn't necessarily mean that Heyward's lying. All of the quotes he's given are that the team didn't come to him or the team never sat down with him and his agent. None of them say that there was no contact with only his agent gauging interest between 2012 and 2014. If you take his words literally, he was not an immediate party to any long-term contract discussions after 2012. Nothing is said one way or another about feelers being sent to his agent, which ramadon has claimed occurred, and which reason dictates would have had to occur. Depending on how informal and/or unproductive those discussions were, Heyward may not have even been made aware of them.

Even if Heyward were aware of agent contact, as long as the Braves didn't set up a meeting with he and his agent (and I'm sure they didn't, likely because they weren't close on a deal and it would have been pointless), his words, taken literally, are consistent. It also isn't inconsistent for Jason to have wanted a meeting, to have been unwilling to settle for whatever the Braves would have offered in said meeting, and to feel disrespected by the fact that no meetings occurred even though they would have led to nothing.

Another thing. "I wanted to stay..." Ellipsis. Finish the sentence. I wanted to stay... for the right terms. Doesn't say anything about a hometown discount, or about needing to have the highest bid. It has no meaningful context. But it sounds nice.

Best post in this thread by far.