Page 13 of 98 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves donate Justin Upton to Padres for prospects

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Patient, yes, but not too patient that teams start moving on to Plan B or C. Once Tomas signs and the market for Cruz crystallizes, Hart needs to have the JUp and/or Gattis deal(s) done pretty much immediately after those two events.

If teams start filling their RHed power needs with a creative Kemp deal, or a Byrd/Cespedes trade, it will be too late to get the max return on either guy.

There is a fine line between being too eager and striking while the iron is hot, and Hart needs to walk it very carefully. Hart pretty much has to trade Upton this offseason, so his only source of leverage is the demand from multiple teams. Once that demand starts to dry up the Braves become more desperate to move Upton than other teams will be to acquire him.

The moment Seattle offers Walker or Paxton, Hart needs to pull the trigger.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-25-2014 at 05:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    The 2017 number that is of utmost relevance is $16.25 million. That's BJ's salary in 2017. If the focus is really on 2017, I would expect Hart to move a chunk of that. There are various ways to do that including paying another team a certain amount in 2015 and 2016 to move the 2017 salary owed to BJ.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The 2017 number that is of utmost relevance is $16.25 million. That's BJ's salary in 2017. If the focus is really on 2017, I would expect Hart to move a chunk of that. There are various ways to do that including paying another team a certain amount in 2015 and 2016 to move the 2017 salary owed to BJ.
    I just don't see any way Hart moves BJ and saves enough money to be worth more than just keeping him as the 4th OFer. It's not like the system has any OFers ready to step in and be a legit option, even as just a 4th OFer.

Once he includes enough cash and/or prospects to facilitate a trade, and then acquires a 4th OFer capable of backing up CF (like Bonifacio), what did the team really save?

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I agree. BJ would be lucky to get a Minor League deal with a Spring Training invitation if he were a free agent right now. I can't imagine a team being willing to take on even a heavily subsidized version of his contract.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I agree. BJ would be lucky to get a Minor League deal with a Spring Training invitation if he were a free agent right now. I can't imagine a team being willing to take on even a heavily subsidized version of his contract.
    He'd get more than a minor league deal if he was a FA.

But i do agree im not sure they'd save much by trading him for whatever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    It's not like the system has any OFers ready to step in and be a legit option, even as just a 4th OFer.
    That is simply not true, we have a number of 4th outfielder types. Cedric Hunter probably being the best as he played great in AA last year would be a solid 4th outfielder or better in the Majors right now. He even looked okay his cup of coffee in the Majors with the Padres a few years ago. But he's also improved over the past year to where I wouldn't rule him out as starter material in the Majors eventually.

That said, I could see us losing Hunter in the Rule 5 Draft to another team as he isn't on the 40-man roster.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    That is simply not true, we have a number of 4th outfielder types. Cedric Hunter probably being the best as he played great in AA last year would be a solid 4th outfielder or better in the Majors right now. He even looked okay his cup of coffee in the Majors with the Padres a few years ago. But he's also improved over the past year to where I wouldn't rule him out as starter material in the Majors eventually.

That said, I could see us losing Hunter in the Rule 5 Draft to another team as he isn't on the 40-man roster.
    Umm...

Cedric Hunter has 4 ABs at the MLB level in 2011, and you say he looked OK? Best scouting eye ever!

He is currently going into his age 27 season and just played in AA last year. The Braves acquired him after stints in the Padres and Indians systems, not exactly organizations with tons of OF talent that was keeping him down, or preventing him from being a 4th OFer.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-25-2014 at 06:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    My guess is our best shot is deal similar to the one we already had a chance to do with the Cubs. That deal is apparently no longer available, but other than one like it or getting a team to take BJ because they want Justin, Minor, and/or Gattis I don't see him going anywhere this off-season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Umm...

Cedric Hunter has 4 ABs at the MLB level, and you say he looked OK? Best scouting eye ever!

He is currently going into his age 27 season and just played in AA last year. The Braves acquired him from after stints in the padres and Indians systems, not exactly organizations with tons of OF talent that was keeping him down, or preventing him from being a 4th OFer.
    OK smart arss, I said it was a cup of coffee as it was only 6 games, 5 PA (1-4 with 1BB) and he did look okay both in the field and at the plate. But more importantly he has looked even better over the past year. Hunter has always had a good eye and now that he is healthy again he is showing more power, etc. Plus he's good defensively and can play every outfield position too.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 11-25-2014 at 06:12 PM.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    I dont get why everyone wants to trade Justin, Gattis and Minor.

Minor is under control for 3 more years.

Gattis for 4.

No argument with JUP with his contract situation but they dont have to trade them.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

tomahawkchop10 (11-25-2014)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Patient, yes, but not too patient that teams start moving on to Plan B or C. Once Tomas signs and the market for Cruz crystallizes, Hart needs to have the JUp and/or Gattis deal(s) done pretty much immediately after those two events.

If teams start filling their RHed power needs with a creative Kemp deal, or a Byrd/Cespedes trade, it will be too late to get the max return on either guy.

There is a fine line between being too eager and striking while the iron is hot, and Hart needs to walk it very carefully. Hart pretty much has to trade Upton this offseason, so his only source of leverage is the demand from multiple teams. Once that demand starts to dry up the Braves become more desperate to move Upton than other teams will be to acquire him.

The moment Seattle offers Walker or Paxton, Hart needs to pull the trigger.
    More pitching? We don't need more pitching! We need a ****ing left fielder with RH power!

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Been thinking about this for awhile now and I have a crazy deal that I think would benefit both teams, so here it goes...

Trade Justin Upton, Mike Minor, and David Hale to the Cincinnati Reds for Johnny Cueto, Jay Bruce, and Ben Lively.

-From the Reds perspective: They realize that the chances of them re-signing Cueto are slim to none mainly because of the contracts given to Joey Votto, Homer Bailey, and Brandon Phillips. Within the next 2-3 years (and sooner for some) they will be faced with extending Mat Latos (2015), Mike Leake (2015), Alfredo Simon (2015), Aroldis Chapman (2017), Todd Frazier (2018), and Devin Mesoraco (2018). With this trade it would allow them to compete this year and in the feature by giving them the needed protection for Votto in Upton (who could capitalize on Great American Ballpark in his contract year), and the rotation stability in Minor since they have numerous pitchers about to be FA.

-From the Braves perspective: We know we won't be able to extend Justin Upton, therefore trading him makes the most sense. In Cueto, we instantly gain an "Ace" or at least another top of the rotation starter who like Upton will be a free agent after this year. With the trade of Heyward and now Upton we have no outfield prospects who are ready to produce at the big league level and with this trade we get Jay Bruce -who is under contract thru 2017 (he has a $13 million club option for 2017)- who would become our RF of the future. Bruce has a ton of power and plays great defense in RF. Lively, who is a pretty decent RHP prospect would help even out the deal and could eventually become a solid #4/#5 starter.

With the money saved in the Heyward deal and now this one -we could gain even more by pairing B.J and Gattis together- we could go and sign Lester -for all intensive purposes- to take Minor's rotation spot. Now all of a sudden we are putting together a club that can compete now and in 2017. Our offense this year wouldn't have as much "pop" but with a tweak or two could give us all we need behind a rotation of: Lester/Cueto/Teheran/Wood/Miller. Now next year when Cueto and Dan Uggla's salaries come off our books, go use that money on a bat.

Just pure speculation on my part, but I would really like this.
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to blueagleace1 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-27-2014)

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Wonder where all that power was last year. Had over 540 PAs and drove in 66 runs with 18 homers and 149 Ks in the most hitter-friendly park in the league.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    I dont get why everyone wants to trade Justin, Gattis and Minor.

Minor is under control for 3 more years.

Gattis for 4.

No argument with JUP with his contract situation but they dont have to trade them.
    Because they can likely bring us more prospects/talent that can be under control for just as long if not longer.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Wonder where all that power was last year. Had over 540 PAs and drove in 66 runs with 18 homers and 149 Ks in the most hitter-friendly park in the league.
    18 HR is the LEAST he's ever hit..

2008- 21
    2009- 22
    2010- 25
    2011- 32
    2012- 34
    2013- 30
    2014- 18

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    MLBTR also reports that Bruce has eight teams in a no-trade clause. Unknown if Braves among them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    MLBTR also reports that Bruce has eight teams in a no-trade clause. Unknown if Braves among them.
    Saw that as well, and they weren't listed. The teams listed are: A's / Blue Jays / D'backs / Marlins / Rays / Red Sox / Twins / Yankees

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueagleace1 View Post
    Saw that as well, and they weren't listed. The teams listed are: A's / Blue Jays / D'backs / Marlins / Rays / Red Sox / Twins / Yankees
    Looks like Jay's an NL kinda guy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Looks like Jay's an NL kinda guy.
    Haha... and he doesn't like the AL East!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    With the Rangers being interested in Upton, could a deal that looks like this get done?

Justin Upton and Gus Schlosser to the Rangers for Leonys Martin, Jurickson Profar, and Alex Gonzalez