User Tag List

Page 2 of 98 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 1957

Thread: Braves donate Justin Upton to Padres for prospects

  1. #21
    Hessmania Forever
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    10,547
    Thanks
    3,404
    Thanked 5,432 Times in 3,338 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRule View Post
    He wasn't offered a contract, so you can't really say that....despite what the rumors are. You have no way to know what Jason would have said if we offered him a contract with T, Freddie, Simmons. Rumors are rumors and they might be from good sources but those rumors are after we never offered him a contract.
    I think both sides knew the parameters of what each side would be willing to offer/sign. This isn't a take it or leave it business, but if the Stanton contract is the new normal for top-end players, Heyward wanted to at least be in the low-rent part of that neighborhood.

    PS--I should amend that to "Heyward likely wanted." We don't know what he wants exactly.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 11-21-2014 at 04:25 PM.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

    Hawk (11-21-2014),jpx7 (11-22-2014)

  3. #22
    Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    10,515
    Thanks
    4,339
    Thanked 4,304 Times in 2,445 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    You're right...I shouldn't have even responded.
    It's fine for you to have the opinion that you do -- you aren't the only one.

    But before you go around making baseless claims, you at least owe it to everybody who is reading to get your facts straight.

    JMO.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

    jpx7 (11-22-2014),Metaphysicist (11-22-2014)

  5. #23
    Spring Training Invitee gtcway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    292
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked 50 Times in 34 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRule View Post
    He wasn't offered a contract, so you can't really say that....despite what the rumors are. You have no way to know what Jason would have said if we offered him a contract with T, Freddie, Simmons. Rumors are rumors and they might be from good sources but those rumors are after we never offered him a contract.
    What's the point of offering a contract if his agent told the Braves that without an offer of at least 220 million, he would become a free agent? Not saying that's exactly what happened, but it seems likely what did.

  6. #24
    Shift Leader thethe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    34,582
    Thanks
    3,776
    Thanked 3,869 Times in 2,817 Posts
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    It's fine for you to have the opinion that you do -- you aren't the only one.

    But before you go around making baseless claims, you at least owe it to everybody who is reading to get your facts straight.
    And I never said that Jason turned down a contract offer so please don't make baseless claims about what I said.
    Warm feelings guy!

  7. #25
    Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    11,454
    Thanks
    87
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 872 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This board will explode when Jason extents with Stl for 6 years, 120 million.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

  8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

    bravesnumberone (11-21-2014),BRule (11-21-2014),Metaphysicist (11-22-2014),UNCBlue012 (11-21-2014)

  9. #26
    Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    10,515
    Thanks
    4,339
    Thanked 4,304 Times in 2,445 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRule View Post
    He wasn't offered a contract, so you can't really say that....despite what the rumors are. You have no way to know what Jason would have said if we offered him a contract with T, Freddie, Simmons. Rumors are rumors and they might be from good sources but those rumors are after we never offered him a contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Well I believe what ramadon posted on here so I guess to each his own.
    The implication could not be more clear cut.

    If you want to try to wriggle away (on the basis of 'well, I didn't actually say that') now that you've been called out, fine.

  10. #27
    BBQ Lead Hostess BRule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,015
    Thanks
    206
    Thanked 426 Times in 282 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gtcway View Post
    What's the point of offering a contract if his agent told the Braves that without an offer of at least 220 million, he would become a free agent? Not saying that's exactly what happened, but it seems likely what did.
    Because you can say whatever you want but if someone offers you 150 mil, it's hard to say no. Granted Jason might have said no and probably would have BUT at least we would have tried and made offer.....rather than just throwing our hands up and saying "yeah he wasn't signing with us"
    The Atlanta Braves signed Nick Markakis for 4/45 - Never forget 12/3/2014

    "Klay Thompson > James Harden" - Heyward

    "Chris Bosh is the MVP of the Miami Heat" - Heyward

    "Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard"- Heyward


    "Steven Adams will be a top 10 center in two years - thethe

  11. #28
    Lynchburg Prospect sentenza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mülheim an der Ruhr
    Posts
    488
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 46 Times in 33 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    This board will explode when Jason extents with Stl for 6 years, 120 million.
    I think St. Louis can't and won't pay this. On their board they hate the trade, because they think Jason will be there only this season.

  12. #29
    Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    10,515
    Thanks
    4,339
    Thanked 4,304 Times in 2,445 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRule View Post
    Because you can say whatever you want but if someone offers you 150 mil, it's hard to say no. Granted Jason might have said no and probably would have BUT at least we would have tried and made offer.....rather than just throwing our hands up and saying "yeah he wasn't signing with us"
    Precisely.

    Why is this so hard to understand? Red Sox did this with Lester last offseason.

    Although I'm beginning to wonder, more and more, if the Braves FO simply didn't like Heyward. It makes more sense than any of these other half-baked scenarios floating around.

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

    bravesnumberone (11-21-2014),holden (11-23-2014),jpx7 (11-22-2014)

  14. #30
    Shift Leader thethe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    34,582
    Thanks
    3,776
    Thanked 3,869 Times in 2,817 Posts
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    The implication could not be more clear cut.

    If you want to try to wriggle away (on the basis of 'well, I didn't actually say that') now that you've been called out, fine.
    I didn't actually say that Jason turned down a contract and neither did ramadon. I'm not even sure what you are accusing me of trying to wiggle away from.
    Warm feelings guy!

  15. #31
    Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    10,515
    Thanks
    4,339
    Thanked 4,304 Times in 2,445 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I didn't actually say that Jason turned down a contract and neither did ramadon. I'm not even sure what you are accusing me of trying to wiggle away from.
    Ok.

  16. #32
    Lynchburg Prospect sentenza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mülheim an der Ruhr
    Posts
    488
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 46 Times in 33 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we trade JUp, will we then keep Gattis this season? Or will we trade him, too?

  17. #33
    Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    11,454
    Thanks
    87
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 872 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Heyward would have been here if he didn't want to get paid like a superstar.
    Heyward would be here if he didn't want to get paid what someone will pay him.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

    holden (11-23-2014)

  19. #34
    Shift Leader thethe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    34,582
    Thanks
    3,776
    Thanked 3,869 Times in 2,817 Posts
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Heyward would be here if he didn't want to get paid what someone will pay him.
    agreed
    Warm feelings guy!

  20. #35
    High School Draftee
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    78
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 26 Times in 15 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave Cameron made a compelling argument on fangraphs that Upton should not cost more then Heyward.

  21. #36
    PosiBraves Hell Gatekeeper
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    17,424
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 5,582 Times in 3,306 Posts
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I'd like to get more than just Walker. Get Chris Taylor in the deal as well or Gab Guerrero.
    I honestly think Hart will be lucky to get Walker or Paxton for 1 year of JUp. Remember, the Cards "loved" Heyward and only gave up Shelby Miller for him.

    I would imagine Heyward and JUp have very similar trade values right now (Heyward is cheaper with a better all around game, JUp with the most coveted RH power), so if Hart gets Walker plus anything else for JUp he should be lauded.

  22. #37
    Fredi Gonzalez Supporter Dalyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Your mom
    Posts
    12,149
    Thanks
    5,740
    Thanked 5,156 Times in 2,966 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampere View Post
    Dave Cameron made a compelling argument on fangraphs that Upton should not cost more then Heyward.
    No team out there thinks they can get Justin Upton for less than Miller and Jenkins. Come on...

  23. #38
    It's OVER 5,000! Braves1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    14,387
    Thanks
    7,534
    Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,586 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    No team out there thinks they can get Justin Upton for less than Miller and Jenkins. Come on...
    Plus another point made in the comments of that article is that Cameron is bias towards the M's (and the M's are the team that seems to be the most interested in trading for Justin Upton).

  24. #39
    It's OVER 5,000! cajunrevenge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    uranus
    Posts
    10,347
    Thanks
    3,135
    Thanked 2,574 Times in 1,663 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea of trading Justin for Walker but I want a little quantity to go with trading Justin and Heyward. I want at least a couple marginal prospects thrown in. We need the depth.

    If I am Hart I am trying to expand the deal to get them to take Chris Johnson and/or include DJ Peterson without giving up any of our core players. Maybe something like Justin/Johnson/Gattis for Walker/Peterson/Gurrero/Kivlehan. High price to pay but it would make the Mariners instant world series favorites.
    Last edited by cajunrevenge; 11-21-2014 at 04:55 PM.
    "State power feeds on crisis and enemies"

    John T. Flynn 1944

  25. #40
    Shift Leader thethe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    34,582
    Thanks
    3,776
    Thanked 3,869 Times in 2,817 Posts
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I like the idea of trading Justin for Walker but I want a little quantity to go with trading Justin and Heyward. I want at least a couple marginal prospects thrown in. We need the depth.
    The depth of the organization won't start again for another three years.
    Warm feelings guy!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •