Page 7 of 98 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves donate Justin Upton to Padres for prospects

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Ms have a ton of pieces that could fit the Braves well. Guys like Walker, Miller, Saunders, and several others fill in the holes perfectly. I imagine Gattis or JUp (or maybe both) will be heading there for a package that fills at least 2 holes in the current roster.

I still think a blockbuster JUp/Gattis trade for Walker/Miller/Saunders/prospect makes a lot of sense.

Then the Braves sign Tomas and Aoki to fill the OF.

C CB
    1B Freeman
    2B Peraza/Miller
    3B CJ/Miller
    SS Simmons
    LF Tomas
    CF Saunders
    RF Aoki

SPs Teheran, Wood, Walker, Minor, Miller
    If we could get that deal and them to take (most of) ****ty Upton as part of the price for getting the two RH bats they're looking for I'd wet myself.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    If we could get that deal and them to take (most of) ****ty Upton as part of the price for getting the two RH bats they're looking for I'd wet myself.
    Well they won't. Figure JUp and Walker are about equal in value, and Gattis is worth Miller and Saunders plus some prospect gravy. Drop the prospect, add a chunk of cash from the Braves side, and there might be a chance.

Problem is BJ would likely serve well as a 4th OFer and platoon partner with Saunders (not to mention Saunders is considered injury prone), so I think I would rather have BJ on the bench plus the extra prospect.

I could see a valid argument for the trade being BJ/JUp/Gattis/Cash for Walker/Miller/Saunders though, depending on how the saved cash was used.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-22-2014 at 05:31 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I don't think I touch Ackley unless they wanted to add him as a throw in, which they won't. His ability to get on base is a huge concern, even in the 2nd half of last yr. And he's a LFer with not that much pop.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I don't think I touch Ackley unless they wanted to add him as a throw in, which they won't. His ability to get on base is a huge concern, even in the 2nd half of last yr. And he's a LFer with not that much pop.
    He can also play 2B (although he was quite decent in LF for Seattle last year).

If the Braves could nab him on the cheap I would love to throw him out there -- especially over guys like Pastornicky/Gosselin where the upside is basically nil. Ackley has a tremendous raw skillset and I think it would do him a lot of good to get back to his geographical roots.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Figure JUp and Walker are about equal in value, and Gattis is worth Miller and Saunders plus some prospect gravy. Drop the prospect, add a chunk of cash from the Braves side, and there might be a chance.

I could see a valid argument for the trade being BJ/JUp/Gattis/Cash for Walker/Miller/Saunders though, depending on how the saved cash was used.
    This would be beautiful.

BTW, Safeco is an unbelievably bad hitter's dungeon. Way worse than Turner. Maybe not as bad as Petco, but beef up or down stats accordingly.

If you put Seager in Yankee Stadium, he'd be Eddie Mathews.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    He can also play 2B (although he was quite decent in LF for Seattle last year).

If the Braves could nab him on the cheap I would love to throw him out there -- especially over guys like Pastornicky/Gosselin where the upside is basically nil. Ackley has a tremendous raw skillset and I think it would do him a lot of good to get back to his geographical roots.

See my comments on hitting in Safeco.

His swing looked really good - even beautiful- in July/August last year. He carried that team for two months. I think the only reason he was moved to left was they had Franklin, and Miller, and Taylor, and somebody had to go. And of course then they signed Cano, so he's never going back there up here. But he can play it pretty well. And an .800 OPS isn't out of the question if you get him out of there.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

Hawk (11-22-2014)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Olney: "Rival evaluators expect that the Braves will trade Justin Upton after the trade of Jason Heyward. But, although some understand the Braves’ efforts to land young, controllable pitching, like Shelby Miller, they wonder why Atlanta has seemed focused solely on pitching in its proposed deals rather than just taking the best players available. “If they only talk to teams that are willing to discuss front-line pitching prospects,” said one AL official, “they’re going to limit themselves.” Additionally, evaluators say, it’s actually more difficult right now to find good young position players than it is to find pitching."

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (11-22-2014), bravesnumberone (11-22-2014), Dalyn (11-22-2014)

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,023 Posts
    I wonder seriously if we are even bothering to have extension talks with Justin.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mad Dog Murph's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    246 Posts
    Being a baseball season ticket holder at UNC for 15 years....I watched both Ackley and Seager play and it amazes me how their careers have turned out. Ackley was, without a doubt, one of the best college hitters I have ever seen....he was amazing. Seagar, while a very good player, was not the prospect Ackley was. Yet, Seager is having the better pro career...so far. Not surprising, just interesting how these things turn out. I think some hitting coach messed with Ackley's mechanics and he has not gotten it back. He is only 26 so there is time.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Olney: "Rival evaluators expect that the Braves will trade Justin Upton after the trade of Jason Heyward. But, although some understand the Braves’ efforts to land young, controllable pitching, like Shelby Miller, they wonder why Atlanta has seemed focused solely on pitching in its proposed deals rather than just taking the best players available. “If they only talk to teams that are willing to discuss front-line pitching prospects,” said one AL official, “they’re going to limit themselves.” Additionally, evaluators say, it’s actually more difficult right now to find good young position players than it is to find pitching."
    I couldn't agree more. I sure hope we aren't just focused on pitching. We actually have good pitching right now. Our hitting on the other hand stinks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Yeah, I've wondered that as well, but it's possible the Braves have changed their philosophy after getting two good young pitchers in the Heyward deal. Hart has recently stated that suddenly the Braves option are almost infinite at this point. Will be an interesting Winter Meetings.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    No. Impossible. They took the best offer available. No way they limited their return by focusing on the team's strength (last year).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    I wonder seriously if we are even bothering to have extension talks with Justin.
    Sure. They talked for about ten minutes when he was traded. Plenty of time.

Playing the Waiting Game BremanFan88's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    216 Posts
    The Braves have always gone about things through the perception of need over talent. It's why we traded Tex for Kotchman, why we drafted Joey Devine. It's probably why we drafted Jon Gilmore over Mike Stanton. I don't think it's a particular great philosophy but that and just go after pitching are the Braves Way.
    All you need is Hart and Cox.

Playing the Waiting Game BremanFan88's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    Sure. They talked for about ten minutes when he was traded. Plenty of time.
    Justin probably asked for a non-insulting offer and they hung up.
    All you need is Hart and Cox.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BremanFan88 View Post
    The Braves have always gone about things through the perception of need over talent. It's why we traded Tex for Kotchman, why we drafted Joey Devine. It's probably why we drafted Jon Gilmore over Mike Stanton. I don't think it's a particular great philosophy but that and just go after pitching are the Braves Way.
    It takes real focus to build one of the worst offenses in the game.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (11-22-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,023 Posts
    But, by trading the rest of our offense for great pitching, we'll save money and go sign Torii the motherfreaking man Hunter, who will help us for 2017.

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Yeah, I've wondered that as well, but it's possible the Braves have changed their philosophy after getting two good young pitchers in the Heyward deal. Hart has recently stated that suddenly the Braves option are almost infinite at this point. Will be an interesting Winter Meetings.
    Another way to look at it is like this: If they can get numerous high-end pitching prospects then that will allow you to flip them or Sims/Hursh/Cabrera/Martin or Mike Minor for a positional player when the time comes.
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    But, by trading the rest of our offense for great pitching, we'll save money and go sign Torii the motherfreaking man Hunter, who will help us for 2017.
    We WILL need a new manager.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (11-22-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,023 Posts